Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Lots of us don't have trust funds to back us up in the holidays, sweetie. Job is good though
    :eek: It's lies people, all lies.......

Think I got away with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Think I got away with that!
    And for your next trick...Westminster? Where? Who?

ReputationRep:
    And for your next trick...Westminster? Where? Who?
    I went to the City of Westminster College, innit?

Ok... I think from hearing from a few people receiving this, that it's actually wrongly named at the moment and will later be renamed "Higher Education Grant" or something. I'm not sure what you get it for, but it's not for having kids. It's not repayable, and I don't get it :mad:

Pisses me off that everyone assumes that because my parents pay full fees, I must be rolling in it, when in fact they don't actually give me any money, so I'm getting by on less than all these people from less well-off backgrounds (and we are by no means wealthy).
    well, since it says it's for adults dependent on you e.g. wife, it wouldn't be for having kids would it

ReputationRep:
    Ok... I think from hearing from a few people receiving this, that it's actually wrongly named at the moment and will later be renamed "Higher Education Grant" or something. I'm not sure what you get it for, but it's not for having kids. It's not repayable, and I don't get it :mad:

Pisses me off that everyone assumes that because my parents pay full fees, I must be rolling in it, when in fact they don't actually give me any money, so I'm getting by on less than all these people from less well-off backgrounds (and we are by no means wealthy).
    Oh dear...I think I may have done something quite stupid then! The first forms I had back very kindly decided I should be allowed a £3000 dependants grant (Which I assumed was intended for people with kids), now I know I come from Torfaen and therefore having 3 kids at the tender age of 18 is not uncommon, but I don't so I rang them up and said thanks but no thanks! The next set gave me £1000 Higher Education Grant which I assume is correct (double checked with school actually!) but on the one set of forms (I have a nice collection now!) it's called that the dependants grant...was the first one right after all? Have I refused an extra £2000? :confused:

I think this new Higher Education Grant thing is for students starting in 2004, my sister won't get it and is sulking like mad over it! I was also told it's not a repayable one, which is quite nice!

Someone asked how some people some people are getting over £5000, my explanation...I just live with my sisters & mum, my dad contributes nothing to anything (I think that makes sense?) and hasn't for years (he doesn't have to as long as he stays out of work, he owes the CSA thousands but won't work so doesn't have to pay; he's not a nice man). They take off a £1000 of your parents’ income for every child left at home, I have a little sister. My mum has just this year returned to nursing, until then she was teaching in special needs departments, which are not known for their high salaries! We live in a proper 'designated socially deprived area' (not that most of Wales isn't ) and I live in a council house...what all that means? Not that much really, just that they're nice & give me money which one day I'll give back!

The system is rubbish; I don't think it's fair at all! The cut off points at either end seem too narrow. One of my friends is well over the top level whilst another of my friends is just over it; they are both expected to contribute the same!

I think that's long enough...if you've read all that you have way too much time and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    i think the system's stupid too. i mean, if my parents earned a couple of thousand less per year, that would mean i didn't have to pay any fees, would get a Higher education grant, and possibly the Sir Isaac Newton Bursay, which would amount to a total of about £1,600 more! i think the cut off point's too sharp... ah well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Regarding being arrogant and telling everyone about your offer, some people I know have started telling everyone about it. It's so annoying, I'd rather tell people if and when I wanted rather than it being everyone's first impression of me. I am more than just a student!
    (Original post by fluffstar)
    i'd rather just say "i'm going to university next year hopefully"

I know what you mean....i do the same thing.....and it was the same after GCSEs...everytime i met someone new around my age..inevitably one of the first questions they asked was what did you get for gcses?

Then when i told them what i got..they just kinda..looked at me weird and i felt really uncomfortable about it....so i switched to saying...yeh..i did well thanks.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    who depends on you? or am i confused? rosie
    I've got £1000 dependants grant thing... I think it's just the dodgy name they give the grant thing they just brought in...

ReputationRep:
    omg! whats happened to our thread? no-one's posted for 9 hours!

ReputationRep:
    i think.....it's.....dying *gulps back tears* :eek:

ReputationRep:
    help! medics! i think the thread is in need of resussitation! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    help! medics! i think the thread is in need of resussitation! :rolleyes:
    Well..i'm not a medic....but i'll do the best i can!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    *yawn*, i want my results now! I can't wait 10 Days, 3 Hours, 14 Mins and 2 Secs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    *yawn*, i want my results now! I can't wait 10 Days, 3 Hours, 14 Mins and 2 Secs!
    I know what you mean!!! It more than that though isn't it?? Unless you're school is open at midnight???:eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    Btw- I just remembered...Scottish Results are out on the 10th..which is Tuesday methinks....and so.....GOOD LUCK!! That goes out to the scots among us...i know Acaila is one...i think The Duck is too....

Everyone else will have to wait at least another week before the frenzy of good lucks begins for us

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Btw- I just remembered...Scottish Results are out on the 10th..which is Tuesday methinks....and so.....GOOD LUCK!! That goes out to the scots among us...i know Acaila is one...i think The Duck is too....

Everyone else will have to wait at least another week before the frenzy of good lucks begins for us

G

yeah, good luck. I'm sure you'll all do great. It would be good to have some feedback on whether cam are giving out many places to those who miss grades (not that any of you will)

MB

ReputationRep:
    i thought they had to wait until the 19th before they can offer any people places if they just miss their grades (because they have to see how many people have got in from the A Level lot. So actually they only need to wait till about the 15th then because that's when they get the results)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    yeah, good luck. I'm sure you'll all do great. It would be good to have some feedback on whether cam are giving out many places to those who miss grades (not that any of you will)

MB
    Hmmmm..i'd love to have my results back on tuesday....it would mean i could get on and prepare for uni(as long as i get the grades)....as opposed to sitting here waiting for another week!

*sigh*

G

ReputationRep:
    1154 days to go til what, musicboy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    i thought they had to wait until the 19th before they can offer any people places if they just miss their grades (because they have to see how many people have got in from the A Level lot. So actually they only need to wait till about the 15th then because that's when they get the results)
    Is it the 15th??i thought it was a week before!

G

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.