The Student Room Group
Reply 4620
yup 4 and a bit, and i still have loads of stuff to do....but it's stuff i dont particularly enjoy doing: shopping!
figgetyfig
Wow, my Catz one arrived the day after results day!

Possibly not a good thing though because it caused me to get all excited still with several weeks to go. What's it now, four and a bit? yey!

32 days for me :'(

my rent's £61.80 a week.. i asked for a cheap room.. seems quite high to me?!
Reply 4622
yea that is quite high...i'm baffled as to waht my rent is..it's each 59.50 or 57 something....the freshers pack has conflicting info everywhere. But yes above 60 quid is what i would have thought of as "not cheap"
£61.80 is OK, it's about average. Probably not the cheapest room Pembroke do (although who knows? - as rent prices vary from college to college) but it's not bad as Cambridge rooms go. If you're only charged for the time you spend in college - which in most colleges is the case - then for the first year your termly rent should be quite reasonable as first years don't normally stay much longer than Full Term.

Willa, how can you not like shopping?!!

21 days and counting...:biggrin:
crana
32 days for me :'(

my rent's £61.80 a week.. i asked for a cheap room.. seems quite high to me?!

My rent is £0 per week. Good old Emily Davies...! (Whoever the hell she was.. :smile:)
Reply 4625
MadNatSci

Simple.....I'm male :tongue:

A more specific answer would be that I am very indecisive and usually have a very specific idea of what I'm after. I dont mind shopping for material items, where you dont have a near infinite choice.....but that stuff can be bought online, so I dont have to actually go into a shop. Thus the only thing which involves going in a shop is clothes shopping, of which I have quite a bit to do! And it's the type of shopping I hate most!
MadNatSci
£61.80 is OK, it's about average. Probably not the cheapest room Pembroke do (although who knows? - as rent prices vary from college to college) but it's not bad as Cambridge rooms go. If you're only charged for the time you spend in college - which in most colleges is the case - then for the first year your termly rent should be quite reasonable as first years don't normally stay much longer than Full Term.

21 days and counting...:biggrin:

the cheapest last year was £42 .. but most of the rooms are in the upper price bands, only like 2% were in each of the lower bands... and im having a ground floor room just in case so i guess there wasnt as much choice. oh well.

21 days? how so? i make it 32..?
Willa

A more specific answer would be that I am very indecisive and usually have a very specific idea of what I'm after. I dont mind shopping for material items, where you dont have a near infinite choice.....but that stuff can be bought online, so I dont have to actually go into a shop. Thus the only thing which involves going in a shop is clothes shopping, of which I have quite a bit to do! And it's the type of shopping I hate most!

ah, but what you want to do is work out what sizess in which brands always fit you, and then buy them off ebay (you can get them brand new with tags..)... deliverd to your door.....no effort involved :wink:
Just looked her up...

"In the 19th century it was very difficult for women to obtain a university education. In the early 1870s, two leaders of the feminist movement, Emily Davies and Barbara Bodichon, began raising money to establish a women's college in Cambridge. Eventually they raised enough money to purchase Benslow, a house two miles outside the town. In 1873 Benslow House was opened as Girton College.

The two women held different views on women's education. Emily Davies believed that the students should concentrate on traditional subjects such as classics and mathematics whereas Barbara Bodichon wanted a more radical approach to the curriculum. The two women also disagreed on student discipline. Davies favoured a strict regime compared to Barbara's more liberal approach. Emily also insisted that the new college must be affiliated to the Church of England."

I'm glad I have a strong materialistic streak in me - my idealism is shouting at me to reject anything associated with such a person.

1) I hate feminism. It is akin to fascism. Equal rights - bouncy. Extra rights = fascist.

2) I object to religion. It is a cause of division and conflict across the world. Some mad Islamic extremists have just taken over 250 school children hostage and are threatening to blow them up in Russia. No religion = no desire to do crap like that. The Anglican Church Davies loved so much was also responsible for many, many deaths during the potato blight of the 1840's.

3) I do agree with her on her attitude to discipline and teaching the Classics, however. In a lot of ways I wish I had a pedagogus standing there to thump me everytime my laziness got the better of me! I also love most things Greek (sadly it's been ages since I did the language and have forgotten it :frown:) - their drama, their philosophies, their science and everything else really!
Reply 4629
definitely less than 32...my counter says: 30 Days, 10 Hours, 21 Mins and 56 Secs

which is 31 days including today
Reply 4630
crana
ah, but what you want to do is work out what sizess in which brands always fit you, and then buy them off ebay (you can get them brand new with tags..)... deliverd to your door.....no effort involved :wink:

this morning I bought a pair of armarni jeans from my brother who bought them off the net (but are too small for him)....so I am slowly getting into that ebaying stuff...if only in an indirect way!
Willa

Ah, one day men will learn the sheer enjoyment of wandering around a shop without any intention of buying anything. Trying on expensive clothes and pretending you're worth a million dollars... whilst pointing out real and imaginary flaws so you have an excuse not to buy anything :wink: Childish but fun.

Rosie: Hmm, that does seem a bit expensive if the cheapest rooms are £42!! But if you have any financial difficulty there are people you can talk to who will help you out, so don't worry about it too much :smile: (Vicki and I are going up early to help with Open Days btw, hence the shorter countdown... I'm just enjoying the short time left at home-and-work!)
Willa
definitely less than 32...my counter says: 30 Days, 10 Hours, 21 Mins and 56 Secs

which is 31 days including today

If I had such a counter, it'd upset me and fill me full of dread! RU 100% happy about going then Will?
polthegael
Just looked her up...

"In the 19th century it was very difficult for women to obtain a university education. In the early 1870s, two leaders of the feminist movement, Emily Davies and Barbara Bodichon, began raising money to establish a women's college in Cambridge. Eventually they raised enough money to purchase Benslow, a house two miles outside the town. In 1873 Benslow House was opened as Girton College.

The two women held different views on women's education. Emily Davies believed that the students should concentrate on traditional subjects such as classics and mathematics whereas Barbara Bodichon wanted a more radical approach to the curriculum. The two women also disagreed on student discipline. Davies favoured a strict regime compared to Barbara's more liberal approach. Emily also insisted that the new college must be affiliated to the Church of England."

I'm glad I have a strong materialistic streak in me - my idealism is shouting at me to reject anything associated with such a person.

1) I hate feminism. It is akin to fascism. Equal rights - bouncy. Extra rights = fascist.

2) I object to religion. It is a cause of division and conflict across the world. Some mad Islamic extremists have just taken over 250 school children hostage and are threatening to blow them up in Russia. No religion = no desire to do crap like that. The Anglican Church Davies loved so much was also responsible for many, many deaths during the potato blight of the 1840's.

3) I do agree with her on her attitude to discipline and teaching the Classics, however. In a lot of ways I wish I had a pedagogus standing there to thump me everytime my laziness got the better of me! I also love most things Greek (sadly it's been ages since I did the language and have forgotten it :frown:) - their drama, their philosophies, their science and everything else really!

Scary. I actually agree with you on all those points :eek:
my rent is £700 per term, is that good or bad? (t'is two rooms sharing one bathroom)
MadNatSci
Scary. I actually agree with you on all those points :eek:

:smile: <--- That you agree with me!

:frown: <--- That you think it's scary!
polthegael
:smile: <--- That you agree with me!

:frown: <--- That you think it's scary!

Hehehehe :biggrin: I usually disagree with you where Ireland's involved, that's all - most of the time my disagreement comes just about the time you start labelling the British evil landgrabbing bastards :wink:
MadNatSci
the British evil landgrabbing bastards :wink:

A great quote from Nicki (not me!) :tongue:
Reply 4638
polthegael
If I had such a counter, it'd upset me and fill me full of dread! RU 100% happy about going then Will?

yes i am 100% happy about going up...as long as I can get all the stuff sorted which needs sorting....so many forms and stuff I'm just getting confused!
Bah! Curse those Irish and their pesky cunning :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending