The Student Room Group
Reply 740
That was probably KHL. Although we're both reading medicine. :smile:

EDIT: I'm at St John's College. Middle-of-the road college academically, but very lavish and lots of grants :biggrin:
Reply 741
Do you have to wear your gown even if you're a guest at another college's formal hall?
Reply 742
Minta
Do you have to wear your gown even if you're a guest at another college's formal hall?

Depends on the college. Some, e.g. Caius, I believe, do not allow guests to wear gowns, others have them compulsory (Trinity I think - I wore mine anyway, but rumour has it you have to). Most colleges are more relaxed about visitors because a)you might not be from Cambridge at all, and b) some newer colleges don't use gowns as much, so people might not have them.

sbailey
And although I know girls who have claimed to go into Caius formal wearing nothing BUT their gowns, I'm pretty sure this isn't strictly allowed.

I've heard that too, about certain Clare girls, but I hardly think it can be true. The gowns are open at the front, ffs! (What do John's gowns look like anyway?). And I wanna see this candlelit room! Invite us! :tongue:
sbailey
I don't think King's has formal hall, it's against their communist principles :wink:

They do have it, but it's very rare - maybe two or three times a term I think. And they don't wear gowns. Alas...
Reply 744
Helenia
I've heard that too, about certain Clare girls, but I hardly think it can be true. The gowns are open at the front, ffs!

Well, these girls were from Caius and it wasn't just a rumour, they said that *they* did it the night before. Maybe they were trying to impress me? :confused: :tongue:

Helenia
(What do John's gowns look like anyway?). And I wanna see this candlelit room! Invite us! :tongue:

I would love to invite you, but I don't think I'm able to! Unless we decide to hold a conference and pay for use of the room and the catering staff :tongue:
sbailey

EDIT: Did I mention the St John's dinners are held in the world's longest candle-lit room? :cool:

Pembroke's hall reminds me of Hogwarts!

AND it has the best ever Beard Portraits including a man with a square beard!

BEAT THAT
Reply 746
sbailey
Well, these girls were from Caius and it wasn't just a rumour, they said that *they* did it the night before. Maybe they were trying to impress me? :confused: :tongue:

I would love to invite you, but I don't think I'm able to! Unless we decide to hold a conference and pay for use of the room and the catering staff :tongue:

Hmmm...interesting. Can't say it's something I'm planning on doing any time soon. Far too easy for things to go horribly wrong :eek:

Oh, so you have your dinners in a different hall from your formals? Or are you just trying to get out of a formal swap? :tongue:
Reply 747
Our dinners are in the SCR (the long candle-lit room). You can see our formal hall whenever you want :smile:
Reply 748
Helenia
Hmmm...interesting. Can't say it's something I'm planning on doing any time soon. Far too easy for things to go horribly wrong :eek:

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

And take pics. :wink:
Reply 749
crana
Pembroke's hall reminds me of Hogwarts!

Really? Christ Church, Oxford's hall reminds me of Hogwarts. :wink:
Reply 750
Who wants a hall that looks like Hogwarts anyway??

EDIT: The square beard fixation I can understand tho.
Squishy
Really? Christ Church, Oxford's hall reminds me of Hogwarts. :wink:

to #be honest most of cambridge reminds me of hogwarts.

if/when i have my first supervision i will probably expect the teacher person to have a pointy hat and wand

and the chemistry lecturers to look like professor snape

(my chemistry teacher looks JUST LIKE professor mcgonagall. scary, i know)
Reply 752
sbailey
Who want's a hall that looks like Hogwarts anyway??

I don't particularly care to be honest. My school had loads of Victorian architecture, which I suppose didn't look bad, but I spent more time wondering how much it must cost to maintain than admiring it. Architecture doesn't bother me as long as it's practical.

crana
(my chemistry teacher looks JUST LIKE professor mcgonagall. scary, i know)

Hmm, does she have the same accent?
Reply 753
sbailey
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

And take pics. :wink:

No, I think I will not be taking pictures of that, even though it's never going to happen anyway! :eek: I'd be far, far too shy.

And thank you :smile:

I've never seen our SCR, just the fellows coming out to glare at us over the balcony if we start being too noisy in formal after they've left :biggrin:

Clare isn't really very Hogwartsy. I remember walking through a cloister-type walkway in either John's or Trinity (sorry, it was 3 years ago :redface:) and thinking it was very Hogwarts though :biggrin:
sbailey
Who wants a hall that looks like Hogwarts anyway??

EDIT: The square beard fixation I can understand tho.

it's better than looking like a shoebox painted the colour of vomit a la our old dining hall at school.

yes. the beards are amazing. i htink i may have mentioned that as a factor in my interview for why I chose pembroke. cant remember. (my interview was a bit silly)
Reply 755
If they can throw a can of baked beans at you in interview, then we can talk about square beards.
sbailey
If they can throw a can of baked beans at you in interview, then we can talk about square beards.

i think i o nly got an offer because i showed lots of enthusiasm for darwin. one of my interviewers seemed to like darwin an awful lot.
Reply 757
sbailey

They did that to some of my friends! I was quite disappointed, mine was very normal :rolleyes:
sbailey

im getting a really strange song in my head thanks to you.

it's along the lines of How many cans can a canny interviewer throw if a canny interviewer can throw cans
Reply 759
In reply to Crana:

Enthusiasm goes a long way, especially when everyone is equally qualified. I would have thought that mirroring your interviewer's interests mattered more for the arts than the sciences, though, but I guess it can play a part. Just how much did this interviewer like Darwin? Did he carry a picture of him in a locket or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending