Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good old Tom Lehrer

EDIT: actually both that song, and the caesium reaction thing were in the same video I saw. Bitesize Standard Grade Chemistry. We watched it soooooo many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I know the thread has left this now but.. yeah, it was caesium, it's an OU video If you get a good sized lump of sodium you get the same effect though (this knowledge courtesy of Nicky's fave chemistry lecturer)
    Oooh, is that the guy who blows stuff up every lecture? I've heard lots about him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I know the thread has left this now but.. yeah, it was caesium, it's an OU video If you get a good sized lump of sodium you get the same effect though (this knowledge courtesy of Nicky's fave chemistry lecturer)

Again, sodium works better with acid.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the touch explosive is called ammonium triiodide - we made it once quite successfully, Just mix iodine crystals (as small as you can get) with excess ammonia. When the reaction is finished it will stop bubbling hydrogen. The explosive is the precipitate so you can just use filter paper (be bloody careful). very easy to set off.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here are todays fireball recipes.

1: get a can of WD40 and a metal bin. Spray the whole can into the bin. Stand well back and throw in a match.

2: cut a beer can in half and take the bottom half. Put in some candles (or any wax). Attach it to the end of a long stick. heat it with a blow torch until it reaches it's spark point and starts burning. Then get another half a beer can and fill it with water and attach it to the end of another long stick. Hold the cans as far away as possible using the stick. Pour the water into the burning wax and you should get a big fat fireball.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    talking of chemistry videos, has anyone seen that one with the periodic table song on it? it was sung by tom lehrer in 1959 at harvard. genius

listen to it
    here

``There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,
    And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium
    And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,
    And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium,
    Europium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium
    And lanthanum and osmium and astatine and radium
    And gold, protactinium and indium and gallium (inhale)
    And iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium.

``There's yttrium, ytterbium, actinium, rubidium
    And boron, gadolinium, niobium, iridium
    And strontium and silicon and silver and samarium,
    And bismuth, bromine, lithium, beryllium and barium.

``There's holmium and helium and hafnium and erbium
    And phosphorous and francium and fluorine and terbium
    And manganese and mercury, molybdinum, magnesium,
    Dysprosium and scandium and cerium and cesium
    And lead, praseodymium, and platinum, plutonium,
    Paladium, promethium, potassium, polonium, and
    Tantalum, technetium, titanium, tellurium, (inhale)
    And cadmium and calcium and chromium and curium.

``There's sulfur, californium and fermium, berkelium
    And also mendelevium, einsteinium and nobelium
    And argon, krypton, neon, radon, xenon, zinc and rhodium
    And chlorine, carbon, cobalt, copper,
    Tungsten, tin and sodium.

``These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard,
    And there may be many others but they haven't been discovered.''
    I remember seeing this, i have never laughed so much in my life!

Edit: The song is based on the tune for the "Major General's Song" from the "Pirates of Penzance". We did it as a school show a couple of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Here's one for all you natscis http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm

MB

(Original post by musicboy)
    Ok, the touch explosive is called ammonium triiodide - we made it once quite successfully, Just mix iodine crystals (as small as you can get) with excess ammonia. When the reaction is finished it will stop bubbling hydrogen. The explosive is the precipitate so you can just use filter paper (be bloody careful). very easy to set off.

MB
    i already said that, but nitrogen triiodide. You lose!
    (by the way, some people have lost legs, fingers, eyes etc to this. so dont do it unless you either have supreme confidence or dont mind losing them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    (by the way, some people have lost legs, fingers, eyes etc to this. so dont do it unless you either have supreme confidence or dont mind losing them)
    Hey, vets are resigned to losing fingers and stuff in our careers anyway, so i don't mind getting a head start. Have we all been watching Brainiac then? Plus read my edit for my last post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

I know you already said it but you didn't include a recipe. It's not that dangerous - you just have to be a bit careful and have as few people in the lab as possible.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I know you already said it but you didn't include a recipe. It's not that dangerous - you just have to be a bit careful and have as few people in the lab as possible.

MB
    Or in your garage .

ReputationRep:

MB
    Lab?!? Who needs a lab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollo Loco)
    Lab?!? Who needs a lab.
    yes, all i'm saying is don't do it outside or if you must then do it in a place sheltered from wind and rain.

MB

ReputationRep:
    yes, all i'm saying is don't do it outside or if you must then do it in a place sheltered from wind and rain.

MB
    I was only joking, i usually prefer plastic explosives when i'm blowing stuff up...

ReputationRep:
    Sweet Jesus....this is what happens when i don't post for over a day.....the thread turns into Pyromaniacs Anonymous!!!! :eek:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Sweet Jesus....this is what happens when i don't post for over a day.....the thread turns into Pyromaniacs Anonymous!!!! :eek:

G
    Yea but you've posted by far the most on the thread. We didn't blow anything up or anything like that but explosions can be good.

ReputationRep:

G

oops, sorry. I think it was my fault

MB

ReputationRep:

G
    On a side note, most of the Cambridge Porters probably know more about explosives than we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollo Loco)
    Yea but you've posted by far the most on the thread.
    What can i say?? It's like my secret lovechild

G

ReputationRep:
    hey geoff, do u no whether all 260 odd lawyers are gonna be crammed into a single lecture theatre or r we gonna be split into groups?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.