Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by visesh)
    Welcome to the most random thread on UKL. I am taking a year out and ging to King's in 2005 to read Medicine. Crana (aka Rosie) has a friend who is going to read Medicine at Jesus this year incase you are interested.
    You are daft, she's going to queens. It's my ****** godfather who's at jesus!

ReputationRep:
    sorry what do you mean by last past? You're not leaving us!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Lol....i meant last post as in...the one before

However...i will be leaving soonish i think....what with uni and banaboo on their way.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I think he just means his previous post

ReputationRep:
    nah, you cant leave until you leave...as in you have to stay for the next 3 weeks. Although if the banaboo comes in before then, and it involves significant changes...well then i'm quitting too!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    nah, you cant leave until you leave...as in you have to stay for the next 3 weeks. Although if the banaboo comes in before then, and it involves significant changes...well then i'm quitting too!
    3 weeks??? I think you'll find its 2 weeks and 5 days till uni!!!

See if you can guess who's counting down the days

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comma)
    Well, you beat me to it.
    Lol.....you get points for effort though

G

ReputationRep:
    actually its 18 Days, 2 Hours, 29 Mins and 26 Secs.....so i win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    actually its 18 Days, 2 Hours, 29 Mins and 26 Secs.....so i win
    If you're a fresher and arriving by the midnight train!?

(Original post by Helenia)
    Me neither. I am boring. And sooooo ruralised - I thought Cambridge had a really diverse ethnic population (amongst the students, not the townspeople) but all my friends from London thought I was insane
    Never figured you as a country bumpkin! But then nowhere beats London for diversity, although lots of places have high percentages of particular ethnic groups, e.g Luton!

ReputationRep:
    well university begins at midnight that night for me!!!! That's how I'm seeing it anyways. I'm gonna be so excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadLy)
    Never figured you as a country bumpkin! But then nowhere beats London for diversity, although lots of places have high percentages of particular ethnic groups, e.g Luton!
    Of course I'm a country bumpkin! Not quite the tractor-driving, straw-chewing farmer girl type, but I'm definitely a rural town person rather than city (i.e. I think Cambridge is big!). For example, at my school, we had ONE black girl. My school was small (only 350 students) but at others it was similar. I think there were two British-born kids of Indian origin, and really that was it. We had a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese/Hong Kong boarders who were sent over to learn English, but sadly they mostly kept themselves to themselves so apart from inspection week (where we had to "celebrate our diversity :rolleyes: ) it was very much a limited background.

(Original post by gzftan)
    I wouldn't know...haven't been in cambridge long enough yet to get an idea...but if you look at KCL, UCL and SE...they have a HUGE percentage of asians studying there.
    Yes, that's true. Cambridge IS diverse, but obviously not as much as London (where as a percentage of the UK population, white brits are under-represented).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    well university begins at midnight that night for me!!!! That's how I'm seeing it anyways. I'm gonna be so excited!
    I can tell ur excited, and it's almost infectious!! I'll only get 'excited' when I realise that theres lots of packing to do... a few hours before I head there.

Of course I'm a country bumpkin! Not quite the tractor-driving, straw-chewing farmer girl type, but I'm definitely a rural town person rather than city (i.e. I think Cambridge is big!). For example, at my school, we had ONE black girl. My school was small (only 350 students) but at others it was similar. I think there were two British-born kids of Indian origin, and really that was it. We had a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese/Hong Kong boarders who were sent over to learn English, but sadly they mostly kept themselves to themselves so apart from inspection week (where we had to "celebrate our diversity ) it was very much a limited background.
    Woah! Cambridge....big!?! i thought I came from a relatively small town, that wasnt that diverse though its in commuting distance of London. We also had some boarders, mostly with parents in the RAF or from Hong Kong...though it was a bigger school (about 1000 pupils) and so larger friendship groups.

ReputationRep:
    i think i'll only be truly excited when i think i am ready to go up. The next week is going to be important in deciding whether or not that is the case, because i plan to buy most of the stuff i need/want this week. If all goes to plan, this time next week all I will need to get is a guitar and a possibly a hair cut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadLy)
    I can tell ur excited, and it's almost infectious!! I'll only get 'excited' when I realise that theres lots of packing to do... a few hours before I head there.
    I've been "excited" since the end of May Week It's been a long time coming. Willa, you will never be totally ready

I'm worried about arriving totally sleep-deprived already and then not being able to make it through term! I'm working right up till next Friday, and I'm going away next weekend to the Lake District, so I have no time to catch up on my sleep (which is very important to me )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comma)
    How huge is she? Because by the time the kittens have germinated, I think you'd be able to tell.
    She's pretty big for a tiny little cat, she's either very old or very young, she's still a scruffy little cat so hard to tell and she's missing teeth! Its just her tummy that's massive, it sticks out sideways, she waddles rather than walks and sits/cleans herself awkwardly. She's a loving cat, but doesn't get on that well with the dog; she growls!! She's gone quite defensive though...I'm fairly certain she's pregnant!

We have quite a few cat books, we have more cats than people in this house! I've done a bit of reading tonight and searched online for stuff and it's all looking like we're getting kittens. (my mum is not happy about it!!) Ticki, you're right it seems, they cope quite well on their own, it's only if there are complications that a vet might be needed; they clean them up, sort out goop & cords themselves, clever things! I have no idea how to do the check for how many she's expecting and have no idea how far gone she is! Poor little thing, kitten birth seems too big an ordeal for a tiny little cat!

If I'm not here when it happens, I won't be a happy chappy!!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is a big place to me as well! I got lost after my interviews, heh so stupid and so ashamed of myself, not like I hadn't visited before as well!!
    Come to think of it, I think I got lost at the open day as well...hmmm ulitmate stupidity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    If I'm not here when it happens, I won't be a happy chappy!!
    Nor will your mum, from the sound of things! Hope everything gets sorted and works out all right.

ReputationRep:
    it's really weird, but in terms of diversity, it's gonna be odd for me being in the same town as so many other asian people. i've always been the only (or one of the very few) indian kids in my school/college, and i hardly ever mix with most of the indian kids i know, either because they're too young/too old/live miles away now.

p.s 4th gem woo!! thank u aman!

ReputationRep:
    personally race is a completely transparent part of the society i operate in. Coming from an extremely multicultural school, I really dont care (and in fact dont notice) racial differences. I'm much more interested in the personalities.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.