Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i was sooo annoyed- me and a friend were going to see them at the corn exchange before term started (provided thurs goes well) but when we checked, all the tickets had gone!! grr!!
    Same here; gutted! A friend bought NME the other day so we all went straight to the gig pages, got all excited that they were even doing a tour before looking at venues then noticed every single place was sold out! Added disappointment that they're playing in most uni cities where I have friends going or hoping to go myself!

I have to admit to being quite surprised that Cambridge hosts big groups, I always assumed it was too small and too near to London for anyone to bother. When I applied I did so sort of half-heartedly, I didn't really think I could do it but was a bit pushed by school and I just wanted to see if I could. I always loved the course but was never sure on the place itself, as more time passes I'm far less worried about it and actually beginning to like the idea of it! It's not so much that I didn't like it at first, more that I was bothered by it being a small place and not really knowing anyone that's been to Cambridge I had the stereotypical misconception about what it would be like! I've lived my whole life in a small valley community and always had great plans of going to a huge city for uni just for the experience of it! I've been pleasantly surprised throughout the past year and odd as it may be, I think this place has helped with that! I have a horrible feeling I'm setting myself up for a fall now on Thursday...

ReputationRep:
    well as long as melon passoa doesnt take like this bright green melon liquer i had a month ago.....we bought it cos it was an amazingly green colour. After tasting it, it was insanely sweet followed by the bitter alcohol kick - tasted just like cough medecine....urgh!!!

24 hours to go...eeek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    well as long as melon passoa doesnt take like this bright green melon liquer i had a month ago.....we bought it cos it was an amazingly green colour. After tasting it, it was insanely sweet followed by the bitter alcohol kick - tasted just like cough medecine....urgh!!!

24 hours to go...eeek!

maybe you're talking about pisang ambon which is the stuff that tastes like calpol/bubbegum.

MB

ReputationRep:
    24 hours to go...eeek!
    Buggrit, I'm getting nervous for you all... Best of luck! And advice for happier results day: stay away from the news until after you get your results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Buggrit, I'm getting nervous for you all... Best of luck! And advice for happier results day: stay away from the news until after you get your results!
    urgh i dunno why, but i love torturing myself with it!! especially those lovely glowing orange and white smiles of the GMTV crew! they're the worst as well!! arg! i'm just nosy, i like to see how random people have done!

ReputationRep:

24 hours to go...eeek!
    Melon?? If it was apple i'd have suggested apple sourz shots....i dunno if they have melon ones?? Tastes like hubba bubba atomic apple bubblegum

G

ReputationRep:
    i'm liking the sound of bubblegum flavour passoa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    urgh i dunno why, but i love torturing myself with it!! especially those lovely glowing orange and white smiles of the GMTV crew! they're the worst as well!! arg! i'm just nosy, i like to see how random people have done!
    Curiosity killed the cat....it's a good thing you're not the cat then isn't it!!

Imagine....we'll know..or be close to knowing this time tomorrow :eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    Hmm, I didn't mean so much individual stories... just the more negative news stories you always get at this time of year and which are pointless to repeat

our local paper always entertains me on results days because they have huge features about people who amazingly achieved 2 Es or whatever and their ambitions and stuff..

it also allows you to play a variation on "match the quote/baby to wherethe person is from" - "match the gradesto the photo"...

suprising how accurately most people can match them up when giving free reign to their prejudices..

oh and usually they have a picture of people jumping around outside our school or whatecver as people getting 5As, going to oxbridge, etc.. i dohnt really know why they bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    oh and usually they have a picture of people jumping around outside our school or whatecver as people getting 5As, going to oxbridge, etc.. i dohnt really know why they bother
    I suppose it's the equivalent of american kids graduating and throwing their hats into the air isn't it

G

(Original post by gzftan)
    I suppose it's the equivalent of american kids graduating and throwing their hats into the air isn't it

G
    i lie, they normally dont jump, they just stand around. on reflection.

plus there is always some tale of an annoying newborn child getting an a level. but they always get like a D or something. why dont they just wait until they are slightly older and get an A.....? ah well *am just jealous at being upstaged by 5-year-olds*

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

plus there is always some tale of an annoying newborn child getting an a level. but they always get like a D or something. why dont they just wait until they are slightly older and get an A.....? ah well *am just jealous at being upstaged by 5-year-olds*

rosie
    I know what you mean....and it's not jealousy imo....let the kid be a kid!!! Why on earth would you want to do an A-level when you're 7 years old.....you're supposed to be enjoying life and having fun and mucking about and playing football an loads of other stuff.

For the most part....i think its parental pressure for the kid to do a levels so early. And i've heard stories of these wonderkids going to uni at the age of 12...and then suddenly cracking and dropping out and running away. I think there was an article in the paper recently about it

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

rosie
    qualifier: 5 year olds who will never have a life...

(Original post by MadNatSci)
    qualifier: 5 year olds who will never have a life...
    i think people should be allowed to do a levels etc early if they are especially talented and what-have-you, but I dont see much point ni taking it early and getting a not especially good grade. if you take them early you should be capable of getting As and A*s when you take them early, imho.

anyway.. if they manage to get all their a levels out of the way before primary school - they can have an extended gap-decade or nearly before they go to uni plenty of time to acquir social skills. hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    anyway.. if they manage to get all their a levels out of the way before primary school - they can have an extended gap-decade or nearly before they go to uni plenty of time to acquir social skills. hehehe.
    Lol...a gap decade....woah!!!!!

The problem with that is..a lot of social skills are developed through school!!! Yes...i know it sounds stupid..but its true

G

by the way ill ask you on here because youre not on MSN

ive been reading this book abouit forensic science and the author keeps poo-pooing crime writers and their substandard knowledge of forensics and flagging up hilarious mistakes in books etc..

then she says DNA is composed of the proteins A, T C and G, etc....... :rolleyes:

anyway i know shes wrong on the DNA bit but i am not entirely sure about this but oso can someone tell me if im right or if she is (i think she messed up in the bit about PCR as well. but i dont know enough to know if she did or not)

anyway

she is talking about gel electrophoresis of DNA and once they have been separated ito the bands, she says

"these bands become visible when they're tagged and X-rayed. It's usually these films that are seen in court" (she goes on about this later as well i think abut them actually being xrayed)

well to my thinking.. if you xrayed a gel with DNA in it.. you wouldn't really get much of a picture...

what i thoght they generally did she might have mixed it up with is tagging the bands with a radioactively-labelled substance and then when you put it over some film, the radiation emitted from the tagged bands darkens the film in the same way x-rays darken film..

but is she / could she be right and they do actually X-ray gels sometimes? do they tag the bands with something containing metal or something...?

anyone?

rosie

ReputationRep:

The problem with that is..a lot of social skills are developed through school!!! Yes...i know it sounds stupid..but its true

G
    i'm sure this discussion of prodigies has already been had on uk-learning, about 2 months ago?

G
    well, yes its true, but it doesnt mean that peple who are homeschooled or whatever dont develop social skills... you *can* develop them in other ways than through school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathsheba)
    i'm sure this discussion of prodigies has already been had on uk-learning, about 2 months ago?
    Probably......must've missed it then

G

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.