Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    question: would i probably find it useful to have one of those USB pen-drive whatsits if i'm going to be using uni PCs and the one in my room? or not?
    No!! Just email stuff to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    question: would i probably find it useful to have one of those USB pen-drive whatsits if i'm going to be using uni PCs and the one in my room? or not?
    Definitely useful. I'm not going to get one though, until I get my pc down to Cambridge.

Ogre [am I right on the spelling?] ogrise oneself means turn oneself into an ogre.

good, emailing things is what ive always done before (and i now have gmail! even better) but i heard everyone going on about how they were uber-useful for uni

camford, i still have no idea what you are on about. why do you want to turn yourself into an ogre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    ooh i was thinking about getting one of them! how much are they?

(Original post by scarlet ibis)
    ooh i was thinking about getting one of them! how much are they?

amazon have a 128mb one for £10 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207 and the 256mb one is £16 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207

i think i'll stick with emailing myself stuff for the time being though.

ReputationRep:
    Emailing is easier,I expect. I have had USB devices before and I always break the USB thingy by mistake. If they're expensive, just email. If not, try one if you so desire but I have NEVER seen anyone doing that. Even supervisors just email themselves. hermes webmail gives you tons of spance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    camford, i still have no idea what you are on about. why do you want to turn yourself into an ogre?
    Yes, you are told correct. Due to the excessive dose of Shrek. *Vicent from Pulp Fiction: I got this chick, she's ODing on me.* You get the idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Emailing is easier,I expect. I have had USB devices before and I always break the USB thingy by mistake. If they're expensive, just email. If not, try one if you so desire but I have NEVER seen anyone doing that. Even supervisors just email themselves. hermes webmail gives you tons of spance anyway.
    cool!
    talking of email, i can't seem to get on to the gmail login page this evening! - http://gmail.google.com. :eek: does anyone else have this problem?

(Original post by Camford)
    Yes, you are told correct. Due to the excessive dose of Shrek. *Vicent from Pulp Fiction: I got this chick, she's ODing on me.* You get the idea?

No, I still have no clue what you're talking about. Do you mean making yourself sound scary?

ReputationRep:
    No.

OOO did you know, cambridge have an online dating website?

No.

OOO did you know, cambridge have an online dating website?

hahaha, yes, it's really funny. I think they restricted looking at photos or something to people on the cam domain though, which they didn't do before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    amazon have a 128mb one for £10 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207 and the 256mb one is £16 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207

i think i'll stick with emailing myself stuff for the time being though.

that's really pricy considering you can get an 80gb hard drive for 80 quid.

MB

ReputationRep:
    What, driving over someone's lawn and then stabbing adrenaline into someone's chest? :confused:

ReputationRep:

What the **** are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    How could break USB Thingy? I can't break it even if I tried to. Wow! USB is more convenient than e-mail attachements. Consider the following 2 separate procedures.

1, Not using usb drive
    1. save files into correct formats, tidy up say into a .zip file
    2. sign into one of your mail inbox
    3. compose, attach and send
    4. leave room and go to computers somewhere else
    5. log onto the system
    6. sign into the other e-mail inbox of yours
    7. read the message download the attachment save it to appropriate location.
    8. in case the computer don't have any decompression software, you have to repeat all previous steps
    9. if all goes well, find files open and read

2, with usb drive
    1. save files to usb drive. No need to tidy up.
    2. uplug the drive, turn off computer and leave
    3. find some other computer at some other place in the university
    4. log onto the system
    5. plug in the usb drive.
    6. open files and read so long as the formats are compatible. No need for compression software as the files are compressed.

So... Any comments?

(Original post by musicboy)
    that's really pricy considering you can get an 80gb hard drive for 80 quid.

MB

it's slightly less portable though. but i see what you're saying.

So... Any comments?
    Yes - Wow!

ReputationRep:
    What, driving over someone's lawn and then stabbing adrenaline into someone's chest? :confused:
    If he finds it out, I'm a f**king grease spot.

ReputationRep:
    How could break USB Thingy? I can't break it even if I tried to. Wow! USB is more convenient than e-mail attachements. Consider the following 2 separate procedures.

1, Not using usb drive
    1. save files into correct formats, tidy up say into a .zip file
    2. sign into one of your mail inbox
    3. compose, attach and send
    4. leave room and go to computers somewhere else
    5. log onto the system
    6. sign into the other e-mail inbox of yours
    7. read the message download the attachment save it to appropriate location.
    8. in case the computer don't have any decompression software, you have to repeat all previous steps
    9. if all goes well, find files open and read

2, with usb drive
    1. save files to usb drive. No need to tidy up.
    2. uplug the drive, turn off computer and leave
    3. find some other computer at some other place in the university
    4. log onto the system
    5. plug in the usb drive.
    6. open files and read so long as the formats are compatible. No need for compression software as the files are compressed.

So... Any comments?
    yes I break them, it's my magic way with comptuers. I only work with word documents (as do my supervisors) so it's copy into word, save and attach with hermes. When you get back to your room later and remember you just open the email and get the document. I can't be arsed with a stupid pen thing.

ReputationRep:
    So... Any comments?
    actually, why not just use a rewritable cd? 700mb!

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.