Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    dont they want more people to do AEA's rather than splitting an A into A1-A4?

I think universities should put more pressure on people to do AEA's rather than A levels...if the top universities start really making it clear that applicants studying for AEA's have a higher chance of getting in, then I'm sure that will change things.

(Original post by Willla2)
    dont they want more people to do AEA's rather than splitting an A into A1-A4?

I think universities should put more pressure on people to do AEA's rather than A levels...if the top universities start really making it clear that applicants studying for AEA's have a higher chance of getting in, then I'm sure that will change things.
    only fair if more schools start offering it though.

it's a bit of a catch -22 at the moment: very few schools do them so unis can't place much value on them without discriminating unfairly against candidates whose schools didn't offer them ; very few schools offer them because they know unis don't place that much weight on them.

Rather than saying applicants studying for AEAs have a better chance of gettnig in (really don't think that's fair - for one thing *studying* for an exam proves absolutely nothing) I thinkit would be good to encourage alternate offers and the idea that if you miss a grade, AEAs can provide you with "back up" sometimes... and encourage more schools to do them.

I also think there should be splitting of the A-grade, though. That and AEAs measure different things (imho) and it would be valuable for universities to have both sets of information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    *pedantic spelling geek* Yay!
    You were quite cute until you said that!

*crappy speller*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    You were quite cute until you said that!

*crappy speller*
    You, a crappy speller? You seem pretty good to me! And my pedantry is endearing, honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You, a crappy speller? You seem pretty good to me! And my pedantry is endearing, honest
    I am a pedant as well, just not about spelling as that would be hypocritical! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I also think there should be splitting of the A-grade, though. That and AEAs measure different things (imho) and it would be valuable for universities to have both sets of information.
    But Cambridge already ask for module results. In a way they can split A grades anyway. I would have got a high A in everything but I used to know a guy called Muhammad who went to London to do Electronics years ago. Back then A level maths papers were all taken at once and marked out of 12. He did the 4 needed to get double maths and got 48/48.

Obviously people like that are better than some morons I met at college who got all A's by resitting modules, refusing grades, etc. I just took modules once. I still believe A levels should be once off though (I have quite a good memory and want an unfair advantage )

ReputationRep:
    But Cambridge already ask for module results. In a way they can split A grades anyway. I would have got a high A in everything but I used to know a guy called Muhammad who went to London to do Electronics years ago. Back then A level maths papers were all taken at once and marked out of 12. He did the 4 needed to get double maths and got 48/48.

not anymore. They got in deep s**t with UCAS last year for asking for UMS and when they get our results they only get grades rather than UMS marks.

MB

ReputationRep:
    *urgh*

ReputationRep:
    *meow*

ReputationRep:
    *pop*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    AEA's are designed for those students likely to get an A and it thus discriminates between those (aka Milliband's ideas) so that you can get Distinctions (70%) and Merits (60% I think) or nothing. They are similar to the old S levels. Last year my 2 Cambridge geographers got a Distinction and a Merit respectively in their AEA.
    I thought it was more like about 45% = merit and about 57% = distinction but they probably change in some quotaed way or other between the years and the subjects...

ReputationRep:
    Well it's that time again. Just want to wish everyone the best of luck for tomorrow, we're all rooting for ya!!

Quite a few of us are on the chat room if you're around this evening! http://217.44.104.125/chat/ or IRC: uk.quakenet.org #uk-learning

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys - wanted to wish you all good luck!!!

Sorry wasn't on yesterday - was having pizza and beer/baileys and video fest to calm pre-exam nerves with all me mates.

Also I bet the server was busy!

You'll all do great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    Heya guys - wanted to wish you all good luck!!!

Sorry wasn't on yesterday - was having pizza and beer/baileys and video fest to calm pre-exam nerves with all me mates.

Also I bet the server was busy!

You'll all do great
    Hey everyone!! Me too..i was out having dinner last night....didn't get back till late..thought i'd try and get some sleep...but didn't get to sleep till 4am anyway....3 hours of sleep..lovely

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

G

ReputationRep:
    Hooray. I'm in. Passoa party here I come.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Hooray. I'm in. Passoa party here I come.

MB
    Yay! I'm in too!

ReputationRep:
    *dances*

never before have I been so happy to see the word "accepted"

ReputationRep:
    Well done everyone who's got in! I have too! AAA!!! See you at the Passoa party, everyone!

ReputationRep:
    We had better get Geoff to change the title of this thread! :rolleyes:

Obviously people like that are better than some morons I met at college who got all A's by resitting modules, refusing grades, etc. I just took modules once. I still believe A levels should be once off though (I have quite a good memory and want an unfair advantage )
    cambridge only ask for AS module results. they aren't part of offers.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.