Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    completely on a different note, but flippin heck! i didn't realise all the B&B's would be so full up already! managed to eventually get one after about the 20th time, but it's not exactly cheap....anyone else having trouble accomodating their families for oct2nd? (if they're staying that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    completely on a different note, but flippin heck! i didn't realise all the B&B's would be so full up already! managed to eventually get one after about the 20th time, but it's not exactly cheap....anyone else having trouble accomodating their families for oct2nd? (if they're staying that is)
    try ringing college for their guest rooms... then again, if you have a BnB already... (college rooms about 20 quid a night??? don't know for sure, coz i've never booked one before...)

ReputationRep:
    has anyone had their reading list from their DOS yet? i haven't had anything since my freshers pack and am getting worried

ReputationRep:
    mayhaps you have no reading to do?

(Original post by KHL)
    another one is napalm, but this is nastier.

buy a cheap bar of soap. make shavings out of the entire bar of soap. dump in pot and cover generously with cooking oil. boil the mixture, stirring constantly. (warning: VERY flammable). you should get a thick goo.

spread goo on object and light goo with match - voila, napalm!

for the truly nasty delivery (i've never tried this...), try using more cooking oil to thin the mix, then put the resulting gloop into a high pressure water gun. proper flamethrower anyone? (not those piddly little alcohol/aerosol ones that people like to fool around with - this is NAPALM... )
    i havent tried this one but an alternative method ive heard about is to melt polystyrene cups in petrol.

(Original post by visesh)
    I found that touch explosive that weirdo professors claims to be his in Braniac! Just need some iodine crystals....*-)
    nitrogen triiodide? (he didnt say what it was, but thats my guess!)

you can buy I2 crystals from ebay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    mayhaps you have no reading to do?
    i'm a modern linguist. highly unlikley. i've ordered stuff that was in the dept brochure, like the grammar books etc but i ain't got anything specific yet.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not buying any books until I get there...and the only books I'll be taking (relating to my subject) will probably be my feynman lecture set, and that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I just received a letter from my college parents. Has any one else had this?

Anyway, I have five siblings so we're going to be a family of eight. Shazam.
    Yea i have one from one of my college parents. Aparently i have another parent who i haven't heard from yet and i have a sister too. Both of my parents are girls, oh happy days!
    Incidentally, what's with the whole chemistry discussion, my explosives work is a little fuzzy these days, my days of blowing stuff up have passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollo Loco)
    Yea i have one from one of my college parents. Aparently i have another parent who i haven't heard from yet and i have a sister too. Both of my parents are girls, oh happy days!
    Incidentally, what's with the whole chemistry discussion, my explosives work is a little fuzzy these days, my days of blowing stuff up have passed.
    I haven't heard from my younger-than-me parents yet

BTW - ever heard of Jolly Roger and his Anarchist's Cookbook, Daniel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i'm a modern linguist.
    If I was doing languages. I guess I'd be an ancient linguist

Damned youngsters..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Hehe that should be a fun family

ReputationRep:

BTW - ever heard of Jolly Roger and his Anarchist's Cookbook, Daniel?
    Can't say i have, i learnt most of mine from our insane A-level Chemistry teacher, Mr Ray Sharples (or DJ Ray as he was known, long story..). Don't worry, your parents will find you, they won't leave you alone in the cold. I wouldn't mind but i haven't met Helen (my parent, hello if she is present) yet and i already like her from the letter i got.

(Original post by Willa)
    i'm not buying any books until I get there...and the only books I'll be taking (relating to my subject) will probably be my feynman lecture set, and that's about it.
    im not buying any books but im going to take the couple of vaguely relevant textbooks ive picked up from oxfam etc.

by the way, doesnt look like im doing chemistry now. Anyone interested in a super duper copy of "Inorganic Chemistry" by atkins and some other bloke? £10 if you are. i have lots and lots of random music books as well.

ReputationRep:
    if that book is a book we will need, i'll have it

ReputationRep:
    I will be your mum pol! Right subject and all! And don't worry about them being younger than you - we have a mature (admittedly only 22) student in our year who did natsci before. His daughter is now his mum. Work that one out

(Original post by Willa)
    if that book is a book we will need, i'll have it
    itys not on the reading list or anything but it's a uni level, new ish textbook. if you want ill just bring it wit heverything else and you can have a look and see if yu want it or not.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    yes please do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    ahh memories of AS chemistry *tightens nooose* ooh if anyone has any potassium going spare though....so much fun in water is it caesium that's that more powerful than potassium and lithium? we saw a video of how either that, or francium, reacted in water....teehee
    I know the thread has left this now but.. yeah, it was caesium, it's an OU video If you get a good sized lump of sodium you get the same effect though (this knowledge courtesy of Nicky's fave chemistry lecturer)

ReputationRep:
    talking of chemistry videos, has anyone seen that one with the periodic table song on it? it was sung by tom lehrer in 1959 at harvard. genius

listen to it
    here

``There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,
    And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium
    And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,
    And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium,
    Europium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium
    And lanthanum and osmium and astatine and radium
    And gold, protactinium and indium and gallium (inhale)
    And iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium.

``There's yttrium, ytterbium, actinium, rubidium
    And boron, gadolinium, niobium, iridium
    And strontium and silicon and silver and samarium,
    And bismuth, bromine, lithium, beryllium and barium.

``There's holmium and helium and hafnium and erbium
    And phosphorous and francium and fluorine and terbium
    And manganese and mercury, molybdinum, magnesium,
    Dysprosium and scandium and cerium and cesium
    And lead, praseodymium, and platinum, plutonium,
    Paladium, promethium, potassium, polonium, and
    Tantalum, technetium, titanium, tellurium, (inhale)
    And cadmium and calcium and chromium and curium.

``There's sulfur, californium and fermium, berkelium
    And also mendelevium, einsteinium and nobelium
    And argon, krypton, neon, radon, xenon, zinc and rhodium
    And chlorine, carbon, cobalt, copper,
    Tungsten, tin and sodium.

``These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard,
    And there may be many others but they haven't been discovered.''

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.