Cambridge Chat (previously New Cambridge Students Entry 2004)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh I seem to buy things all in a oner. A while ago my mum spent over 250 quid getting me new gear for the summer (but I did badly need it and it will get used). Makes a change to my six year old Kappa fleece :rolleyes:
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffstar)
'lo Acalia. I've tried that - mum's like "you're stockpiling for uni arent you? there is no way you can possibly need 7 pairs of trousers! its SUMMER!!"
busted...
Good evening Fulffstar (that's in retaliation! )
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
what is your actual name by the way? or is it really Acaila (v careful with spelling)
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hehe well done
It's Amy But that's a little too girly for me imo (no offence to Amy-Alys )
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hehe well done
so do you like being called amy or do you go by a different name?

by the way how do yo pronounce your username? in my head it sounds bit like Arkela (cant spell) for scouts or whatever
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well usually called Amy. Although that may change due to three Amys in my new drama class.

It's pronounced Ah(no r sound)-KAY-lah

EDIT: Look! 666 replies! I must be evil hehehehe muhahahahahah!
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
here is a picture of ralf as he still wants to be known, because he's being a bit of a mong and wont put it up himself
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Well usually called Amy. Although that may change due to three Amys in my new drama class.

It's pronounced Ah(no r sound)-KAY-lah

EDIT: Look! 666 replies! I must be evil hehehehe muhahahahahah!
maybe you could call yourself Aim. it sounds masculine like , erm. guns. maybe.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ralf? :confused:
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
maybe you could call yourself Aim. it sounds masculine like , erm. guns. maybe.
LOL that's nice. Perhaps :cool: Aim! Phear me for I am AIM!!!! heheh
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Ralf? :confused:
ralfskini

emma , bio natsci
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
{slaps head} Duh!
Scuse me. Having a blond day
The Albatross
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol, none taken! everyone calls me Amy, not Amy-Alys, anyway

Willa- what happened to your site?:eek: :eek:
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol, ya i forgot to worn you guys that my site goes down when i shut down my main pc....oops!
So dont refresh the page after 10pm :P
Fluffstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry!! obviously the part of my brain connecting my eyes to my hands has had some malfunction! hope i didnt offend you too much
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No one's in IRC...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
There's a mixture of stuff... you just have to get good at looking for stuff Ooh and incidentally for cheap books there's an Oxfam bookshop on Sidney Street, which sometimes has useful stuff in, and Galloway and Porter pretty much next door (slightly damaged books, much cheaper than Heffers/Borders/Waterstones)

*trying to think of more cheap shops*
I spent a hideous amount on clothes in Cambridge this last term I am usually very controlled, but there were a couple of occasions where I was going out and I had nothing suitable to wear, so I had to go and get new stuff. Also spent over £70 on new underwear wardrobe
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I spent a hideous amount on clothes in Cambridge this last term I am usually very controlled, but there were a couple of occasions where I was going out and I had nothing suitable to wear, so I had to go and get new stuff. Also spent over £70 on new underwear wardrobe
Yeah, I had a couple of "destressing shopping sprees" around exam time - oops Now actually have No Money for next year! Never mind, job fun this summer...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Yeah, I had a couple of "destressing shopping sprees" around exam time - oops Now actually have No Money for next year! Never mind, job fun this summer...
Yeah, it was May Week parties and various birthdays that were the killer. Then I got a huge infected insect bite on my lower leg and couldn't wear my pretty skirt anyway. I really really need to sort out a job.
KHL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it seems the ladies of cambridge spend an obscene amount every year on "nice dresses" for stuff like society and boat club dinners and may balls and stuff. some of my friends insist on getting new dresses for each and every event, even if it means beggaring themselves... odd people.

that said, first year males also tend to spend quite a bit on dinner jackets and stuff...

advice on dressing up, both to guys and girls: learn to tie a bowtie nicely, and you'll be a popular boy/girl come formal dinners... (too many people cop out and use clip-on bowties, imo)

* for guys coming up, consider investing in a black tie affair. i've used mine 5 times this past year alone - medsoc dinner, may ball, boat club dinner x3. renting it out would have cost GBP35-40 EACH TIME.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.98%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (54)
8.21%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (84)
12.77%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (79)
12.01%
Other reasons are stopping me going (84)
12.77%
Nothing is stopping me going (265)
40.27%

Watched Threads