Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My hard drive just died on me . I lost just about everything. So much for a compsci.

ReputationRep:
    Medics can fall ill you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Wait till your hard drive suddenly dies on you. Comment then . I spent the last four hours recoverying anything I could.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently going mad, pulling my hair out. And I just found out that I have no windows update installed... Bloody Hell!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Wait till your hard drive suddenly dies on you. Comment then . I spent the last four hours recoverying anything I could.
    LOL, I know what you mean...my hard drive failed about three years ago and I lost absolutely everything, and then about a month later the motherboard started causing all kinds of problems and I thought I'd lost everything again, but luckily the HD wasn't damaged and the comp worked again after I replaced the MB.

I kept lots of backups after that...floppies are good for text files and documents, and CD-Rs are good for big stuff like MP3s. Or use a second hard drive for that.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, I know what you mean...my hard drive failed about three years ago and I lost absolutely everything, and then about a month later the motherboard started causing all kinds of problems and I thought I'd lost everything again, but luckily the HD wasn't damaged and the comp worked again after I replaced the MB.

I kept lots of backups after that...floppies are good for text files and documents, and CD-Rs are good for big stuff like MP3s. Or use a second hard drive for that.
    I delete files I've backed up from my hard drive. I think I only lost 2 GB of data, well, I've not really poked through everything Found.001 folder yet. It just might turn up somewhere or another.

I thought I'd watch some movie while I eat my late lunch. Once I pop the DVD in, it just wiped out absolutely everything, including the entire windows directory. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd watch some movie while I eat my late lunch. Once I pop the DVD in, it just wiped out absolutely everything, including the entire windows directory. :eek:
    Was the DVD something ironic, like Total Recall?

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone picking on me today?

(Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Jealousy is a cruel, cruel mistress.
    What is there to be jealous of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Why is everyone picking on me today?
    'twasn't aimed at you specifically. And neither was my post about getting laid.

ReputationRep:
    Was the DVD something ironic, like Total Recall?
    Nope, but certainly wiped out a lot stuff on my drive. I can understand if you have virus, it would delete, by some means or another, widows and program files directories. I had this folder called Unzip on D: (not even C and that is lost as well. Plus now E: is unaccessible with rotten.exe and rotten.001 lost forever.

ReputationRep:
    'twasn't aimed at you specifically. And neither was my post about getting laid.
    Well no, the latter one wouldn't be really

And I'm glad about the former. I really didn't exploit it as much as I might have though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where I can get a copy of Windows Media Player 9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well no, the latter one wouldn't be really

And I'm glad about the former. I really didn't exploit it as much as I might have though.
    Are you trying to elicit some sympathy?

Do you know where I can get a copy of Windows Media Player 9?
    Microsoft website?

ReputationRep:
    Compsci to the rescue!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's not worth it. Stop now before I get all mopey on you all.

ReputationRep:

Microsoft website?
    Don't worry. Found a copy. Been junk digging all afternoon, still missed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Compsci to the rescue!
    Compsci does the destruction more like it.

Computer Scientist, people fix things that ain't broken.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe compscis are fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Hehe compscis are fun
    A great source for Star Trek trivia apparently.

ReputationRep:
    A great source for Star Trek trivia apparently.
    Diss them all ya like, but in times of pc crisis - they magically become ur long-lost best friend!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Corpus Christi College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    Pembroke College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.