Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    cae dy geg, twpsin. mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i fi!!!!!!! cer i grafu. lle mae'n brifo. sori i pawb sy'n gallu siarad cymraeg, dydw i dim, mae'n amlwg, ond- y syniad sy'n cyfru.
    I'm impressed with myself...i understood everything you said..right up to 'cae'

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Sorry Si..but i'm a rebel with hairgel remember!!! I would only be a bad influence on you!

G
    We all need bad influences.

cae dy geg, twpsin. mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i fi!!!!!!! cer i grafu. lle mae'n brifo. sori i pawb sy'n gallu siarad cymraeg, dydw i dim, mae'n amlwg, ond- y syniad sy'n cyfru.

sorry. could not let you lot get away with such prejudice against your beautiful celtic cousins. peace and love
    Shut up, something? I recognise a few words...one of the Welsh boys at school taught me some swearing.

No offence meant of course...I always got on really well with the Welsh people at school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm impressed with myself...i understood everything you said..right up to 'cae'

G
    yes, i do generally have this effect on people.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i do generally have this effect on people.
    Oh wow...i understood you this time

G

ReputationRep:
    Shut up, something? I recognise a few words...one of the Welsh boys at school taught me some swearing.

No offence meant of course...I always got on really well with the Welsh people at school.[/QUOTE]

da iawn, bach. cae dy geg = shut up. i haven't really spoken welsh since primary school- all i have used since and can now remember are random insults.

and no offence taken. wales is great. never rains and all the people are dead happy, as is common knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow...i understood you this time

G
    Heh, Geoff, you must speak some Chinese to me one day. It'll be great...I won't be able to understand you.

UndiscoverdSelf, have you ever read the Xenophobe's guide to the Welsh? Good book.

ReputationRep:
    Lol....speak chinese to you...it'd be easy for you to guess what i was saying...it'd either be i'm hungry, or, i need to go to the toilet.

2 phrases no traveller should ever not know!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Lol....speak chinese to you...it'd be easy for you to guess what i was saying...it'd either be i'm hungry, or, i need to go to the toilet.

2 phrases no traveller should ever not know!!

G
    What's McDonald's in Chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    What's McDonald's in Chinese?
    Erm....??? I dunno..was trying to think of something clever..but it escaped me

G

ReputationRep:
    I think Pol was actually expelled once?
    Expelled once, compulsory transferred once (i.e. basically expelled twice )

ReputationRep:
    say this out loud phoentically and tell me if it means anything to you... (sorry, i only know how to say it, not right it)

Dil Lay Lo Mo Gor Chow Hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    say this out loud phoentically and tell me if it means anything to you... (sorry, i only know how to say it, not right it)

Dil Lay Lo Mo Gor Chow Hi
    Lol....sounds cantonese to me....it's probably a swear phrase though..lol

G

ReputationRep:
    UndiscoverdSelf, have you ever read the Xenophobe's guide to the Welsh? Good book.[/QUOTE]

i don't suppose that's available in welsh, but it may be on my english reading list

LOL, wild! I've only ever used hairgel once though, so you have me beat.

Hmm, it was so long ago I barely remember it, but I know I got it from a convenience store kind of place near my boarding school. They basically had three sections: one for food, one for mail (it doubled as a local post office), and one for everything else. I remember finding the tampons among everything else, but I don't really remember what other stuff was stored with it.

When I found out later what tampons were actually used for and where they were put, I figured out why they expanded in liquid.
    fair enough

howwever as we all know from countless ads etc

it;s expanding SIDEWAYS that is important and we must shun inferior brands that merely lengthen

rosie

ReputationRep:

sorry. could not let you lot get away with such prejudice against your beautiful celtic cousins. peace and love
    Cuireann sé mi-áthas orm é seo a rá, ach ní rabhas in ann tusa a thuiscint ar chor ar bith Cad a dúirt tu as Béarla/Gaeilge?

Ní féidir liom ach “bore da” agus cupla focal eile a rá as do theanga!

Léigheas arís é agus thuigeas “siarad cymraeg” – sin “ag labhairt Briotanais/speaking Welsh”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    fair enough

it;s expanding SIDEWAYS that is important and we must shun inferior brands that merely lengthen

rosie
    We know that? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Erm....??? I dunno..was trying to think of something clever..but it escaped me

G
    I think these are urban legends, but they're funny:

In Taiwan, the translation of the Pepsi slogan "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation" came out as "Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead."

Also in Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan "finger-lickin' good" came out as "eat your fingers off."

The perils of English-Chinese.

(Original post by polthegael)
    Expelled once, compulsory transferred once (i.e. basically expelled twice )
    Well, it's a good conversation starter anyway.

Lol....sounds cantonese to me....it's probably a swear phrase though..lol

G
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say too. The "Chow" certainly sounds like it's Cantonese.

(Original post by crana)
    fair enough

rosie
    I can see why that is the case, but I've never seen it in an advert. Which ones do you watch!

ReputationRep:
    I can see why that is the case, but I've never seen it in an advert. Which ones do you watch!
    Indeed!!

ReputationRep:
    UndiscoverdSelf, have you ever read the Xenophobe's guide to the Welsh? Good book.

i don't suppose that's available in welsh, but it may be on my english reading list[/QUOTE]

Nah, the Xenophobe's guides are pretty irreverent. They'd never be on a university reading list.

i thought it was just comon knowledge..........i dont even watch much tv!

maybe its on the packets?

maybe squishy can find out for us next time he goes shopping

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.