Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got nothing against musicals, but has anyone else noticed how they seem to come up in converstions (esp on the cambridge forum) quite often?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Cam really is my perfect university!

People here just have good taste I guess

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell this thread is busy =o

ReputationRep:
    It had no posts for a few minutes before you jumped in. Practically abandoned!

ReputationRep:
    If people can dance we could do westside - vey cool parts for instrumentalists and high quality music. Did anyone know that when he was a kid, Leonard Bernstien was oscar hammerstiens neighbour and that's how he got into it (Maybe this is just me sondheim obsession again as he wrote the lyrics for WSS)

MB

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've heard West Side Story is terrible.
    I'd love to do We Will Rock You as well. It's totally fab but it'd be hell getting the rights for it.
    Much easier to do Chess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I don't know cantonese either...well...i do know some of the names of food lol....the essentials obviously!!

didn't know it was called 'It'..lol! What grade are you on the piano then??

G
    Yes, the few essentials: dim sum, wok, chow mein (that's Mandarin, but whatever)...

I got Grade 8 distinction a while ago. I haven't played much piano since then though. The only reason I learned the C#-minor prelude is because I listened to it once and really loved it...and also my music teacher told me I had to play in a concert in three weeks and I had nothing prepared. Those thumping big chords at the end were different from the ones at the beginning...since I didn't have the energy to learn the new notes, I just reused the ones at the beginning, but I don't think anyone noticed. Are you going to sing for us in Youkayelljay?

Does this mean that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are now the blessèd Tit? I always thought so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    If people can dance we could do westside - vey cool parts for instrumentalists and high quality music. Did anyone know that when he was a kid, Leonard Bernstien was oscar hammerstiens neighbour and that's how he got into it (Maybe this is just me sondheim obsession again as he wrote the lyrics for WSS)

MB
    Apparently a 'binsonite wrote most of the lyrics for the Phantom of the Opera musical.

ReputationRep:
    Richard Stilgoe went to Binson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Richard Stilgoe went to Binson?
    No, he was at Clare. Charles Hart went to Robinson, and he did most of the lyrics (Stilgoe said he wrote about a third of it, so they share credits).

ReputationRep:
    Ah righty-ho. Phantom's not one I obsess over, so you can forgive the lapse.

Now if it was Tim Rice on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I won't have this said about West side story. THe music is great and was one of the first musicals to be composed using leitmotifs. The story is well tried and tested - the usual "liebestod" thing but more specifically romeo and juliet but also similarities to tristan. I hate andrew lloyd webber - his mussic is never innovative and it just sounds like pop songs. As for the rachmaninov, I don't like it. See the music society thread where i've already argues this point.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Just never sounded like my cup of tea. Although I'm not overly fond of Andrew Lloyd Webber either, although I like some of his stuff. I just think of West Side Story as one of those really American boy meets girl (even if their mates want to kill each other) musicals. I like something with a little more meat.

ReputationRep:
    Just never sounded like my cup of tea. Although I'm not overly fond of Andrew Lloyd Webber either, although I like some of his stuff. I just think of West Side Story as one of those really American boy meets girl (even if their mates want to kill each other) musicals. I like something with a little more meat.
    It is most certainly not "boy meets girl". It is about class/culture conflict and gang rivalry. have you ever seen it?

MB

ReputationRep:
    Ah righty-ho. Phantom's not one I obsess over, so you can forgive the lapse.

Now if it was Tim Rice on the other hand...
    i heard tim rice on desert island discs (am i sad, listening to radio 4!) the other day. it was really interesting and he seemed really nice!

ReputationRep:
    It is most certainly not "boy meets girl". It is about class/culture conflict and gang rivalry. have you ever seen it?

MB
    Only bits. Still not meaty enough for my carnivorous tastes.

ReputationRep:
    Only bits. Still not meaty enough for my carnivorous tastes.
    OH come on. It ends with a gunshot. It has fights and a rape. It's just that these are stylised into dance. How more meaty can you get?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i heard tim rice on desert island discs (am i sad, listening to radio 4!) the other day. it was really interesting and he seemed really nice!
    He's so funny too! He can write some fabulous lyrics

ReputationRep:
    OH come on. It ends with a gunshot. It has fights and a rape. It's just that these are stylised into dance. How more meaty can you get?

MB
    Ever seen Les Miserables?
    EDIT: And the ending of Chess! Oh god that is so depressing. But I love it so much.

ReputationRep:
    Ever seen Les Miserables?
    No, and I won't after what those *******s have done. They sacked all the musicians and are using a machine called "sinfonia" or something like that which responds to and electronic conductors baton. I am all for live performance thanks.

MB

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.