Cambridge Chat (previously New Cambridge Students Entry 2004)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
question: would i probably find it useful to have one of those USB pen-drive whatsits if i'm going to be using uni PCs and the one in my room? or not?
No!! Just email stuff to yourself.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
question: would i probably find it useful to have one of those USB pen-drive whatsits if i'm going to be using uni PCs and the one in my room? or not?
Definitely useful. I'm not going to get one though, until I get my pc down to Cambridge.

Ogre [am I right on the spelling?] ogrise oneself means turn oneself into an ogre.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
good, emailing things is what ive always done before (and i now have gmail! even better) but i heard everyone going on about how they were uber-useful for uni

camford, i still have no idea what you are on about. why do you want to turn yourself into an ogre?
The Albatross
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
ooh i was thinking about getting one of them! how much are they?
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by scarlet ibis)
ooh i was thinking about getting one of them! how much are they?

amazon have a 128mb one for £10 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207 and the 256mb one is £16 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207

i think i'll stick with emailing myself stuff for the time being though.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Emailing is easier,I expect. I have had USB devices before and I always break the USB thingy by mistake. If they're expensive, just email. If not, try one if you so desire but I have NEVER seen anyone doing that. Even supervisors just email themselves. hermes webmail gives you tons of spance anyway.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
camford, i still have no idea what you are on about. why do you want to turn yourself into an ogre?
Yes, you are told correct. Due to the excessive dose of Shrek. *Vicent from Pulp Fiction: I got this chick, she's ODing on me.* You get the idea?
The Albatross
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Emailing is easier,I expect. I have had USB devices before and I always break the USB thingy by mistake. If they're expensive, just email. If not, try one if you so desire but I have NEVER seen anyone doing that. Even supervisors just email themselves. hermes webmail gives you tons of spance anyway.
cool!
talking of email, i can't seem to get on to the gmail login page this evening! - http://gmail.google.com. :eek: does anyone else have this problem?
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Yes, you are told correct. Due to the excessive dose of Shrek. *Vicent from Pulp Fiction: I got this chick, she's ODing on me.* You get the idea?

No, I still have no clue what you're talking about. Do you mean making yourself sound scary?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No.

OOO did you know, cambridge have an online dating website?
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
No.

OOO did you know, cambridge have an online dating website?

hahaha, yes, it's really funny. I think they restricted looking at photos or something to people on the cam domain though, which they didn't do before.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
amazon have a 128mb one for £10 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207 and the 256mb one is £16 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...967639-0706207

i think i'll stick with emailing myself stuff for the time being though.

that's really pricy considering you can get an 80gb hard drive for 80 quid.

MB
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What, driving over someone's lawn and then stabbing adrenaline into someone's chest? :confused:
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

What the **** are you talking about?
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How could break USB Thingy? I can't break it even if I tried to. Wow! USB is more convenient than e-mail attachements. Consider the following 2 separate procedures.

1, Not using usb drive
  1. save files into correct formats, tidy up say into a .zip file
  2. sign into one of your mail inbox
  3. compose, attach and send
  4. leave room and go to computers somewhere else
  5. log onto the system
  6. sign into the other e-mail inbox of yours
  7. read the message download the attachment save it to appropriate location.
  8. in case the computer don't have any decompression software, you have to repeat all previous steps
  9. if all goes well, find files open and read

2, with usb drive
  1. save files to usb drive. No need to tidy up.
  2. uplug the drive, turn off computer and leave
  3. find some other computer at some other place in the university
  4. log onto the system
  5. plug in the usb drive.
  6. open files and read so long as the formats are compatible. No need for compression software as the files are compressed.

So... Any comments?
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
that's really pricy considering you can get an 80gb hard drive for 80 quid.

MB

it's slightly less portable though. but i see what you're saying.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

So... Any comments?
Yes - Wow!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What, driving over someone's lawn and then stabbing adrenaline into someone's chest? :confused:
If he finds it out, I'm a f**king grease spot.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How could break USB Thingy? I can't break it even if I tried to. Wow! USB is more convenient than e-mail attachements. Consider the following 2 separate procedures.

1, Not using usb drive
  1. save files into correct formats, tidy up say into a .zip file
  2. sign into one of your mail inbox
  3. compose, attach and send
  4. leave room and go to computers somewhere else
  5. log onto the system
  6. sign into the other e-mail inbox of yours
  7. read the message download the attachment save it to appropriate location.
  8. in case the computer don't have any decompression software, you have to repeat all previous steps
  9. if all goes well, find files open and read

2, with usb drive
  1. save files to usb drive. No need to tidy up.
  2. uplug the drive, turn off computer and leave
  3. find some other computer at some other place in the university
  4. log onto the system
  5. plug in the usb drive.
  6. open files and read so long as the formats are compatible. No need for compression software as the files are compressed.

So... Any comments?
yes I break them, it's my magic way with comptuers. I only work with word documents (as do my supervisors) so it's copy into word, save and attach with hermes. When you get back to your room later and remember you just open the email and get the document. I can't be arsed with a stupid pen thing.
The Albatross
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So... Any comments?
actually, why not just use a rewritable cd? 700mb!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.73%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (33)
8.51%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (87)
22.42%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (51)
13.14%
No, nothing has changed (117)
30.15%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.04%

Watched Threads