Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    heres my first attempt at oxford bashing:

cambridge estas bona, gxi estas super oxford, oxford estis, estas kaj estos malbona.
    My guess is....Cambridge is the best and is better than oxford....oxford was, is and will be the worst?

Or something like that...i need to read up on my esperanto

G

ReputationRep:
    yes it's smething like that - replacing best and worse by good and bad. I dont know the words for best and worst.

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

I'm hoping to come to Cambridge this year; jus waitin for my results... I had a coupla questions tho... if anyone can answer them, thanks a lot...

a) I was jus wonderin about the level of Cricket at Cambridge; I've heard its really really good, but I'm not a really really good player. Does this mean that I'll get any decent amount/level of cricket at the uni, or is there only opportunity only at a small, exceptional level?

b) Also, I love music... orchestral music in particular, but I've not had a single music lesson in my life - althought I've began on the piano myself. Are there any facilities/help that I can get at Cambridge to improve my understanding of music? (I love film music, and always try and decode what's happenin in the pieces, similarly with some classical pieces... but m'fraid without the theory, or any classes... I'm only making guesses)

Any help would be great thanks...

Aleem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Counterpoint)
    Hey...

I'm hoping to come to Cambridge this year; jus waitin for my results... I had a coupla questions tho... if anyone can answer them, thanks a lot...

a) I was jus wonderin about the level of Cricket at Cambridge; I've heard its really really good, but I'm not a really really good player. Does this mean that I'll get any decent amount/level of cricket at the uni, or is there only opportunity only at a small, exceptional level?

b) Also, I love music... orchestral music in particular, but I've not had a single music lesson in my life - althought I've began on the piano myself. Are there any facilities/help that I can get at Cambridge to improve my understanding of music? (I love film music, and always try and decode what's happenin in the pieces, similarly with some classical pieces... but m'fraid without the theory, or any classes... I'm only making guesses)

Any help would be great thanks...

Aleem
    hi
    welcome! well done on your offer and good luck! what subject btw?i hope we haven't scared you with our random talk of esperanto!

a) i'm sure you get loads of chances to play cricket, or any sport for that matter. you dont have to be amazing! of course there are exceptional players but each college will have its own teams, of different ability levels!

b) not so sure about this one, but i'm sure there will be societies you can join where you can discuss that kind of thing! i dont think the uni provides music lessons as such but they can probably help you find a teacher in the area, if you want one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks scarlet ibis...

yeah you're rite... i'm sure if i keep lookin around someone mite be informally willing to help... perhaps some musical friends would be a nice situation hehe...

erm i've been offered by Fitzwilliam to do History...

I originally applied to Caius... dammmn hard interviewers... they pooled me;

Then Selwyn interviewed me...

Then Fitz did...

so 6 interviews... I hate interviews, proper hate em... but I'm glad i got so many chances...

ReputationRep:
    i expect some people who are actually at cambridge (eg helenia, madnatsci) will be able to be of more help!

aaargh :eek: 6 interviews! poor you! *hugs* still, like you said, at least you had lots of chances! were you interviewed by Dr Mike Sewell at Selwyn? i know he's a history guy, and he gave me my general interview at selwyn!
    i don't know if there are any other people on here who were pooled...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i expect some people who are actually at cambridge (eg helenia, madnatsci) will be able to be of more help!

aaargh :eek: 6 interviews! poor you! *hugs* still, like you said, at least you had lots of chances! were you interviewed by Dr Mike Sewell at Selwyn? i know he's a history guy, and he gave me my general interview at selwyn!
    i don't know if there are any other people on here who were pooled...

back comes the mike sewell fan club. haven't we already agreed that he's a good guy?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    back comes the mike sewell fan club. haven't we already agreed that he's a good guy?

MB
    woah! i was just trying to be interested and friendly! forget i said it... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... in fact, I've spoken to him more than any of the others... because three days before my January exams he rang my head of year and told him that I had to come down on my exam dates for the interview... so I had to ring him up about 5 times and sort, re-sort, re-re-sort timings out for my interview...

In fact... the very next morning I was on a train to get interviewed by him... he walked in wit some other bloke and I was bummin about the court confused as where to go, and he shouted me over, somethin like "Aleem... this way" lol... we were well on first name terms over the phone haha...

The only dodgy thing was... hardly anyone was in cambridge then... and I had the Selwyn common room all to myself lol.

And jus for a lil bitta sympathy... i got back on the train and got home at nite, got some sleep, and did two exams the next morning hahah. dayym.

ReputationRep:
    woah! i was just trying to be interested and friendly! forget i said it... :rolleyes:

sorry, I was being an arse. He was very cool but he called me outdated for being a marxist.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... in fact, I've spoken to him more than any of the others... because three days before my January exams he rang my head of year and told him that I had to come down on my exam dates for the interview... so I had to ring him up about 5 times and sort, re-sort, re-re-sort timings out for my interview...

In fact... the very next morning I was on a train to get interviewed by him... he walked in wit some other bloke and I was bummin about the court confused as where to go, and he shouted me over, somethin like "Aleem... this way" lol... we were well on first name terms over the phone haha...

The only dodgy thing was... hardly anyone was in cambridge then... and I had the Selwyn common room all to myself lol.
    I didn't like the feeling of selwyn but that might just be a reflection on my subject interview there which was with a complete *******. Lucky I got pooled.

MB

ReputationRep:

lol
    it must have been weird to be there all by yourself. when i went up for interview, all the students were still there cos it was just before the end of term, and even people who went up after the end of term will have had the other candidates to talk to. awww i hope you didn't get too lonely!
    when did you find out about your offer?

ReputationRep:
    sorry, I was being an arse. He was very cool but he called me outdated for being a marxist.

MB
    lol
    forget it

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like the feeling of selwyn but that might just be a reflection on my subject interview there which was with a complete *******. Lucky I got pooled.

MB
    i didn't realise you were pooled.

btw, what's that in ur sig about there being 1154 days to go? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Erm it was within two weeks as Dr Rosemary Horrox had promised...

I was in college and my mum rang me on my mobile... she can't read english (We're pakistani - and she came to england quite late in her days) so my friends were just gathered around me, as she read it out letter by letter... it was too intense; apparently she'd opened the envelope in the morning, and asked someone in the street to read her the letter... n then cried wit joy hehe...

altho sewell had said in the feedback letter that i wasn't "a front runner" but a "safe prospect." lol... i found it quite a funny sentence, dunno why lol... maybe cus i aint that safe a prospect

Oh and some of my ideas are marxist... or my gut instinct rather (i'm not well-read and often try to vaguely wing my debates lol) but god damn i hate postmodernism and when people are being postmodernists... altho i conclude postmodern in my sociology essays, jus to be safe lol. my teachers find it hard to reconcile wit any marxist elements in my arguments...

ReputationRep:
    i didn't realise you were pooled.

btw, what's that in ur sig about there being 1154 days to go? :confused:

Yeah, applied to selwyn and there were 32 applicants for 2 or 3 places. Got pooled to Robinson and Girton although they forgot to tell me about this and phoned me up the night before and said "are you on your way to cambridge?". I explained I had a maths exam the next day (this whole process didn't do much for my confidence) soI had to go up the next week. Then I had a day with three interviews and a one hour practical test and the next week they told me I had an offer. The 1154 thing is just to take the piss out of people who have countdowns in their sigs.

MB

ReputationRep:
    The 1154 thing is just to take the piss out of people who have countdowns in their sigs.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)

I'm sorry but there is a countdown thread which I choose not to look at. I don't want to be reminded wherever I post.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    Don't worry Kathy..i think everyone's agreed that your countdown is both essential and useful!! No pisstaking here

Counterpoint...welcome to the thread! ...btw- at Caius..did you by any chance have an interview with Dr Ford??

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Don't worry Kathy..i think everyone's agreed that your countdown is both essential and useful!! No pisstaking here

Counterpoint...welcome to the thread! ...btw- at Caius..did you by any chance have an interview with Dr Ford??

G
    thanks morale officer!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.