Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by musicboy)
    again, burning it is more fun in pure oxygen. BTW some of you natscis have to get me som hydrazine next year (if you don't know what it is, look it up)

MB
    pure oxygen isnt something i have a lot of in my bedroom however.

having said that, i guess i could make some. or seeing how i work in a hospitaln i could try and smuggle a cainster out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

having said that, i guess i could make some. or seeing how i work in a hospitaln i could try and smuggle a cainster out
    I used to burn iron wires in the pure oxygen. But that's a long way back in the time. My A'level chemistry teacher specifically said that iron would not react in pure oxygen. I guess that means I have been fooled.... :confused:

If you want to try this, here are the things you need. Pure oxygen is essential. You can get it by heating KMnO4, or heating KClO3 with MnO2. I suspect the oxygen suplied to college isn't pure enough. Get yourself a straight iron wire or something similar with a diameter of about half a milimieter. Tie a match on one end of the wire, light it. Wait till the iron wire is glowing red, plung it into the oxygen you have collected before the match stick burns out. You'll see what I saw about 5 years ago. good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I just received a letter from my college parents. Has any one else had this?

Anyway, I have five siblings so we're going to be a family of eight. Shazam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I used to burn iron wires in the pure oxygen. But that's a long way back in the time. My A'level chemistry teacher specifically said that iron would not react in pure oxygen. I guess that means I have been fooled.... :confused:

If you want to try this, here are the things you need. Pure oxygen is essential. You can get it by heating KMnO4, or heating KClO3 with MnO2. I suspect the oxygen suplied to college isn't pure enough. Get yourself a straight iron wire or something similar with a diameter of about half a milimieter. Tie a match on one end of the wire, light it. Wait till the iron wire is glowing red, plung it into the oxygen you have collected before the match stick burns out. You'll see what I saw about 5 years ago. good stuff.
    sounds fun. That reminds me. You can get KMno4 crystals from a pharmacy. put them on a little tray and pour on some glycerin (also available at a pharmacy). It's nothing very big - just gets very hot and there are sparks and smoke and stuff. We once evaporated a plastic bottle with this,

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I just received a letter from my college parents. Has any one else had this?

Anyway, I have five siblings so we're going to be a family of eight. Shazam.

NOOOO I want my emma college parents too.....This is thoroughly unfair!!!

Oh and btw francium you cant get for love nor money, simply because as soon as you make it, it just reacts with whatever is nearby and it goes to an ion state again...it's useless really

although caseium....now that's fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

having said that, i guess i could make some.
    I tried the 9V battery with graphite electrodes (took wood of pencil "leads") in NaCl(aq) to try to form H2 and Cl2 when I was a child. Not very impressive, though it did smell of Cl2 a bit. Deionised water should give you O2 if electrolysed. How would you do it? Fractional distillation of liquid air is soooooo impractical!

ReputationRep:
    well if you electrolysis water you will get small amounts of O2, because of 1 part in a billion of ionised water or something stupid like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    well if you electrolysis water you will get small amounts of O2, because of 1 part in a billion of ionised water or something stupid like that.
    Yes, but there is a constant equilibrium. That is why, although glucose is mainly held in a ring form in our bodies (which cannot be respired), as some linear glucose is respired, so more ring forms become linear forms, etc...

All to do with that French chappie Le Chatillier or whatever he called himself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Yes, but there is a constant equilibrium. That is why, although glucose is mainly held in a ring form in our bodies (which cannot be respired), as some linear glucose is respired, so more ring forms become linear forms, etc...

All to do with that French chappie Le Chatillier or whatever he called himself..

i dont see how that effects my answer......it only says that as you take stuff out, more will be made....but it will still form incredibly slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i dont see how that effects my answer......it only says that as you take stuff out, more will be made....but it will still form incredibly slowly.
    But there will be a steady current and it will not be a case of take away some and it stops. You could use tap water, which would be much faster, but you may get loads of other stuff at your electrodes considering the amount of crap you get in drinking water.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    One can always mix KNO3, C, and S. Leave it to dry, then burn .

ReputationRep:
    want hot? easy. take an iron nail, file it down, and soak iron filings in water to get them to rust quickly. take an aluminium can, file it down to make aluminium filings, preferably just before you start the reaction so there is less oxidation of the aluminium. mix rusty filings and aluminium filings, place powder over concrete or some other thick piece of metal. throw a lit piece of magnesium into the mix after wearing a pair of sunglasses. (starts the thermite reaction)

watch metal burn. (my friends and i were soooo tempted to burn a hole through that big statue sitting in the middle of king's using this reaction )

this can also be used to break into safes... although you really want to make sure you don't burn the contents of the safes when doing this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    want hot? easy. take an iron nail, file it down, and soak iron filings in water to get them to rust quickly. take an aluminium can, file it down to make aluminium filings, preferably just before you start the reaction so there is less oxidation of the aluminium. mix rusty filings and aluminium filings, place powder over concrete or some other thick piece of metal. throw a lit piece of magnesium into the mix after wearing a pair of sunglasses.

watch metal burn. (my friends and i were soooo tempted to burn a hole through that big statue sitting in the middle of king's using this reaction )

this can also be used to break into safes... although you really want to make sure you don't burn the contents of the safes when doing this...
    THERMIT!!!

ReputationRep:
    another one is napalm, but this is nastier.

buy a cheap bar of soap. make shavings out of the entire bar of soap. dump in pot and cover generously with cooking oil. boil the mixture, stirring constantly. (warning: VERY flammable). you should get a thick goo.

spread goo on object and light goo with match - voila, napalm!

for the truly nasty delivery (i've never tried this...), try using more cooking oil to thin the mix, then put the resulting gloop into a high pressure water gun. proper flamethrower anyone? (not those piddly little alcohol/aerosol ones that people like to fool around with - this is NAPALM... )

ReputationRep:
    you know far too much about explosives for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    you know far too much about explosives for your own good.
    who me? :cool:

no harm in a bit of idle internet surfing, entering stuff like "anarchist cookbook" into google

seriously? i go for the readily makeable stuff, like napalm and thermite. gunpowder and other such exotics require too much exotic raw material to be realistically feasible...

potassium nitrate explosives, on the other hand... easy

1. find liquid NPK fertilizer. make sure N and K ratios are correct (you do the math yourself, it is usually by weight), and as little of P as possible. (N here usually exists as NO3-, how convenient)

2. distil fertilizer, then grow crystals using standard method taught in GCSE chemistry.

3. crush crystals (the oxidant) with glucose (the fuel).

4. BURN.... muahahaha...

and for those who can get their hands on conc. fuming HNO3, this one's the most innocuous of them all.

dip cotton wool into conc. HNO3 for a few days. dry. (make SURE it's never too hot, or it'll go KABOOM).

put somewhere which will get rather hot. the guncotton will explode when it warms up. guncotton was a commonly used explosive in the early days of explosives...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.anarchist-cookbook.com/download.htm

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    who me? :cool:

no harm in a bit of idle internet surfing, entering stuff like "anarchist cookbook" into google
    If you type in "how to make a nuclear bomb" there used to be this site about how to make it in your own kitchen. It also told you the best way to steal the plutonium and stuff. One of the best quotes I can remember from it was "A radiation suit is advised, but these are hard to get hold of. Ever heard that two heads are better than one?"

ReputationRep:
    don't follow everything they say - some of it can be hazardous to your continued well being... requires a deep understanding of chemistry to make stuff work.

stand back, and leave it to the professionals - me!

if you're into dodgy electronics and computers :

neworder.box.sk

(hmmm... makes me wonder if medicine was the correct profession for me... damn, i should have done a degree in crime! BA (Hons) in Crime... Cantab to boot! )

ReputationRep:
    I found that touch explosive that weirdo professors claims to be his in Braniac! Just need some iodine crystals....*-)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.