Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Why do chinese people pick such strange british names....Like Geoff.....i have a friend called "Raymond"....although we all call him by his proper name: Ka Hao
    Lol....it's a chinese parent thing...they want their kids sound 'respectable'..and the best way of doing that is by giving him/her a proper english name! I know a chinese raymond, duncan, felicity, sheldon, rupert....there's more...just can't remember them all

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I've saved enough money to allow me to last 3 years using all the student loan, without earning another penny. Obviously I'm gonna try and get work during the long summers (save up for my precious dream guitar). Obviously anything i dont spend goes towards my savings fund. This is my budgetting:

One term = 10 weeks, so I spend 30 weeks at uni

Tuition Fees = 1150
    Book cost = 200
    Additional essential item costs = 150
    College room rent = 2100 (i'm gonna live a life of luxury :P)
    Food cost (per day) = 7
    My Weekly pocket money = 35

That comes to just over 6000 a year. I've saved 10,000 for uni, so with the 9000 student loan, i should be fine!
    HOW ON EARTH HAVE YOU SAVED ALL THAT?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Why do chinese people pick such strange british names....Like Geoff.....i have a friend called "Raymond"....although we all call him by his proper name: Ka Hao
    My name's Simon...it's not that weird. Although it is in the Bible, which kind of pisses me off.

(Original post by gzftan)
    Do you drink Squishy?? If so..how much can you handle?? Just wondering...
    Most I've ever had is er...three bottles in one night I think. I'm not a heavy drinker. I'd probably crack pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I've saved enough money to allow me to last 3 years using all the student loan, without earning another penny. Obviously I'm gonna try and get work during the long summers (save up for my precious dream guitar). Obviously anything i dont spend goes towards my savings fund. This is my budgetting:

One term = 10 weeks, so I spend 30 weeks at uni

Tuition Fees = 1150
    Book cost = 200
    Additional essential item costs = 150
    College room rent = 2100 (i'm gonna live a life of luxury :P)
    Food cost (per day) = 7
    My Weekly pocket money = 35

That comes to just over 6000 a year. I've saved 10,000 for uni, so with the 9000 student loan, i should be fine!
    Woah!!! Someone's organised!!:eek:

And there's me with my room still in a mess

G

ReputationRep:
    i'm very much a "plan for tomorrow" type of person. I worked in debenhams for 1.5 years, which i hated, but i just put up with it, because i had my target of 10,000 to reach. Obviously i havent earnt all 10,000. About 3000 has come from my parents, other money just comes from putting away birthday money every year, pocket money, and just generally saving....i dont drink, so pubs arent expensive for me, i'm generally content with what i have in life, so i dont need to buy things all the time. The things i want are always ridiculously expensive anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    My name's Simon...it's not that weird. Although it is in the Bible, which kind of pisses me off.

Most I've ever had is er...three bottles in one night I think. I'm not a heavy drinker. I'd probably crack pretty quickly.
    Cool...i'll add your name to the list!

I remember the first time i drank...after hearing all the stories of chinese embarassment at being a lightweight....i stopped after 2 bottles...just in case

Do you go bright red?? I don't...but most chinese people do..lol...and they giggle loads too

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i'm very much a "plan for tomorrow" type of person. I worked in debenhams for 1.5 years, which i hated, but i just put up with it, because i had my target of 10,000 to reach. Obviously i havent earnt all 10,000. About 3000 has come from my parents, other money just comes from putting away birthday money every year, pocket money, and just generally saving....i dont drink, so pubs arent expensive for me, i'm generally content with what i have in life, so i dont need to buy things all the time. The things i want are always ridiculously expensive anyway!
    oh. my. god.
    I've been working since i was 13! i feel very very unorganized and like i have holes in my pockets!! Ah well crap happens doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    "Yeh...loads of blokes have seen my ****....it's not a big thing...."
    Proof you should think before you speak
    lol, i just noticed that in your sig.....when did you say that?

Oh also i did a paper round for like 5 years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Wow...i wish i had your forward planning....would probably make life a lot easier!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    lol, i just noticed that in your sig.....when did you say that?

Oh also i did a paper round for like 5 years!
    Lol...it wasn't me....i go to an all boys school....so the levels of maturity low and conversation topics regularly turn to rude subjects.

Anyways...one day...we were just sitting in a room when someone walks in and says.....URGH......X SHOWED ME HIS WILLY!!!!!!!!

To which there was tremendous uproar in the room...so to try and diffuse it.....X replied...yeh...laods of blokes have seen my ****....it's not a big thing....

Dear oh dear....

Since that day..it has held a place in my sig!

G

(Original post by Squishy)
    That limit is quite high though.
    good point... I weigh ~ 8 stone if that helps.

(Original post by Fluffstar)
    Have you thought about the cost of living next year at all? like i said i've been doing some sums and...um...not looking too good
    neither is mine!

Ha!!! Lol....no!!! Haven't even really thought about it. However...from what my sister told me once..you should set yourself a budget of something like £60 a week on non-rent stuff..like food....and keep within it!

I don't need to worry about food as much though.....cos Caius say you have to buy 40 'meal tickets' at the start of the term...and then use then to eat in the college. So i'll try and get my parents to pay for the food in a lump sum...leaving me only with rent and going out to worry about!! lol

G

aiiiiiiii, £60 a week? that'll probably be more than my rent :| im already in the red after paying my fees and rent for the year from my loan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    aiiiiiiii, £60 a week? that'll probably be more than my rent :| im already in the red after paying my fees and rent for the year from my loan...
    Ah..but my sister was self catered...and she went to uni in london....and she told me she normally didn't spend anywhere near that much...so its not all bad.

Do you not have any savings you can use?? Even then...i'm sure cambridge won't mind giving you book grants and the such to help fund it.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i know me too! i have about 200 quid in savings - and thats for this summer!! oh i'm going to be poor...

EDIT : still have UCLJ to keep me happy though <grin>

ReputationRep:
    EDIT : still have UCLJ to keep me happy though <grin>
    I missed that....UCLJ???? I thought the band was UKLJ????

What about parents....can they not help you out with fees and stuff???

G

ReputationRep:
    I missed that....UCLJ???? I thought the band was UKLJ????

What about parents....can they not help you out with fees and stuff???

G
    tee hee whoops!!

um no. is the short answer to that! Mum might be able to give me food when i come home (read: go to ASDA and buy crateloads to cart back up with me) and i'm sure if i was stuck she'd help me out, but other than that i'm on my own! :rolleyes:
    ...like a lot of other people, mind

EDIT : actually tbh i havn't pinned her down to ask about it...which might be an idea.

ReputationRep:
    tee hee whoops!!

um no. is the short answer to that! Mum might be able to give me food when i come home (read: go to ASDA and buy crateloads to cart back up with me) and i'm sure if i was stuck she'd help me out, but other than that i'm on my own! :rolleyes:
    ...like a lot of other people, mind
    Ah don't worry...we'll all be too busy working on our essays and preparing for supervisions to even realise we're hungry ....so thats the food bit sorted out!!

G

ReputationRep:
    no...food is too precious to me....mmm i feel hungry right now, waiting for someone to go get me some eggs for breakfast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    no...food is too precious to me....mmm i feel hungry right now, waiting for someone to go get me some eggs for breakfast!
    Go get it yourself!!!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.