Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minor_Deity)
    As for May Balls, how much do they cost? And given I'm looking at £100 for a suit from M&S anyway, can't I just avoid needing a DJ by not going to formal hall etc? And (I'm sure I've asked this before) does Cambridge really have an access policy?
    You don't need a DJ for formal hall. You'll need them for posh dinners and the May Ball.

Tickets for these range from ~£72 (Robinson) to ~£250 for a double (Trinity). Clare's was £90, and you can easily add on more than that if you have dinner before/breakfast afterwards. However, I really found I didn't need either, as there was plenty of food and drink on offer all through the night, and it's all included in the ticket price. Which you would expect really, seeing how much you pay to get in.

Camford - you don't need to learn to ballroom dance. There isn't that much of that sort of dancing and though there are crash courses before the balls, you just don't do it if you don't want to. At most things there are various stages, we had a ceilidh band at one point which was great fun, and they had a caller to tell us what to do. There was a club/dance type tent as well, where you just do normal dancing. Worry about it all nearer the time of the ball...

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so out of control - I never know what's happening... it seems to have moved on to something completely different every time I look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    This thread is so out of control - I never know what's happening... it seems to have moved on to something completely different every time I look!
    It's in a permanent state of hijackage, you just have to go with the flow. Pick up whichever parts you want to

(Original post by Helenia)
    You don't need a DJ for formal hall. You'll need them for posh dinners and the May Ball.

Tickets for these range from ~£72 (Robinson) to ~£250 for a double (Trinity). Clare's was £90, and you can easily add on more than that if you have dinner before/breakfast afterwards. However, I really found I didn't need either, as there was plenty of food and drink on offer all through the night, and it's all included in the ticket price. Which you would expect really, seeing how much you pay to get in.

Camford - you don't need to learn to ballroom dance. There isn't that much of that sort of dancing and though there are crash courses before the balls, you just don't do it if you don't want to. At most things there are various stages, we had a ceilidh band at one point which was great fun, and they had a caller to tell us what to do. There was a club/dance type tent as well, where you just do normal dancing. Worry about it all nearer the time of the ball...
    I do a special kind of dance called the Lurk In The Shadows Near The Back routine.

It doesn't involve any kind of actual dancing. I think visesh will testify to the fact that i'm so clumsy (it's not my fault, blame my proprioception, innit) people would get felled like so many trees if i attempted any kind of movement in a dance floor

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving all these Make Trade Fair signatures! I have that on a white T-shirt (like Chris Martin's!), sadly I can't wear it as much now as like most of my other white shirts it has stains all down the front!

I don't have a ball dress, I won't need one until the summer though right?!
    I don't really do formal (I have the archaeologist look down to an art now, I'm always looking scruffy, even when I don't mean to! ) but I do have some new tops, blouses, shirts that will have to do for now and some smart trousers. I do have a nice new skirt which I had to buy for royal purposes this summer but I haven't worn it since then! Which meals/events require posh togs and which ones can you just wear normal smart clothes for? Do they let you know what is acceptable etc or are you just left to work that out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    I'm loving all these Make Trade Fair signatures! I have that on a white T-shirt (like Chris Martin's!), sadly I can't wear it as much now as like most of my other white shirts it has stains all down the front!

I don't have a ball dress, I won't need one until the summer though right?!
    I don't really do formal (I have the archaeologist look down to an art now, I'm always looking scruffy, even when I don't mean to! ) but I do have some new tops, blouses, shirts that will have to do for now and some smart trousers. I do have a nice new skirt which I had to buy for royal purposes this summer but I haven't worn it since then! Which meals/events require posh togs and which ones can you just wear normal smart clothes for? Do they let you know what is acceptable etc or are you just left to work that out?
    I don't do formal either except for concerts but that is just one of my thing - I get annoyed with people who turn up wearing trainers and tshirts because as far as I'm concerned the audience have turned up so weshould pay them a bit of respect (I sound like a crusty old conductor). Generally I look scruffy though. I have another 8 or so months until my next haircut (although I've just bought myself a hat with the money I have raised with the "new hat for jacob fund" - everyone I knew put in a pound for me to get rid of my old hat and I have just ordered this http://www.top-hats.com/5013.htm. I wouldn't have spent so much if it was my own money). I get the eeling that the bar migh be more my scene than formal halls.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    Not having met you, I couldn't possibly comment .
    omg maybe i met you......I was there...I met Geoff as well, but only very briefly. I was the blond haired male with the black shirt on! I might have met you but maybe I didnt. I suppose if you didnt, it means I'm still a bit of a mystery.

Yeah we found a pub in the end. I left there at about 11:30 i think, me and my mate were among the last 4 left, after having a huge discussion about science and religion (urgh). I also offended alot of people by saying the OC sucked!!!

but i dont care cos I MET GEOFF!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I didn't watch the video but I did read a transcript of the british guy pleaing. God. Who the hell do they think they are? I can only hope someday it's impressed upon them the act of inhumanity that they've committed, I hope they realise how despicably low they are. My heart's broken.
    I watched the video and I am in total shock....Wouldn't advise anybody to watch that.

(Original post by MentallyIll)
    I watched the video and I am in total shock....Wouldn't advise anybody to watch that.
    mentally ill!!

i've missed yo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)

How's the reading going? I still haven't read many books from the reading list, I am reading though, just not their specified ones! Field manuals at the moment and back dated copies of Current Archaeology!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the thread has changed direction again. Reminds me of a drunkard weaving his/her way through life. My apologies for the odd comments, i've just got up and i haven't had coffee yet.

ReputationRep:
    who else has one? atm, the only ones i've seen are just katiyakat's and mine! i used fishpaste's colour fading thingum for mine! thanks fish!
    the code takes up loads of space tho, so i had to chuck my spike milligan goon show quote :mad:

ReputationRep:
    yo peeps. I went to visit my friend at nottingham uni last night, and he seems happy, but the thing is, he's made friends with people from other halls/places because most of the people on his corridor have ostracised him. He is quite wealthy and hence went for expensive rooms, so consequently is surrounded by public school people obviously of a different background. Until then I always thought that everyone would at least try to get on. Now with cambridge coming closer I'm a bit concerned that people will see me in the same light.

I expect people will say "dont worry, everyone gets on etc" so go ahead... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How's the reading going? I still haven't read many books from the reading list, I am reading though, just not their specified ones! Field manuals at the moment and back dated copies of Current Archaeology!
    Hey, I haven't even been sent a reading list!!!!! I was only sent a list of field trips that we're going on!!! I haven't read a relevant book since March!

But I heard that you never discuss your summer reading anyway!....We'll see.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    mentally ill!!

i've missed yo!

Hey Rosie! I've been on holidays and stuff Can't believe that we only have less than 10 days left............ :eek:

PS Your sig is quality :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    No, I just said hello . I think he may have been part of the (very large) crew who went on to the Pub (except, when I left them, they still hadn't found one!) but I, alas, have to be at work at 7am tomorrow morning so ducked off home.
    That was flipping hilarious, we all followed someone that wasn't leading us to the pub. Baaaaa.

I zoomed off at Oxford Street station, had to get home early too.

AND WHAT WAS WITH THOSE LABEL FONTS???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    yo peeps. I went to visit my friend at nottingham uni last night, and he seems happy, but the thing is, he's made friends with people from other halls/places because most of the people on his corridor have ostracised him. He is quite wealthy and hence went for expensive rooms, so consequently is surrounded by public school people obviously of a different background. Until then I always thought that everyone would at least try to get on. Now with cambridge coming closer I'm a bit concerned that people will see me in the same light.

I expect people will say "dont worry, everyone gets on etc" so go ahead... :rolleyes:
    http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/catalog...ata=0099428369

Might be of interest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    shuai... be warned... I have knives, and I throw chairs.

Feel free to kill one of our other flatmates, but don't be messing with me. This applies equally to any of your other personalities.
    Knives.... :rolleyes: I love knives... stab me anytime. As for the chairs... You have at most 3 chairs unless you decide to take your own. In which case, you have only 3 chances to either knock me out or hit me on the head and send me to hell. Failing that, I shall hold on to your chairs. That means, you can't sit at your desk and study...

Anyway, I don't just kill people for no reason. I've never killed anyone before, but I do planning to kill someone in the future. But, if there's no person out there who can make me snap, it very unlikely that I'll ever kill anyone, except myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer)
    That was flipping hilarious, we all followed someone that wasn't leading us to the pub. Baaaaa.

I zoomed off at Oxford Street station, had to get home early too.

AND WHAT WAS WITH THOSE LABEL FONTS???
    nah, you should have come to the pub!!!
    And the label fonts were there to make the guys look all pervy...constantly staring at the woman's breasts!

Bah, yet another person I might have met there last night....what's your name!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Feel free to kill one of our other flatmates, but don't be messing with me. This applies equally to any of your other personalities.
    On the thoughts of flatmates. I do hope one of you 3 is going to take a computer to Cambridge. Otherwise, my movie collection would be wasted.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.