Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I have no idea how much it's gonna cost me to live as a student...i really need to think about opening up a bank account as well....for the free railcard...bah..i hate thinking about things like this...
    G
    Ud better hurry up!

why doesn't someone do it for you???
    Maybe it has something to do with us all being adults?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Well, I'll have your bank account if you don't want it. *evil grin*
    Lol...no..it's ok....i'll keep it for myself...it's just effort actually going and setting one up!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Ud better hurry up!
    I heard the deadline for setting one up with HSBC was the 21st of this month...is that right???

Maybe it has something to do with us all being adults?
    Legally i might be an adult....but mentally is another question

G

ReputationRep:
    i dont know whether to take the 50 quid or the railcard. I dont know hwo much i'll use the trains you see!

ReputationRep:
    I heard the deadline for setting one up with HSBC was the 21st of this month...is that right???
    I am not totally sure (crana is the financial queen here...) You still have to hurry up though!

Legally i might be an adult....but mentally is another question
    **wishes i was an adult in both respects**

ReputationRep:
    **wishes i was an adult in both respects**
    When's your birthday then??

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    i dont know whether to take the 50 quid or the railcard. I dont know hwo much i'll use the trains you see!
    Surely you'd use it reasonably regularly to travel to and from cambridge????

Also..it last 5 years....so you'd probably use it a fair bit over that amount of time

G

ReputationRep:
    When's your birthday then??

G
    Middle of November (the 12th to be precise)

(Original post by Willla2)
    I think to buy the railcard itself would cost you around £95, and it would total to being more than that if you bought 5 1-year ones..

IIRC my single-fare-with-train card from cambrdige to nottingham was about £20, so it would have been about £30 otherwise..

so if I make 1 single trip between nottingham and cambridge each year for the next 5 years, I would save more than the £50 incentive

so considering visiting friends at other unis/home/holidays/etc, i think the railcard is the better deal..unless you dont plan ever to go by train.

(Also, you had to have an unconditional offer to get the £50, although I dont know if that will change once results come out)
    rosie

regarding bank accountys etc, does anyone else get really pissed off by all the **** UCAS send you going ooh ooh we dont promote anyone but here is a letter JUST ABOUT SOME CRAPPY ADVERTISING OF BARCLAYCARD

it ticks me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    regarding bank accountys etc, does anyone else get really pissed off by all the **** UCAS send you going ooh ooh we dont promote anyone but here is a letter JUST ABOUT SOME CRAPPY ADVERTISING OF BARCLAYCARD

it ticks me off
    i got a letter from UCAS promoting the BMA today :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    UCAS haven't sent me any promotions. I thought they were allowed to send them to you if you had ticked a box when you applied (or forgot to untick one).

ReputationRep:
    Regarding being arrogant and telling everyone about your offer, some people I know have started telling everyone about it. It's so annoying, I'd rather tell people if and when I wanted rather than it being everyone's first impression of me. I am more than just a student!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Regarding being arrogant and telling everyone about your offer, some people I know have started telling everyone about it. It's so annoying, I'd rather tell people if and when I wanted rather than it being everyone's first impression of me. I am more than just a student!
    hear hear. my parents are the worst. if anyone asks what im doing they just blab on about my offer when to be honest i'd rather just say "i'm going to university next year hopefully"

ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    One of the boys at my school applied to Oxford this year for Classics (not heavily subscribed, plus he did extra Greek and Latin and was good at it, so it seemed like he was almost certainly going to get in). Then he was rejected, and his parents comforted him by saying, "Don't worry, we still love you." I'm sure they didn't mean it to sound like that, but we teased him about it for ages. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

it ticks me off
    aargh i got that. what a waste of paper! i should have unticked that box... :rolleyes: i also got a letter from the LEA giving me this code to register on their website, and then when i went on their site, they said they hadn't got around to setting that function up yet :rolleyes:
    so still nothing concrete form the LEA... :mad: the only reason i have any idea is cos they have a calculator thing which estimates it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Adult Dependants' grant - If you have a husband, wife or partner or another adult member of your family who depends on you financially, you may be eligible. How much you get depends on your income and that of your adult dependants.
    What can you get? Up to £2,335 a year for full-time students with adult dependants.
    Ok... I think from hearing from a few people receiving this, that it's actually wrongly named at the moment and will later be renamed "Higher Education Grant" or something. I'm not sure what you get it for, but it's not for having kids. It's not repayable, and I don't get it :mad:

Pisses me off that everyone assumes that because my parents pay full fees, I must be rolling in it, when in fact they don't actually give me any money, so I'm getting by on less than all these people from less well-off backgrounds (and we are by no means wealthy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ok... I think from hearing from a few people receiving this, that it's actually wrongly named at the moment and will later be renamed "Higher Education Grant" or something. I'm not sure what you get it for, but it's not for having kids. It's not repayable, and I don't get it :mad:
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, it certainly is repayable. That fact is made quite clear on my form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Pisses me off that everyone assumes that because my parents pay full fees, I must be rolling in it, when in fact they don't actually give me any money, so I'm getting by on less than all these people from less well-off backgrounds (and we are by no means wealthy).
    Lots of us pay full fees and have the minimum loan, deary. At least you now have a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Lots of us pay full fees and have the minimum loan, deary. At least you now have a job.
    Lots of us don't have trust funds to back us up in the holidays, sweetie. Job is good though

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.