Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I'll try getting a kilt and turning up to Hall in that should I get in .

And in my year at school, there are two Sarah Mackenzies (and a Sarah Macdonald and another Sarah whose surname escapes me), three Pauls, two Daniels, an Amy and an Aimee 2 Lee Dunns, two Graham Macleods (I think they spell them differently but I'm not sure), 4 Jennifers, 2 Islas, 2 Stromas, 5 Jamies (4 of whom I think have surnames beginning with M), (and a Jaime), 2 Sandys (both with same second initial), 3 Rachels of various spelling, at least two Eilidhs, 2 Matthews, and I'm sure there are quite a few more but I'm worn out just thinking about it.
    There's hardly an original name in the school :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I'm sure I'll try getting a kilt and turning up to Hall in that should I get in .

And in my year at school, there are two Sarah Mackenzies (and a Sarah Macdonald and another Sarah whose surname escapes me), three Pauls, two Daniels, an Amy and an Aimee 2 Lee Dunns, two Graham Macleods (I think they spell them differently but I'm not sure), 4 Jennifers, 2 Islas, 2 Stromas, 5 Jamies (4 of whom I think have surnames beginning with M), (and a Jaime), 2 Sandys (both with same second initial), 3 Rachels of various spelling, at least two Eilidhs, 2 Matthews, and I'm sure there are quite a few more but I'm worn out just thinking about it.
    There's hardly an original name in the school :rolleyes:
    lol maybe they should number you instead!!
    ...or is that communism...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe it would just give us an excuse for a good old student uprising {vanishes to read through Les Miserables again}

ReputationRep:
    Hehe it would just give us an excuse for a good old student uprising {vanishes to read through Les Miserables again}
    *sigh* You're going to be 24601 from now on.

ReputationRep:
    YAYAYAYAY! Stuff the revolting I'll take it!

ReputationRep:
    Or just to annoy you, you could be 24602.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a meanie

ReputationRep:
    Or you could always be 666

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    interesting comment, true in most cases, but not at Caius... ahhh... the wonders of turning up in shorts, T-shirt, sandals and gown for formal hall. class. (frequent sight in summer)

how frequently do you use suits? depends on how frequently you go for formal halls, really. on average, expect a couple of times a term.
    Caius?? How much do you know about Caius?? Cos hopefully i'll be going there this october...whats this about formal being t-shirt and shorts :confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Caius?? How much do you know about Caius?? Cos hopefully i'll be going there this october...whats this about formal being t-shirt and shorts :confused:

G
    Seeing as he'll be a 2nd year there, I'd imagine quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Seeing as he'll be a 2nd year there, I'd imagine quite a bit
    Really?! Wow!!!

Whoops...i didn't realise....that's cool. So...Caius formal dinner/hall..whatever it's called..isn't so formal after all.....ok then. Cheers for that!

G

ReputationRep:
    sorry i dont know what's causing the technical error....since you're the only one, i'm not sure what the problem is. Are you behind a firewall?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know exactly how informal king's is? its just that over the the past two years ive accumulated about 4 suits and a DJ (blame my school......"suits only" uniform :rolleyes: ) and dont want all that £££ to have gone for a waste.....

it would be nice to go to an informal place....but id also like to wear my suits once in a while

cheers
    v

ReputationRep:
    I don't think King's has formal hall, it's against their communist principles

Don't worry, you will have plenty of opportunities to wear your suit/dj anyway. You will probably go to formal hall at other colleges countless times, and then there are the May Balls and garden parties. The general rule is that people don't walk around in ANY of the colleges wearing suits for no reason, but every college has its own rule about how "formal" formal hall is. In St John's you just have to wear a gown, but visitors often dress up poshly anyway.

And although I know girls who have claimed to go into Caius formal wearing nothing BUT their gowns, I'm pretty sure this isn't strictly allowed. :rolleyes:

2 Stromas, :
    gotta be funny whenthey do photosynthesis

being all girls, we have even less diversity of names (but no one in our year has the same first and second name as someone else in the year)

we have loads of Katies, Sarahs, Elizabeths and Hannahs. only one Kemi and one Zi tho :rolleyes:

ps. Why are you only a honorary member?*confused*

(Original post by Willa)
    sorry i dont know what's causing the technical error....since you're the only one, i'm not sure what the problem is. Are you behind a firewall?
    i think so

im not very techy tho..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    I don't think King's has formal hall, it's against their communist principles

Don't worry, you will have plenty of opportunities to wear your suit/dj anyway. You will probably go to formal hall at other colleges countless times, and then there are the May Balls and garden parties. The general rule is that people don't walk around in ANY of the colleges wearing suits for no reason, but every college has its own rule about how "formal" formal hall is. In St John's you just have to wear a gown, but visitors often dress up poshly anyway.

And although I know girls who have claimed to go into Caius formal wearing nothing BUT their gowns, I'm pretty sure this isn't strictly allowed. :rolleyes:
    cheers for the info

ive also heard something about the ocassional dinner with you supervisor or DoS. does this actually happen? if so how often? or is this some sorta myth? soz for the interrogation..... :confused:

v

ReputationRep:
    if you're behind a firewall, you need to open ports 6667 to 6700 i believe, that would be why it aint working. If you cant that, you cant chat...sorry!

ReputationRep:
    You have a special dinner once a year with all the fellows and students in your college studying/teaching your subject. It's pretty spectacular - better than formal hall - but also more expensive. And nothing beats listening to drunken speeches

I can't speak for every college, but I think this is probably pretty universal.

EDIT: Did I mention the St John's dinners are held in the world's longest candle-lit room? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    cheers sbailey. what course do you do? (i think i read somewhere on this thread that u are at Caius )

EDIT: soz bout that sbailey.....St. Johns it is

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.