Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    so she knows how to declare as little of her earnings as possible,

don't mean to be preachy but shouldn't that money be reserved for people who actually need it?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Paying back....that doesn't happen for another 3 years Squishy!!! Short term......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmo ney

G
    Hehe, I'd rather live on bread and water than have to ask my mum for more money. She's spent years on me trying to make me a responsible earner, spender and saver. First she'd give me a look that would turn me to stone. Then I'd be made of stone.

(Original post by musicboy)
    don't mean to be preachy but shouldn't that money be reserved for people who actually need it?

MB
    I'm going to be paying taxes for the rest of my life. I don't think having an extra £2000 over some richer people now is going to hurt the country.

I'm getting £4095 plus £858 Dependants' Grant. My mum's an accountant, so she knows how to declare as little of her earnings as possible, but in all honesty, she doesn't earn much.
    who depends on you? or am i confused? rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    who depends on you? or am i confused? rosie
    I don't understand it either, but hey it's money.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (this could go on all day )

the only thing I can find on the DFES student support site about dependents' grants is:

Adult Dependants' grant - If you have a husband, wife or partner or another adult member of your family who depends on you financially, you may be eligible. How much you get depends on your income and that of your adult dependants.
    What can you get? Up to £2,335 a year for full-time students with adult dependants.

so if you dont have anyone depending on you.. (and I'd imagine you'd know if you did!)...then possibly they have made a mistake and you won't be keeping the money..?

they made a mistake with my first financial notification giving me >£1k more than they should have done, but have sorted it now

ReputationRep:
    (this could go on all day )
    :cool: indeed it could fellow sewage worker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    so if you dont have anyone depending on you.. (and I'd imagine you'd know if you did!)...then possibly they have made a mistake and you won't be keeping the money..?
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it looks like it was a mistake. But whatever, if they give the money to me, they're going to get it back anyway, so I don't really care.

visesh, look at this. We must do something about it in years to come. :eek:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it looks like it was a mistake. But whatever, if they give the money to me, they're going to get it back anyway, so I don't really care.

well, it's a grant not a loan, so they wouldn't get it back in the sense that you have to repay it...

i mean its no big deal, but if you spend it all, and then they suddenly realise and ask for it back, you are going to be a bit stuck is all i am thinking

stick it in a high interest account and try not to spend it

rosie

ReputationRep:
    :eek: this looks like a job for SEWAGE MAN! :rolleyes:

:eek: this looks like a job for SEWAGE MAN! :rolleyes:

or SEWAGE MEN, dont you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    well, it's a grant not a loan, so they wouldn't get it back in the sense that you have to repay it...

i mean its no big deal, but if you spend it all, and then they suddenly realise and ask for it back, you are going to be a bit stuck is all i am thinking
    Well, of course they lose out when the value of the pound inflates, but I doubt it's significant to them.

But no, I'm not going to fritter my money away. I've guarded it carefully so far.

Well, of course they lose out when the value of the pound inflates, but I doubt it's significant to them.

But no, I'm not going to fritter my money away. I've guarded it carefully so far.
    i didn't mean you would fritter it away but £5k is easily spent as a student on totally non-frittery things like rent!

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    or SEWAGE MEN, dont you think?
    True true...sorry squishy, I was selfish. I am sure there is plenty for us both to do. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i didn't mean you would fritter it away but £5k is easily spent as a student on totally non-frittery things like rent!

rosie
    Yeah, I know...I'm hoping £2.5k is going to be enough to cover rent (including electricity and other charges, but not food) for next year. But I have some savings, and I'll be working during the holidays anyway, so it should be OK.

True true...sorry squishy, I was selfish. I am sure there is plenty for us both to do. :cool:
    Heh, I was actually going to suggest sewagepersons actually, in this politically-correct day and age.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know...I'm hoping £2.5k is going to be enough to cover rent (including electricity and other charges, but not food) for next year. But I have some savings, and I'll be working during the holidays anyway, so it should be OK.
    I have no idea how much it's gonna cost me to live as a student...i really need to think about opening up a bank account as well....for the free railcard...bah..i hate thinking about things like this...why doesn't someone do it for you???

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I have no idea how much it's gonna cost me to live as a student...i really need to think about opening up a bank account as well....for the free railcard...bah..i hate thinking about things like this...why doesn't someone do it for you???

G
    Well, I'll have your bank account if you don't want it. *evil grin*

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.