Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    on the other hand......passoa makes anything good....so we could just stock up on smartprice bargain juice..and possibly still be able to eat by next summer
    Hmmmm..speaking of money...i still need to open up a student account. If i open up two separate ones..so i get all the stuff they offer me....is that a good thing...or a bad thing to do????

G

(Original post by gzftan)
    Hmmmm..speaking of money...i still need to open up a student account. If i open up two separate ones..so i get all the stuff they offer me....is that a good thing...or a bad thing to do????

G
    ;often you will violate the terms & conditions orf one or both accts by doing this...

however...

my boyfriend opened a HSBC acct last year and got the railcard etc...but left... and is no longer a student etc..but still gets the railcard and what have you so if you only want the freebies i can't really see why you couldn't open an acct and get the stuff... then close it... and open another one... but dont do it to excess - settle with one with a good o/draft etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    ;often you will violate the terms & conditions orf one or both accts by doing this...

however...

my boyfriend opened a HSBC acct last year and got the railcard etc...but left... and is no longer a student etc..but still gets the railcard and what have you so if you only want the freebies i can't really see why you couldn't open an acct and get the stuff... then close it... and open another one... but dont do it to excess - settle with one with a good o/draft etc
    Good point..i think i'll only open a HSBC one..but the Barclays one gives discount at some restaurants and allsports etc..and it mentioned discount on dell pcs...hmmmm..i dunno

G

one nifty idea is to open a savings acct with as high interest as you can but reasonable access to your money..

and say you get a £1000 overdraft

take it out and deposit it together with most of your loan in the savings acct... transfer bits over to your "normal" acct as needed... and you will get a n ice bit of interest... not loads... but it could pay for a week's food or rent or a really good night out or whatever

only problem is the bank might be a bit snarky that you are overdrawn a lot... but hey... you are a student are you not

ReputationRep:
    I think NatWest have the best overdrafting options..and quite a lot of branches as well. HSBC is very good also though...I was tempted to switch, but I've been with NatWest for ages and I'd already given my LEA my NatWest bank account no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    one nifty idea is to open a savings acct with as high interest as you can but reasonable access to your money..

take it out and deposit it together with most of your loan in the savings acct... transfer bits over to your "normal" acct as needed... and you will get a n ice bit of interest... not loads... but it could pay for a week's food or rent or a really good night out or whatever

only problem is the bank might be a bit snarky that you are overdrawn a lot... but hey... you are a student are you not
    Lol....that's clever....might try that out...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I think NatWest have the best overdrafting options..and quite a lot of branches as well. HSBC is very good also though...I was tempted to switch, but I've been with NatWest for ages and I'd already given my LEA my NatWest bank account no.
    Ah..my current account is nationwide..but i'll get the nice railcard!!

G

i like nationwide and am very happy with them.. bu they dont do a student acct..

so i have got a HSBC one for overdraft and studenty stuff but will keep my nationwide accts

Ah..my current account is nationwide..but i'll get the nice railcard!!

G
    snap, my nationwide friend!

incidentally have you got esavings with your flex acct... hey have a good rate of interest.. and as long a you have regualar net access its handy-dandy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i like nationwide and am very happy with them.. bu they dont do a student acct..

so i have got a HSBC one for overdraft and studenty stuff but will keep my nationwide accts
    Yeah..same i reckon...i have a flex account atm with the ebanking..that's got a nice rate of interest....

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

excuse me for being an intruder....just browsing and had something little to add...

during the time when my brother was still a student, hsbc offered him a £1500 free overdraft for the whole duration of his studies. he took the money and put it into a fixed deposit account and earned a lot on interest over the years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    snap, my nationwide friend!

incidentally have you got esavings with your flex acct... hey have a good rate of interest.. and as long a you have regualar net access its handy-dandy
    Hehe..read above post!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    excuse me for being an intruder....just browsing and had something little to add...

during the time when my brother was still a student, hsbc offered him a £1500 free overdraft for the whole duration of his studies. he took the money and put it into a fixed deposit account and earned a lot on interest over the years!
    Thanks for the help .

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)

Meh! I need to spend my overdraft, none of this faffing with high interest accounts! I need something to live on! :eek:

Hehe..read above post!

G
    i still have my smart account.. until... october, or something.. i cant be bothered to change my bank details with work and thats where they pay me, sooo... hehehe

ReputationRep:
    OMG!! I think it's called Coppella??? or something like that,..it's the nicest apple juice ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmm...how about lots of that at the passoa party as well

G
    oooh
    just came upsatirs to turn computer off, just thought i'd check to see what was going on...
    i LOVE Copella Apple, Apple and Mango,mmmmm
    and Welch's Purple grape juice mmmmmmmmmm its like non alcoholic red wine. thick and lovely!
    sorry to distract you from your money talk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i still have my smart account.. until... october, or something.. i cant be bothered to change my bank details with work and thats where they pay me, sooo... hehehe
    Hmmm...they made me close mine down I loved my smart account...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    oooh
    just came upsatirs to turn computer off, just thought i'd check to see what was going on...
    i LOVE Copella Apple, Apple and Mango,mmmmm
    and Welch's Purple grape juice mmmmmmmmmm its like non alcoholic red wine. thick and lovely!
    sorry to distract you from your money talk!
    Hehehe..no problem.....i like talking about yummy food and drinks

Goodnight if you're going!

G

(Original post by Helenia)
    Meh! I need to spend my overdraft, none of this faffing with high interest accounts! I need something to live on! :eek:
    ah but you can put it in a high interest account *until* you need to spend it.. and just take bits out as you need it.. eve nif you only get £20 its worth having.. to me, anyway, any way of acquiring money without actually working is appealing to me...

have recently started playing the free scractchard on gala games........

so far i have won....... DRUMROLL.....................20p !

Hmmm...they made me close mine down I loved my smart account...

G
    im a young un i was only 18 at the end of may

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.