Turn on thread page Beta

mine doesn't like my name.

for some reason i am more ilkely, ikt thinks, to want to type "poshf" than "rosie". .........?!

ps. notice what you get when you start typing in "school"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    i have no quarrels with robinson, it's neutral with me.
    Yerse...we're not trying to make enemies out of too many colleges here. Good thing about UKL is it's encouraging us to interbreed and the like.

(Original post by boomerangman)
    And completely off the topic, can someone tell me why we call Mathematics Maths and the Americans call it math??? Which one is correct?
    Well, it depends if you're in the USA or Canada (where it's math), or elsewhere in the English-speaking world, where it's maths. When there are two spellings of an English word though, the rule of thumb is that the Americans have the shorter one. Hence they have color, while we have colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Well, it depends if you're in the USA or Canada (where it's math), or elsewhere in the English-speaking world, where it's maths. When there are two spellings of an English word though, the rule of thumb is that the Americans have the shorter one. Hence they have color, while we have colour.
    What Squishy means is that the americans have the one that is closest to a phonetic spelling cos they are too thick to deal with things not sounding how they look.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    "Swear you won't tell!! Take oaths! all of you!! I did NOT dance naked on the bar! I did not!!"

...purely an illustrative example. I would never.
    Nice. I could actually imagine that being used as well. I may have to write it down somewhere in case a situation arises where it can be used in the future!

(Original post by musicboy)
    What Squishy means is that the americans have the one that is closest to a phonetic spelling cos they are too thick to deal with things not sounding how they look.

MB
    Yeah. Also what's with pronouncing Iraq, Eye-Rack!?!?! That really is starting to get on my nerves!

Rob

ReputationRep:

MB
    Now now... surely we can look to a gentleman at the pinnacle of civilisation and a bastion of world power for a little anecdotal evidence on American intellectual merit:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people - and neither do we." - Dubya.

Nuff said. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesvb)
    Now now... surely we can look to a gentleman at the pinnacle of civilisation and a bastion of world power for a little anecdotal evidence on American intellectual merit:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people - and neither do we." - Dubya.

Is that a Bushism?

Rob

ReputationRep:
    Is that a Bushism?

Rob
    yup. how did u guess?? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    yup. how did u guess?? :eek:
    Was that sarcasm?

Sorry I'm still recovering from effects of celebrations. I am reading the posts but the info doesn't seem to be going in.

Perhaps I shouldn't have gone out again tonight.

Rob

ReputationRep:
    Was that sarcasm?

Sorry I'm still recovering from effects of celebrations. I am reading the posts but the info doesn't seem to be going in.

Perhaps I shouldn't have gone out again tonight.

Rob
    LOL! I found the problem wasnt so much going out again tonight, it was the stopping drinking between last night and tonight

ReputationRep:

MB
    But Canadians have to think harder than either Americanas or Brits as our spelling is half way between the two and hence does not correlate with any major dictionary. For example a Canadian would spell centre with an 're' (as before), but archaeology as 'archeology' (likewise esophagus rather than oesophagus) and 'ise' as 'ize' (though this last spelling is now accepted British usage).

ReputationRep:

And who ever said that Yale could be reasonably compared with Cambridge? At least Charles never said anything that stupid.

(Original post by ASNaC)
    But Canadians have to think harder than either Americanas or Brits as our spelling is half way between the two and hence does not correlate with any major dictionary. For example a Canadian would spell centre with an 're' (as before), but archaeology as 'archeology' (likewise esophagus rather than oesophagus) and 'ise' as 'ize' (though this last spelling is now accepted British usage).
    in britain the american spellings are accepted for virtually everything and you can just spell words as you choose. im very inconsistent in whether I choose grey/gray etc... but I do prefer endeing nouns like "defence" with a ce not an se and ise not ize.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    And who ever said that Yale could be reasonably compared with Cambridge? At least Charles never said anything that stupid.
    Yeah, but he is stupid.

Canadian spelling just isn't popular enough to be widely-known. I have a Canadian penpal, and I've tried to watch her spelling for differences...for the most part it is quite similar to British spelling, but I have noticed the "ize"s and "math". She also didn't know what abseiling was until she found out it was rappelling in North American English.

Ahh, the Bush-bashing never gets old.

ReputationRep:

MB
    Rosie is going to kill you you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Rosie is going to kill you you know?
    Nah, she just won't let him come to the Passoa party.

You're not going to edit if Jacob does, are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Nah, she just won't let him come to the Passoa party.

You're not going to edit if Jacob does, are you?
    That's not what she told me .

I might edit it, but I have been instructed by Rosie to let her know regardless .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    South Wales eh??? I went on a biology field trip to Orielton near Dale Fort in Pembrokeshire.....anywhere near you??? I went in the middle of the heatwave..spent a few days on the beach..lovely!!

G
    Nope, sadly not! I'm from Gwent (Torfaen) so South East Wales, we have more hills and less wonderful coastlines! I do know Pembrokeshire quite well though through family holidays and my digging adventures! I love field-trips, I can't wait for uni ones!

This business about getting results the wrong way round to how you would have expected...I had that too! My final chemistry paper was the first paper in two years of four A levels that I was actually quite happy with...it turned out to also be the first and only paper that I had a B for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Nope, sadly not! I'm from Gwent (Torfaen) so South East Wales, we have more hills and less wonderful coastlines! I do know Pembrokeshire quite well though through family holidays and my digging adventures! I love field-trips, I can't wait for uni ones!
    Ah..you lucky people with your field trips....alas....i don't think they have field trips in law...

Maybe i can sneak along to yours though if i have no lectures (or if i skive them)

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    That's not what she told me .
    Shhh...we must soothe Rosie's violent tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Ah..you lucky people with your field trips....alas....i don't think they have field trips in law...

Maybe i can sneak along to yours though if i have no lectures (or if i skive them)

G

Oh yeah!!! Come digging!!!
    Honestly, it'd be great! I'm always recruiting new people to love archaeology!!
    I bet they have some sort of society...join that!!
    (there's no escaping now you've suggested that!)

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.