Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    As I think i've mentioned before I have a twin brother who also has a Cam offer - The ******* has a low offer of ABB and I need AAA. I think it will be quite tough if I don't get in. Not that i'm competitive but I just think i'll feel horrible. I wll stay in touch with a few people (if I get in) but very few of them are from my school.

MB
    LMAO! Love the new avatar!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amateurish)
    very true! i did a level textiles (the art one, not technology) and i have to say i found it harder and definitely more work than all my other subjects put together. in fact, before i decided on anthropology i was seriously considering doing foundation art & going to art school...i think different degrees are hard for different reasons. I'm sure i would have found art school a lot tougher than cambridge!
    I agree..i did DT GCSE....and i found it the hardest out of all my subjects....there was so much work required!!! My folder at the end of the year ended up being 120 pages of A3!!!!!! :eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    LMAO! Love the new avatar!

G

Thanks

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    My subject may not be as good as theirs but there is no better subject for me! Or even one that would enthral me as much! What annoys me is her telling me how very 'capable' I am to do medicine therefore assumes that I should...daft logic if you ask me! Science grades at A-level do not automatically convert to good doctors; I'd be a mess! She keeps going on about how it's not late to change courses! Never mind, I suppose I often show the same disregard for those that don't love archaeology (but surely that's only natural anyway!? )

Fabulous Wessex trip??? Tell me more!!! (I know it's in the first term & you travel around but that's all!)
    exactly, choice of subject is all about what you enjoy and where you have flair. i know people in arch&anth with all science a-levels! there's plenty of subjects i could have applied for if i'd wanted to (not that i'd necessarily succeed ) but didn't because i knew they weren't right for me.

oh, the wessex trip is funny. whether it's fun or not depends very much on the weather (it was grey and windy and miserable for us) and who runs it, though. the year above us at college said that theirs was fantastic. i didn't find mine quite as fun but it was good to get a weekend away and it costs something like £15 so all in all it's not too bad. you get to look around stonehenge, and some other random monuments like avebury and that massive soil mound i can never remember the name of. my favourite bit was being marched to the top of a hill and asked "can you see any archaeology from here? look, some ancient field formations!". i still can't tell the difference between ancient fields and normal fields i think quite a lot of the point of it was to make people make friends (which is another reason arch&anth is good - there's only about 50-60 people per year so you pretty much recognise/talk to everyone).

ReputationRep:
    I agree..i did DT GCSE....and i found it the hardest out of all my subjects....there was so much work required!!! My folder at the end of the year ended up being 120 pages of A3!!!!!! :eek:

G
    I never had holidays in 6th form because i had to spend them finishing all my art modules i have sympathy for gcse tech students... we were forced to take it because my school was a technology college :rolleyes:. sooo boooring...

ReputationRep:
    I never had holidays in 6th form because i had to spend them finishing all my art modules i have sympathy for gcse tech students... we were forced to take it because my school was a technology college :rolleyes:. sooo boooring...
    Art...god..i remember the art students had soooo much work to do!!! And then at the end of the year..the teacher just threw all the old display work into the skip!! :eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    Art...god..i remember the art students had soooo much work to do!!! And then at the end of the year..the teacher just threw all the old display work into the skip!! :eek:

G
    heh, all my art stuff is still sitting around at my old school. i went to see this year's alevel exhibition and i have a feeling it might have "inspired" a couple of projects this year, lol.

ReputationRep:

G
    just take some photos of your bedroom. installation like. i don´t see why art has to involve work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I think I was the only person to get an offer to read medicine out of the people at the college I took the BMAT at. I got a lot higher than everyone on that anyway. Then I look at the results all the other medics on here got and feel really stupid!

Cambridge is on course to take me down a peg or twenty..!
    I think it does that to nearly everyone. I didn't even take the BMAT, so I have no idea what all these little Freshies are talking about :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    just take some photos of your bedroom. installation like. i don´t see why art has to involve work.
    Hehe...did anyone see that sculpture by Banksy put up yesterday?? It has the lady of Justice with her skirt hiked up wearing garters and stuff

I thought it was quite funny

G

ReputationRep:

G
    aaah... art. hard work but worth it! i loved my art lessons and worked really hard, but there were some in my class who took it out of the mistaken belief that it would be easy! art took up about 50% of my time, i'd say, but i enjoyed it, so i didn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    aaah... art. hard work but worth it! i loved my art lessons and worked really hard, but there were some in my class who took it out of the mistaken belief that it would be easy! art took up about 50% of my time, i'd say, but i enjoyed it, so i didn't mind.
    I think i'd have enjoyed art...mainly cos there was one time in art i heard about..where they put a guy into a box that had holes in it...and then squirted paint into the box while he was still in there!!!!

Ahhhh..school!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I think you would find textiles harder than you think.. you not only need practical skills and theoretical knowledge but that artistic "flair". I am sure I would be terrible at textiles!

I don't think we gain anything from ****ging off students who are talented in different areas to ourselves. I think we have to guard against being arrogant just because we have offers for Cambridge/medicine etc.

rosie
    I would also be abysmal at textiles. It is fair to state, however, that we are probably more intelligent than the average guy on the street.

I don't mean to sound arrogant. I am just articulating an opinion which appears truistic to me.

ReputationRep:
    very true! i did a level textiles (the art one, not technology) and i have to say i found it harder and definitely more work than all my other subjects put together. in fact, before i decided on anthropology i was seriously considering doing foundation art & going to art school...i think different degrees are hard for different reasons. I'm sure i would have found art school a lot tougher than cambridge!
    I have a friend who knows lots of girls (about 5, at least!) who went to college with him and then went to do a foundation course in Bournemouth to gain entry to that sort of thing at Winchester.

They all seem nice people and, if they have talents in that area, then good on them. Padraig Mac Piarais said, upon being confronted with a parent saying that his child was good for nothing but playing the tin whistle, "buy him a tin whistle". If it's good enough for Pearse, it's certainly good enough for me! Nevertheless, I still think that the average dude doing anything at Oxbridge is going to be more intelligent than your average Winchester Art student.

ReputationRep:

G
    I bet you still got an A though..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    I guess you need to be artistic if you want to do architecture!

ReputationRep:
    exactly, choice of subject is all about what you enjoy and where you have flair. i know people in arch&anth with all science a-levels! there's plenty of subjects i could have applied for if i'd wanted to (not that i'd necessarily succeed ) but didn't because i knew they weren't right for me.

oh, the wessex trip is funny. whether it's fun or not depends very much on the weather (it was grey and windy and miserable for us) and who runs it, though. the year above us at college said that theirs was fantastic. i didn't find mine quite as fun but it was good to get a weekend away and it costs something like £15 so all in all it's not too bad. you get to look around stonehenge, and some other random monuments like avebury and that massive soil mound i can never remember the name of. my favourite bit was being marched to the top of a hill and asked "can you see any archaeology from here? look, some ancient field formations!". i still can't tell the difference between ancient fields and normal fields i think quite a lot of the point of it was to make people make friends (which is another reason arch&anth is good - there's only about 50-60 people per year so you pretty much recognise/talk to everyone).
    Your ancient fields story brings back painfull (yet strangly happy) memories from last summer's training excavation! Spent at least two hours on my knees in trench battering my knuckles to pieces looking for 'buried soil'! What did I learn? All soil in one area looks the exactly the same however old and that my trowel & sticky clay do not get on! Some of the photos on the various websites involving the Wessex trip seem a bit crazy...people hugging/climbing standing stones & the like! :cool:

Had a phone call today from the local HSBC bank asking me lots of seemingly pointless questions (why do they need to know how I think my exams went and what I studied!?) and apparently they still offer the 5-year railcards but only up until the end of August. I've already filled in my bank details on the financial forms which will be different when I open a student account...wonder if that matters if I'm keeping the other ones anyway?

I would also be abysmal at textiles. It is fair to state, however, that we are probably more intelligent than the average guy on the street.

I don't mean to sound arrogant. I am just articulating an opinion which appears truistic to me.
    probably, yes, but being good at one area academically (which is what you need for Cambridge) isn't the same as other kinds of intelligence/skill etc that are just as important.. and we are also very privileged to be able to go to university and get an education - a lot of older people in particular have/had the abilities needed to go to med school, cambridge etc but even staying on at school was pretty rare then..

I just don't think we gain anything from sitting around going "well we are more intelligent than these people and those people", even if true. It just makes us sound smug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I just don't think we gain anything from sitting around going "well we are more intelligent than these people and those people", even if true. It just makes us sound smug.
    I agree... I never went on about it. My daddy sent me to do an IQ test when I was 13 and I got a pretty high score, but I don't go on about it. I understand that it is irrelevant to everyday life. Likewise I didn't ever put anyone down here - I merely made a single comment which, I feel, was taken to have more malice in it than was ever intended!

If common sense was sine qua non of university entrance, I would have difficulty getting into the former Polytechnic in Portsmouth... *said with the kind of malice Southampton people have in their hearts for Pompey people *

I'm off to bed soon so I wake up early to drive down to Dover so I can go get lots of Passoa!

I agree... I never went on about it. My daddy sent me to do an IQ test when I was 13 and I got a pretty high score, but I don't go on about it. I understand that it is irrelevant to everyday life. Likewise I didn't ever put anyone down here - I merely made a single comment which, I feel, was taken to have more malice in it than was ever intended!

If common sense was sine qua non of university entrance, I would have difficulty getting into the former Polytechnic in Portsmouth... *said with the kind of malice Southampton people have in their hearts for Pompey people *

I'm off to bed soon so I wake up early to drive down to Dover so I can go get lots of Passoa!
    yeah, sorry, it wasnt intended as an attack on you.. more general musings!

OH DUDE PASSOA............ok.......... POL IS MORE INTELLIGENT THAN ANYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!!!!! but only when he gives me passoa

better?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.