The Student Room Group
Reply 540
gzftan
Lol...buy in bulk..that's the secret :tongue:

And...get your mum to freeze loads of food so you can take it to uni with you...:tongue:

G

and put it where? i thought we didnt have freezer compartments, just fridge :confused:
if we DO have freezer then that rocks!! frozen food is waay cheaper!
Reply 541
yuck...i hate eating leftover food, been doing so all my life. I'd rather get her to buy readymeals!
Reply 542
Fluffstar
and put it where? i thought we didnt have freezer compartments, just fridge :confused:
if we DO have freezer then that rocks!! frozen food is waay cheaper!

We don't get a freezer?!?!!?! Oh crap!!!! I suppose it would depend from college to college...but now that you mention it....i don't remember a freezer being mentioned....deary me....

Oh well....erm.....maybe the freezer option is out of the window then.:frown:

G
Reply 543
i know emma students (that's me :smile: ) get a fridge in their room!
Reply 544
Willa
yuck...i hate eating leftover food, been doing so all my life. I'd rather get her to buy readymeals!

Like i said before...i love leftover food....in fact..it's normally my brekkie :tongue:

G
Reply 545
Willa

me too, but they are real-l-l-y expensive in comparison. I dont mind leftover chicken and stuffing....:smile:
I dunno about freezer compartments, wonder if anyone who's already there can help us out?
Reply 546
Willa
i know emma students (that's me :smile: ) get a fridge in their room!

LUCKY!!! can i store stuff in yours? <grin>
gzftan
Ah..but my sister was self catered...and she went to uni in london....and she told me she normally didn't spend anywhere near that much...so its not all bad.

Do you not have any savings you can use?? Even then...i'm sure cambridge won't mind giving you book grants and the such to help fund it.

G

Yeah, I have been saving really hard for uni. I should get by...I hope.. but it is pretty dismal to think that even if I only have student loans and no other debt I'll leave with >£13k in debt (probably doing a 4 yr course)

I did find out the other day that i have got some shares my grandad left me but i can't sell them until Im 25 anyway. but at least that will help :smile: someone else in my family left me some money which.......my dad used to buy himself a garage. thanks dad :wink:
Reply 548
crana
someone else in my family left me some money which.......my dad used to buy himself a garage. thanks dad :wink:

how mean was that?! you could claim he has to reimburse you... :wink:
Willa
yea, unless you live in cam, you cant go home during term time, too much work for all!

shh, of course you can

even when you're a scientist

even when you have saturday lectures

even when you live a good 4 hours journey from home

ok, maybe ill just go to nottingham !
Reply 550
crana
someone else in my family left me some money which.......my dad used to buy himself a garage. thanks dad :wink:

Omg...that's terrible!!!!:eek:

Did you not oppt for any grants/bursary thingys when you applied for the funding??? Income-tested loan/fees???

G
Fluffstar
me too, but they are real-l-l-y expensive in comparison. I dont mind leftover chicken and stuffing....:smile:
I dunno about freezer compartments, wonder if anyone who's already there can help us out?

Asda frozen dinners are 5 for £4 if i remember correctly

:smile:
Fluffstar
how mean was that?! you could claim he has to reimburse you... :wink:

he claims it's an "investment"

mum had the other half to invest and managed to not increase its value at all in the past 10 years...so really she has made it smaller, if you consider inflation!

damn parents!!
Reply 553
crana
shh, of course you can

even when you're a scientist

even when you have saturday lectures

even when you live a good 4 hours journey from home

It's ok...while you're working in labs...i'll be writing some gigantic essay...then getting told its crap :tongue:

G
Reply 554
crana
Asda frozen dinners are 5 for £4 if i remember correctly

:smile:

weey. who said student life was crap? :wink:

crana

mum had the other half to invest and managed to not increase its value at all in the past 10 years...so really she has made it smaller, if you consider inflation!

k that sucks! ah well you've got something at least, you can thank them for that much :smile:
gzftan
Omg...that's terrible!!!!:eek:

Did you not oppt for any grants/bursary thingys when you applied for the funding??? Income-tested loan/fees???

G

my mum earns enough that i don't qualify for any of them.. I will be ok, I'm sure my parents will help me out.. It's just that when I'm already asking for them to give me free rent, food etc for 1/2 the year, and mum has given me the money from a baby bond thing that expired... I feel really bad asking for any more :|

but i think if i use my savings and I'm careful i should get by ok..

and hey the chances are I'll be at nottingham and live at home or move in with my boyfriend anyway :wink:
Reply 556
crana

damn parents!!

Lol...shoulda put it into a bank...never mind....at 5 for £4....invest in frozen dinners.....much better than shares and stocks :tongue:

And seeing as we're students....they're sure to increase in value as we all get more and more hungry!!!:tongue:

G
Reply 557
crana
and hey the chances are I'll be at nottingham and live at home or move in with my boyfriend anyway :wink:

Erm..what's all this talk about nottingham....you're not going there...you're going to cambridge with the rest of us!!!!!:smile:

G
Reply 558
crana
my mum earns enough that i don't qualify for any of them.. I will be ok, I'm sure my parents will help me out.. It's just that when I'm already asking for them to give me free rent, food etc for 1/2 the year, and mum has given me the money from a baby bond thing that expired... I feel really bad asking for any more :|

but i think if i use my savings and I'm careful i should get by ok..

on the subject of money - has anyone heard back from the SLC if they applied for means-tested loan? im starting to get a bit worried...want to know if i qualify for a grant! woo! free money!! :biggrin: (which she plans to spend on frozen dinners from nettos to flog at 100% profit to other hungry freshers :wink:)
Fluffstar
weey. who said student life was crap? :wink:

they aren't that bad actually.. well.. good to have a couple handy for when you are just too tired even to cook some pasta!

me and my friend Sam who is going to queens have said every week or so we will take it in turns to cook for each other..lol... except im a veggie and she is allergic to every known food..hehe

I had a brilliant plan that I could hire myself out (no, no, not like that!!) to incredibly rich boys who have never had to look after themselves.. to do stuff like tidy their room before their mum and dad come to visit.take their clothes to the laundrette... cook, erm, biscuits? lol..

any takers? (I make wonderful brownies!)

Latest