Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Does this mean when (and you will get the grades!!!!!!!!) you go to cambridge...you change accent yet again to a rah's accent??

G
    i really hope not!!! all my friends keep teasing me that i wil...they know how quickly my accent changes...but i don't wanna come back talking all rah! i wanna stay nice n northern!! i'll have to take lots of old Brookside videos and watch them repeatedly to keep my accent i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    from the list on the first post in this thread you seem to be the only one around here whos got an offer from queens. I'm sure geoff will add you to the list.
    I think he said that he was applying this year though....:confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i really hope not!!! all my friends keep teasing me that i wil...they know how quickly my accent changes...but i don't wanna come back talking all rah! i wanna stay nice n northern!! i'll have to take lots of old Brookside videos and watch them repeatedly to keep my accent i think
    Lol...brookside.....poor excuse for a television program

*waits for barrage of abuse*

G

ReputationRep:
    I think he said that he was applying this year though....:confused:

G
    oops, yes i stand corrected.

ReputationRep:
    Lol...brookside.....poor excuse for a television program

*waits for barrage of abuse*

G
    i dont think you'll get one. its pretty crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i dont think you'll get one. its pretty crap!
    Hehe...agreed!

G

ReputationRep:
    Haha;

The only programme I'd like to influence my accent would be "The Sopranos" ... I don't suppose you get many Italian-Americans at Cambridge? And yeah, the one thing I'm definately keeping down at uni, is my northern accent... I don't wanna come back and get laughed at lol, and I wanna be representin' the whole of the Boro down there...

You know what... I always have this stupid compulsion to talk as if I've already got in... "when I come down there" as opposed to "If I come down there"... and the close the results get, the smaller my chances seem. Daayym did I do badly in these exams, or did I do badly :eek: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Counterpoint)
    Haha;

The only programme I'd like to influence my accent would be "The Sopranos" ... I don't suppose you get many Italian-Americans at Cambridge? And yeah, the one thing I'm definately keeping down at uni, is my northern accent... I don't wanna come back and get laughed at lol, and I wanna be representin' the whole of the Boro down there...

You know what... I always have this stupid compulsion to talk as if I've already got in... "when I come down there" as opposed to "If I come down there"... and the close the results get, the smaller my chances seem. Daayym did I do badly in these exams, or did I do badly :eek: .
    Ah..don't worry about it too much....it'll only drive you insane!! Hopefully we'll all get the grades we need to get in....and then bring on the PASSOA PARTY!!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Hehe true...

Yo geoff, what were your interview dates for Gonville? Cus I know I was down there for two nights... I mmmight have been the night of the 8th, 9th and the morning of the 10th... in the common room thingy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Counterpoint)
    Hanging around this place I sometimes feel like doing that as well

ReputationRep:
    I know... s'why none of my other friends are comin onto UKL message boards... incase they hear so much that they really really really really wanna get the offer, and actually start believin that they're into their first choice uni... and if ya get too attached to this place, and DON'T make ya offer... well then thats jus gonna be devastation x 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Hanging around this place I sometimes feel like doing that as well
    ACAILA! No excuse for sad faces when you just got your Higher grades!

ReputationRep:
    hey geoff and counterpoint (sorry, don't know your name), did you meet any students who were already there when you were hanging out in the Caius JCR? in particular, did you meet any medics?

ReputationRep:
    Aye... I think I met one or two medics... I can't remember who they were, but they were very very helpful... one girl in particular helped me on a few occassions... in fact she saved me from being late for an interview with a very daunting interviewer... Thankyou if you're out there and you're reading this ! lol

In fact, she walked me about 20 meters in the direction of Dr. Abulaffiah's (sp?) room; I wouldn't have got there otherwise lol... but she went no closer to his office, and when I spoke to him, I could see why :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hello there - late entry:

Name: Lucerna / Michelle
    (if I get the grades) Bio NatSci at Emmanuel

And here for the hell of it is a very goofy pic just cause other people seem to have added photos...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ommonroom2.jpg

People seem to be discussing accents. I, alas, am a bit posh. I tend to lose my "t"'s when home though. And some people say I sound South African/American - god knows why. Too much TV probably.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, welcome here, the picture's all good hehe, as for the posh accent... we gruff northeners will soon fix That problem like !

ANOTHER one NOT goin to Fitz... is that college a ghost town or somethin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    Hello there - late entry:

Name: Lucerna / Michelle
    (if I get the grades) Bio NatSci at Emmanuel

And here for the hell of it is a very goofy pic just cause other people seem to have added photos...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ommonroom2.jpg

People seem to be discussing accents. I, alas, am a bit posh. I tend to lose my "t"'s when home though. And some people say I sound South African/American - god knows why. Too much TV probably.
    Yayayayaya another person who has an offer at emmanuel....I really really really wanna get the grades, aRGHGHGHGHGHS. And don't worry, even though I dont hear it in my head, I accept that I sound posh (I hate my voice when I watch videos of myself).

ReputationRep:
    welcome! whats your offer?

nice pic i suppose i've got a 'posh' accent too. well tbh its not an accent at all, just boring really. i thinks its what's known as 'received pronounciation'

good lck btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    Yayayayaya another person who has an offer at emmanuel....I really really really wanna get the grades, aRGHGHGHGHGHS. And don't worry, even though I dont hear it in my head, I accept that I sound posh (I hate my voice when I watch videos of myself).
    Hey! That makes about four of us I can remember...what you gonna study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    welcome! whats your offer?

nice pic i suppose i've got a 'posh' accent too. well tbh its not an accent at all, just boring really. i thinks its what's known as 'received pronounciation'

good lck btw!
    Thanks! You too My offer's AAA in bio,chem, maths. My Spanish isn't included (dammit)

Received pronounciation sounds good too me - enough to gain respect, not too much to get teased

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.