The Student Room Group
fishpaste

who's going to today's freshers fair?

Yep, I'll be there later on, on the Marrow stall this evening, and on the CUSAGC stand in the morning, so come and say hello! But please don't scare other people.

I agree with Alaric re. Freshers' week, though it is a little embarassing when the kiddies wave at me and say hi to me, and I'm like "Errr, hi...erm...bob?"
Reply 7621
Well done on the toast thing! You have major intestinal fortitude mon ami.
How archaic that they actually have to do that anyway. I assume you know of the fun that happened at the Scottish Parliament when they tried to get everyone to swear an oath to the queen? :biggrin:

I hope you all have fun tomorrow :smile: One of you who has my mobile number text me while you're there and let me know how it's going :biggrin:
Hey guys. Suppose i better do my Fresher's week check-in. I'm havin quite a good time, you might have spotted me last night on a pub crawl wearing a bandana and having Girton colours drawn on my cheeks (face, just so you know). I spotted Jacob this morning and rudely went and said hello while he was on the phone, ah that's just me for you. Anyhoo, i feel terminally tired and i also went to the Fresher's Fair today, i was the guy wandering round looking vague and confused, i also signed up to the Gilbert and Sulivan Society, i'm so proud. Oh well, i'm gonna spend the next 2 hours reading some of the stuff i brought back from the fresher's fair so later peeps.
I just came back from the bloody over bloody crowded bloody bloody horriable bloody fair. I never bothered to sign up with anyone due to the massive size of the bloody rediculous queue. I'm not going to bother with any of them societies that's there except for Chess.

Visesh, if you are reading this, Rosie wants to know the recipe for the potato curry you've mensioned to her. She went out and bought corriander, chilli and potatoes today. But the only thing that's missing is your bloody recipe. And she's been trying to phone you for days. She left you a voice mail a text. Where the hell on earth were you?

I got some cheap wine from Sainsbury's. Will try not to drink all of them really fast.
Camford
I'm not going to bother with any of them societies that's there except for Chess.

Did you see my name on the chess thing upstairs?

BTW-tell Rosie to text me and I'll phone her back about the Passoa. If she doesn't soon I'll feel obliged to crack open one of her bottles! :wink:
Reply 7625
Camford

Visesh, if you are reading this, Rosie wants to know the recipe for the potato curry you've mensioned to her. She went out and bought corriander, chilli and potatoes today. But the only thing that's missing is your bloody recipe. And she's been trying to phone you for days. She left you a voice mail a text. Where the hell on earth were you?

I got some cheap wine from Sainsbury's. Will try not to drink all of them really fast.

Camford, tell Rosie that I told her that my phone doesn't work in the US (that's where I am at the moment) because Three are a bunch of tossers.

Regarding the curry: she needs some turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, corriander powder, perhaps some cumin powder, mustard seeds, dried red chillis (white) lentil [don't know what it is called in English :redface: but she knows what it looks like], cumin, onions, potatoes.

Add 2 - 3 tblspoons of cooking oil to a frying pan and heat. Add the cumin, crushed dried red chillis, and lentil. Once the lentil browns slightly, add the mustard seeds. Wait for the mustard seeds to start popping (warning, if this was a chemistry practical, goggles would be mandatory:wink:).

The add 1-2 finely chopped medium sized onions, and then add 2 -3 large potatoes, washed and cubed (1 - 4 cm^3) chunks but not peeled. coat the veggies in oil, and heat for a few minutes. then add 1/3 teaspoon of turmeric, and 2-3 teaspoons each of all the other powders. Also add "A chef's measure" of salt (i.e. to taste....I never actually measure it out) and stir ocassionally, and close the lid (if you dont want it to crispen [Rosie doesn't like it crisp]) on high heat.

Garnish with roughly chopped corriander leaves. Perhaps some curry leaves too if you can find them (add the curry leaves to the initial frying mix with the lentils and cumin etc)

BTW- How is she planning to make this, without a frying pan?

Visesh

PS: Don't try this at home, I am sure I am missing something vital... :rolleyes:
Pol, hope you got my email and have noticed my sig :biggrin:
I see your light is green Daniel.. (i.e. I guess you are on-line you talented *******...)

Funny to think you are on the other side of this wall I'm staring at (unless you are in one of Girton's wonderful comp rooms! :rolleyes: )
NDGAARONDI
Pol, hope you got my email and have noticed my sig :biggrin:

Not got the email man but I see the sig... That'll change this year! I've signed up for GAA (that won't help us, obviously, but we have some great players. From Girton, as it happens! :smile: )
polthegael
Did you see my name on the chess thing upstairs?

BTW-tell Rosie to text me and I'll phone her back about the Passoa. If she doesn't soon I'll feel obliged to crack open one of her bottles! :wink:

No pol. I never even bothered to get into the building. I got there late and the queue was already 200 miles long. Apparently, I thought the end of the queue has got to southern California, the long way round. Anyway, I'm not going to visit the store tomorrow either. If you are kind enough to want to beat me in chess, then please let me know the ways I can get signed up via other methods. Cheers.

Regarding the txt, I'll let her know. Her internet access is still waiting to be configured and apparently, there's a lot of freshers with computers. There, that's another queue ended up in southern California, the long way round.
Did you all get accosted by dudes trying to get you to join the Brits? I just told each one of them that I am Irish, fundamentally disagree with the British Government and am not the greatest of their army.
polthegael
Not got the email man but I see the sig..

Ah should have used the PM on this site :smile: I sent an attachment (pdf file) which showed the result.

polthegael
That'll change this year! I've signed up for GAA (that won't help us, obviously, but we have some great players. From Girton, as it happens! :smile: )

We'll have to wait and see won't we? :tongue: I wondered if you would sign up or not. Do many people sign up you know and do you have to have x amount of years experience?

I can't see myself playing unless they need places to fill :biggrin:
Reply 7632
Camford
No pol. I never even bothered to get into the building. I got there late and the queue was already 200 miles long. Apparently, I thought the end of the queue has got to southern California, the long way round. Anyway, I'm not going to visit the store tomorrow either. If you are kind enough to want to beat me in chess, then please let me know the ways I can get signed up via other methods. Cheers.

Regarding the txt, I'll let her know. Her internet access is still waiting to be configured and apparently, there's a lot of freshers with computers. There, that's another queue ended up in southern California, the long way round.

I can't see any queues here :smile: .
visesh
Camford, tell Rosie that I told her that my phone doesn't work in the US (that's where I am at the moment) because Three are a bunch of tossers.

PS: Don't try this at home, I am sure I am missing something vital... :rolleyes:

OK V, I'll tell her that before it's too late, i.e. she'll stab you to death when she sees you next year. I think she's been drinking too little. But anyway... I'll let rosie know that the recipe is here and I'll tell to try this at college (not home). But, I'll get really cross with you, V, if the alarm goes off at any time during the cooking process.
Camford

Camford.. Go to www.srcf.ucam.org/chess or email Simon Williams at [email protected]

There was a sneaky way in (go straight ahead to where they had opened the door right in front of you (looks like it's to car park or something). Go upstairs and you are in!

Watch out for chess dudes. All seem to have grades above 180! :eek: (not me though!)
visesh
I can't see any queues here :smile: .

V, You are a heartless bastard just like those Americans you are mixing with. :mad: I got 2 or 3 exchange students living in my staircase. They seem very very very nice people.
Reply 7636
Hehe between you and Jacob, you'll rule the political scene :biggrin:
Reply 7637
Camford
OK V, I'll tell her that before it's too late, i.e. she'll stab you to death when she sees you next year. I think she's been drinking too little. But anyway... I'll let rosie know that the recipe is here and I'll tell to try this at college (not home). But, I'll get really cross with you, V, if the alarm goes off at any time during the cooking process.

She is a lightweight....and almost teetotals. Can't mix pills with alcohol:wink:. Plus, she is nothing without her corriander:smile:.

camford
V, You are a heartless bastard just like those Americans you are mixing with.

Well there IS for the computers here, but I shall not leave. I agree with teh heartless bastard comment, but I DID meet this fiiiiine undergraduate. I am marking her surveys:wink:.
polthegael
Camford.. Go to www.srcf.ucam.org/chess or email Simon Williams at [email protected]

There was a sneaky way in (go straight ahead to where they had opened the door right in front of you (looks like it's to car park or something). Go upstairs and you are in!

Watch out for chess dudes. All seem to have grades above 180! :eek: (not me though!)

You kidding me Pol. Simon's a Pembrokian. Well, I'll drop him an e-mail later when I find my UCAS number. Thanks for the info, but that's not enough to get me to the fair.
Reply 7639
Helen, what is all this talk about Marrows? I have random pictures and videos with Rosie, her sister and me with a marrow. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending