Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it would be easy enough to prove for any given sized vector, just substitute in values for the vectors and show it all works out...but the question is how do you prove that it is valid for all sized vectors.

ReputationRep:
    I miss maths

MB

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well think of it this way

A = (b x c)/[a.(b x c)]
    a.(b x c) is scalar, so we can treat it as any other number

A[a.(b x c)] = b x c

Dot product both sides by a

a.A[a.(b x c)] = a.(b x c)
    And like I said, a.(b x c) is scalar, so you can divide both sides by it quite easily

a.A = 1

The other parts will need some more manipulating...gah, makes me wish I'd paid more attention in P6.

Jacob, plenty of it for us all to do. You can do all my maths homework for me if you'd like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Jacob, plenty of it for us all to do. You can do all my maths homework for me if you'd like.
    No thanks. It's just that I did pretty much the whole A2 in a month cos the school messed up the maths teaching (we had an A2 and an AS class timetabled in the same room with the same teacher at the same time. By half way through april we'd got through half of P2 and M2 and hadn't started P3 so I taught myself (yay, I got A in every module). It was very stressful.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Sounds tough...how come you miss it though?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds tough...how come you miss it though?
    learning it at such high speed was very rewarding. Admittedly I was doing about 40 hours of maths a week and it messed up all my other subjects but it was fun. I liked teaching myself aswell. In my class out of 16 only three people gt grades. Me, one person who got a C and one who got an E. I don't know why the school didn't limit who could take the A level.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well think of it this way

A = (b x c)/[a.(b x c)]
    a.(b x c) is scalar, so we can treat it as any other number

A[a.(b x c)] = b x c

Dot product both sides by a

a.A[a.(b x c)] = a.(b x c)
    And like I said, a.(b x c) is scalar, so you can divide both sides by it quite easily

a.A = 1

The other parts will need some more manipulating...gah, makes me wish I'd paid more attention in P6.

Hmmmm i suppose that makes more sense, but something says to me that i'm not totally happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    In my class out of 16 only three people gt grades. Me, one person who got a C and one who got an E. I don't know why the school didn't limit who could take the A level.
    Eh, they have to do something. If not maths, they'll probably fail something else.

There was no danger of that at my school though...we have an influx of Asian kids every year who join just for the sixth form. Most of them are incredible at maths, and there are usually only about 3 non-Asian kids max in the Further Maths set (out of maybe 10-15). B's are really rare.

(Original post by Willa)
    Hmmmm i suppose that makes more sense, but something says to me that i'm not totally happy!
    I'll take that as approval coming from you.

TBH I'm not very happy with a lot of what I'm told in lessons. I've had to dig up a lot of proofs for the stuff they tell you to "assume" in A-level maths. I've only recently become happy that definite integration actually works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    but how does that mean that a . ( (b x c)/(a . (b x c)) ) = a.(bxc)/a.(bxc)
    Sounds wuite reasonable to me *scratches head* :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I miss maths

MB
    :eek: i don't

ReputationRep:
    That natsci paper was nice! Can I do natsci please? Only I don't want to do any science. Just maths plz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    :eek: i don't
    Shame on you. :eek:

(Original post by fishpaste)
    That natsci paper was nice! Can I do natsci please? Only I don't want to do any science. Just maths plz.
    Umm, you will end up with a quarter of a degree, but it's worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

no you cant, you are doomed to recede back into a dark dingy corner and where you will perform advanced calculus for the rest of your days. Although it would be useful if you could help me out with the maths once in a while if my 3rd year buddy isnt around!

ReputationRep:
    Umm, you will end up with a quarter of a degree, but it's worth asking.
    That means I could spend 18 hours a day on UKL. Yes that's a brilliant plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    no you cant, you are doomed to recede back into a dark dingy corner and where you will perform advanced calculus for the rest of your days. Although it would be useful if you could help me out with the maths once in a while if my 3rd year buddy isnt around!
    note to self, pack tinned prunes and pencil sharpner for life in dingy corner.

ReputationRep:
    you wont need a pencil sharpner, you'll be a nerd with one of those extending lead pencil things.....so all you need is a load of the refiller things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    you wont need a pencil sharpner, you'll be a nerd with one of those extending lead pencil things.....so all you need is a load of the refiller things!
    OR...a blackboard

ReputationRep:
    i think a whiteboard or a blackboard would actually be really useful in my room...i'm thinking of getting one tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i think a whiteboard or a blackboard would actually be really useful in my room...i'm thinking of getting one tbh!
    I don't understand why blackboards still exist anymore to be honest. But I suppose they are charming if you're a mathematician/physicist/other brand of crazy scientist. Personally I think you should get a smartboard in your room. Yes, a bit 12 footer. You could watch movies on it and be *REALLY* popular.

ReputationRep:
    my dad wants to buy a digital projector....if he does i could knick it and make my room a cinema.....that would be close enough to a smartboard!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.