Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They did that to some of my friends! I was quite disappointed, mine was very normal :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I think that's where I heard about it from, from one of your posts. Mine was very ordinary too, although some people were given worse interviews. It depends on who you get.

(Original post by sbailey)
    Enthusiasm goes a long way, especially when everyone is equally qualified. I would have thought that mirroring your interviewer's interests mattered more for the arts than the sciences, though, but I guess it can play a part. Just how much did this interviewer like Darwin? Did he carry a picture of him in a locket or something?

just his eyes lit up and he got darwin into every sentence.. questions included "If darwin walked in the room now, what would you want to say to him?" (was tempted to say - aiiiiiiiiii! a ghost!), lots about darwin's finches.. and the strange question "if you were stranded on a desert island and you weren't allowed to do biochemistry what would you do?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    just his eyes lit up and he got darwin into every sentence.. questions included "If darwin walked in the room now, what would you want to say to him?" (was tempted to say - aiiiiiiiiii! a ghost!), lots about darwin's finches.. and the strange question "if you were stranded on a desert island and you weren't allowed to do biochemistry what would you do?"
    LOL, you should have done that! I laughed out loud when I read that!

That's a hard question. Personally I would catch a fish and barbecue it... What else are you going to do?

ReputationRep:

That's a hard question. Personally I would catch a fish and barbecue it... What else are you going to do?
    I would find the secret rum stores, lie on the beach and sing pirate songs (a la PotC!)

he wanted me (we got there eventually, i was a bit confused) to talk about how i would ecologically investigate the behaviour of tropical bower birds.

even this was linked to darwin

he talked about the finches etc and then gave me a picture of a bird and said talk about it

and all i could think of to say was "errm there is a bird..." and he said "do you know what kind of bird it is?" and i thought aha! I know this game..."A finch!"

no, actually, it's a pacific bower bird...

hehe

I would find the secret rum stores, lie on the beach and sing pirate songs (a la PotC!)
    I was thinking surely if you were stranded on a desert island (he stipulated also I wasn't allowed to build my own laboratory) doing biochemical experiments other than investigating "Can I eat this?" would really not be my top priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    he wanted me (we got there eventually, i was a bit confused) to talk about how i would ecologically investigate the behaviour of tropical bower birds.

even this was linked to darwin

he talked about the finches etc and then gave me a picture of a bird and said talk about it

and all i could think of to say was "errm there is a bird..." and he said "do you know what kind of bird it is?" and i thought aha! I know this game..."A finch!"

no, actually, it's a pacific bower bird...

hehe
    He sounds like he'll be a fun supervisor, even if he turns everything into a discussion about Darwin! One of our college's anatomy supervisors brings everything back to embryology (and not even the embryology that is on the course). :confused: My supervisor was a little more down-to-earth, although I think I would have enjoyed the other supervisions more. Random discussions are so much better.

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, my anatomy supervisor (being a retired surgeon) had many stories and anecdotes from his days when he was a junior doctor, mostly involving promiscuous nurses. It never came up in our exams either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Clare isn't really very Hogwartsy. I remember walking through a cloister-type walkway in either John's or Trinity (sorry, it was 3 years ago ) and thinking it was very Hogwarts though
    I bet it was John's just after you go over the Bridge of Sighs!! It's a dead ringer for Hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I bet it was John's just after you go over the Bridge of Sighs!! It's a dead ringer for Hogwarts.
    Yeah, we love telling people that... works every time!

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like he'll be a fun supervisor, even if he turns everything into a discussion about Darwin! One of our college's anatomy supervisors brings everything back to embryology (and not even the embryology that is on the course). :confused: My supervisor was a little more down-to-earth, although I think I would have enjoyed the other supervisions more. Random discussions are so much better.
    My physiology supervisor used to go on for ages about evil experiments they'd done on various animals... One that sticks in my mind involved decerebrating a duck... apparently it could still function (poor little thing). What an evil man he was (fascinating though)

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, my anatomy supervisor (being a retired surgeon) had many stories and anecdotes from his days when he was a junior doctor, mostly involving promiscuous nurses. It never came up in our exams either :rolleyes:
    Oooh, was it one of the demonstrators?

And I'm really horrified that you never got the chance to write about slutty nurses in your tripos paper :rolleyes:

My anatomy supervisor was a vet :eek:

My physiology supervisor used to go on for ages about evil experiments they'd done on various animals... One that sticks in my mind involved decerebrating a duck... apparently it could still function (poor little thing). What an evil man he was (fascinating though)
    i think i remember you saying about that.. didnt the duck keep trying to dive into the floor and stuff?

I think I'm more likely to have my more serious interviewer as a supervisor though because the other guy said he was an ecologist really... so mayb ehe does evolution & behaviour?.. and my other guy was a biochemist through & through

i may have really misunderstood the system though!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, was it one of the demonstrators?

And I'm really horrified that you never got the chance to write about slutty nurses in your tripos paper :rolleyes:

My anatomy supervisor was a vet :eek:
    Yes he was one of the demonstrators, although the last thing I want is for him to type his name into Google and find this web page. I may have him next year for neuro! You can take from the fact that he was retired that he wasn't one of the young ones.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the things we've done to frogs... poor helpless things. Then again, maybe it's their fault for having skin on their legs that can be removed like stockings...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i think i remember you saying about that.. didnt the duck keep trying to dive into the floor and stuff?

I think I'm more likely to have my more serious interviewer as a supervisor though because the other guy said he was an ecologist really... so mayb ehe does evolution & behaviour?.. and my other guy was a biochemist through & through

i may have really misunderstood the system though!
    You might have other supervisors from your interviewers; most of mine were grad students. You'll have four supervisions a week (one for each bit of NatSci) and you won't necessarily have the same supervisor all year for each bit, so you'll meet a lot of clever people The ecologist *might* do E&B but really I'd guess he's more likely to supervise later in the course - there's a 1B ecology option I think. The biochemist, you might well have for cells And yeah, the thing about the duck is right - sorry, I seem to have developed a duck obsession

ReputationRep:
    Oh the things we've done to frogs... poor helpless things. Then again, maybe it's their fault for having skin on their legs that can be removed like stockings...
    Nooooo! Don't remind me of all that again! :eek:

And one of the boys I was working with got all squeamish and made me do it :mad: (I got my revenge when we did the cycling one )

ReputationRep:
    Oh the things we've done to frogs... poor helpless things. Then again, maybe it's their fault for having skin on their legs that can be removed like stockings...)

And one of the boys I was working with got all squeamish and made me do it :mad: (I got my revenge when we did the cycling one )
    With every posts from a Cambridge medic I read, my conviction that I must never get ill in Tabsville grows stronger.

ReputationRep:

Those physiology experiments were such a pain! If something can go wrong, it will... and not only that, but something you hadn't predicted could go wrong will also go wrong.... and to top it off, you find out you shifted EPIC's scale too much and can't interpret your results anyway. And oooh look, isn't it time for your supervision?!

Sorry if I sound bitter.

ReputationRep:
    Those physiology experiments were such a pain! If something can go wrong, it will... and not only that, but something you hadn't predicted could go wrong will also go wrong.... and to top it off, you find out you shifted EPIC's scale too much and can't interpret your results anyway. And oooh look, isn't it time for your supervision?!

Sorry if I sound bitter.
    I think I've given H&E another reason not to get ill in "Tabsville"...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.