Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone so bored? I've been more busy during the last few weeks then I have during the whole of the exam period.

Congrats to Acaila! Universities will be hearing of English exam results soon, if they haven't already...

ReputationRep:
    awww
    don't worry katie . you don't have to post a pic of your desk. it can be anything! your room your house, you gerbil...
    anything to allay boredom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Why is everyone so bored? I've been more busy during the last few weeks then I have during the whole of the exam period.

Congrats to Acaila! Universities will be hearing of English exam results soon, if they haven't already...
    for the most part i havn't been bored at all this holidays. what with working, meeting friends etc. its just today. i didn't have anything planned, and its too hot to do anything. i'm just feeling kinda lazy...

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling bored as I've had such a busy summer so far, not going anywhere or doing anything is strange! I've been to work today (as I have done everyday since this time last week...not happy about that! :mad: ) and off out in a while dog walking (might take my camera with me!) and that's it for today, sooooooo bored! Most of my friends are also working or away on holiday and those that aren't live too far away to meet up easily! Crappy public transport!

Interesting suggestions of things to do please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    for the most part i havn't been bored at all this holidays. what with working, meeting friends etc. its just today. i didn't have anything planned, and its too hot to do anything. i'm just feeling kinda lazy...
    It is hot...I feel kind of sleepy...but there's so much stuff to do! (Posting on UKL is one of them, honest)

(Original post by Katie J)
    Interesting suggestions of things to do please?
    There's lots of stuff you can do. Read, whistle, invent a language, etc.

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of stuff you can do. Read, whistle, invent a language, etc.
    I'm loving that etc. on the end!! Made me properly laugh out loud!

Read most of the morning, before work & without glasses! :eek:
    Whistle, hmmm, I'm eating a 'fruit & nut' at the moment, could be messy!
    Invent a language, now there's an idea!!

ReputationRep:
    right, that's it, i'm learning esperanto!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Squishy.
    And I can't get a photo of my certificate because my cam isn't working

ReputationRep:
    awww
    i wanted to see it! what happened to your camera?

ReputationRep:
    No idea. Just won't show anything and gives errors

ReputationRep:
    La nova komputilo havas bonan muson

I can speak esperanto!!!!!!
    It's so easy to learn the basic

The above says "The New computer has a good mouse"

The rules are piss easy, it's just a case of praciticing over and over until it becomes natural!

ReputationRep:
    En la komenco Dio kreis la cielon kaj la teron. Kaj la teron estis senforma kaj dezerta, kaj mallumo estis super la abismo; kaj la spirito de Dio svebis super la avko
    Kaj Dio diris, "Estu lumo" kaj farigis lumo.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... i'm sure you can work out the rest!

its from my grandad's Esperanto Bible. don't ask me why he had one. he was a bit odd :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my god i can genuinely read most of that, and I have only been learning esperanto for half an hour

It's very easy to pick apart: En=In, La=The (always), Komenco must be a noun because it ends in an o. All nouns/objects have on o in their final 1,2 or 3 letters. Hence why Dio = God. God is a noun, "Di" being the root. If you wanted to say Gods, you just do "Dioj" because you put "j" at the end of stuff to pluralise it. Kreis is a verb because it ends in -is. All verbs end in "is" "as" or "os". "is" = past tense, "as" = present, and "os" = future, All WITH NO EXCEPTIONS. So Kreis = Created. Kreos = Will create.
    Cielon = Heaven. The "on" at the end means it is a noun and is the object of the sentance. You put "n" at the end of nouns to make it the object. So Cielojn = Heavens (as an object, note the j makes it plural), but if I wanted to say "The heavens creates god" I would say "La Cieloj Kreas Dion"

Kaj = and

Anything ending in "-a" is an adjective, thats why "dezerta" means deserted (i think). You just need to make sure the adjective matches the the noun. If you were applying the adjective to a plural you just add "j" to the end of the adjective. If you are applying to a sentance object you add the extra "n".

I'm still trying to work out what the "u" at the end of "Estu" is there for. Est means "to be", so Estu i assume means "Let there be" - I havent met the u ending yet. But i hope i've given you a flavour of the language simplicity. And so many of the words are almost identical to english!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Read most of the morning, before work & without glasses! :eek:
    Don't you get a headache? :eek:

its from my grandad's Esperanto Bible. don't ask me why he had one. he was a bit odd :rolleyes:
    He has a Bible...that makes him odd enough, whatever language it's in.

(Original post by Willla2)
    my god i can genuinely read most of that, and I have only been learning esperanto for half an hour

I'm still trying to work out what the "u" at the end of "Estu" is there for. Est means "to be", so Estu i assume means "Let there be" - I havent met the u ending yet. But i hope i've given you a flavour of the language simplicity. And so many of the words are almost identical to english!
    Esperanto was designed to be easy to master...Zamenhof wanted it to be an international language. I think one comparison said it was five times easier than French, twenty times easier than spoken Chinese or Arabic, and infinitely easier than Japanese. I did the free ten-lesson pacujo course a long time ago, and I have to agree...it's a really logical language (although still much easier for Europeans to master than Asians).

The is/as/os ending of verbs gives you past, present and future. "estus" is a conditional (would be). I think "estu" is the imperative "should be", but don't quote me on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    Given context I would guess that the 'u' indicates the subjunctive mood.

ReputationRep:
    awww
    don't worry katie . you don't have to post a pic of your desk. it can be anything! your room your house, you gerbil...
    anything to allay boredom!
    WOO gerbils!!!

gerbils rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Given context I would guess that the 'u' indicates the subjunctive mood.
    Nope, just checked with pacujo, it's definitely the imperative.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. In many Indo-European languages the subjunctive and imperative are related (or identical) forms anyways, so it is impossible to say whether or not something is jussive subjunctive or imperative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Fair enough. In many Indo-European languages the subjunctive and imperative are related (or identical) forms anyways, so it is impossible to say whether or not something is jussive subjunctive or imperative.
    Do you mind explaining? I only vaguely remember the subjunctive from the three years I was forced to study Latin (most annoying language ever in my opinion, if only because I know a lot of people who insist on quoting pretentious phrases in it to me). I know the two can be confused, but I thought the subjunctive didn't always have to be a command.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind explaining? I only vaguely remember the subjunctive from the three years I was forced to study Latin (most annoying language ever in my opinion, if only because I know a lot of people who insist on quoting pretentious phrases in it to me). I know the two can be confused, but I thought the subjunctive didn't always have to be a command.
    The subjuctive can mean several things. One common usage is the jussive subjunctive, which implies a command. Imagine the phrase 'let there be light' - is it a command for there to be light (like the imperative), or a desire for there to be light (subjunctive)? Ultimately it is neither fish nor foul, but is generally referred to as the jussive subjunctive. In some languages this is the same as the imperative.

In Latin you could not use the imperative in this case, because the imperative must have an object - i.e. you must order someone. More general commands which are suggestive of desire, such as 'let there be light' take the jussive subjunctive (in other cases often either subjunctive or imperative may be used, the imperative carrying a stronger sense of obligation). As my old GCSE Latin text books states 'the jussive or hortatory subjunctive is used in exhortations and 3rd person commands'.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.