The Student Room Group
Reply 60
polthegael
I don't know when Girtonians are supposed to go up...

Did you get a train last time? I went past platform 9.75 at King's Cross to get to platform 12 or whatever it was to get up to Cambridge :smile:

:biggrin: yeah - so cool! (tourist)
I think it was just a passing comment which came with the reading list. Which reminds me, could helenia or any physnatsci's give me a rough idea of the cost of the books needed for the first year? specific titles arent necessary (sp?) but just a round sum would be GREAT! :smile:
Reply 61
polthegael
But Girton has a swimming pool in the living accomodation free to use and open till 8 in the evening! :smile:

I heard that was one of the amenities. :smile: But like KHL was saying, it was too far out for my liking. :wink: So was Churchill...

Well, I'm happy to be male. :wink: My name's Si by the way (if you wanted to add it to the first post).

Apparently first-year Physics isn't a laugh. I was just looking at what's on the course, and I agree. I'm going to be spending most of my time on that, even though I'm planning on doing computer science at the end.

Speaking of Harry Potter, when I went to my interview by train, I saw a sign for "Platform 9 3/4" at King's Cross. :biggrin: I think I must have been the only person that tried to walk through it.
Stop worrying about your spelling! Join the crowd and don't care!!! I must admit I've never come across a Pompey person worried about spelling before :smile: You must be from someplace posh!
Reply 63
Squishy

Speaking of Harry Potter, when I went to my interview by train, I saw a sign for "Platform 9 3/4" at King's Cross. :biggrin: I think I must have been the only person that tried to walk through it.

tee hee! actually you know someone will eventually sue national rail because their kid walks into the wall and knocks themselves out.
Reply 64
polthegael
Stop worrying about your spelling! Join the crowd and don't care!!! I must admit I've never come across a Pompey person worried about spelling before :smile: You must be from someplace posh!

sorry. habit :smile:

And there are lots of posh peeps on this forum so i try to fit in :wink:
Reply 65
Fluffstar
I think it was just a passing comment which came with the reading list. Which reminds me, could helenia or any physnatsci's give me a rough idea of the cost of the books needed for the first year? specific titles arent necessary (sp?) but just a round sum would be GREAT! :smile:

I think college libraries have a copy of most of the books you need. I'm certainly not buying any...textbooks are rarely cheap (the CompSci books they want me to get are mostly £20+ first-hand), and I get most of my info off the Internet anyway.

Well, someone apparently tried to get off a murder charge by saying, "I thought I was in the Matrix at the time", so it wouldn't surprise me if King's Cross did get sued. :rolleyes:

I'm not posh...my friends stuck toffee on my nose. :smile:
Reply 66
<grin> yeah i know 'twas a very generalised comment. apologies all :smile:
Reply 67
Eh...I went to a school with some stuck-up kids. One person described himself in the yearbook as a "posh young fogey". *shakes head*
Reply 68
Fluffstar

I spent about £90, on a grand total of 3 books. :eek: They are very expensive, but you don't actually have to buy that many, your college library will have multiple copies of all the important ones. You might want to get a few absolutely core ones (e.g. VVP is a must for all medics) but don't worry too much about getting everything, just use the library.
But Fluffy is not going to be doing medicine! Did you get in touch with Petra on other site? Do you even know her? She's 26 (a year younger than me... Bitch!)
Reply 70
polthegael
But Fluffy is not going to be doing medicine! Did you get in touch with Petra on other site? Do you even know her? She's 26 (a year younger than me... Bitch!)

I haven't been there yet, have been busy today. I think I know who she is, but don't know her.
Reply 71
Fluffstar

Riley, Hobson and Bence - Maths textbook - £20 from CUP with discount iirc. You'll probably want this one, even if only as a hefty doorstop.
One of the recommended physics texts was 35, but another was a touch less I think, I got the 35 pound one for a tenner so that wasn't too bad.

So I'd say to budget around 50-100, as you might like some others for the other natsci subjects but you should only really need one for the maths and one for the physics.

Galloway and Porter (next to Sidney) is good for cheap academic texts, and goes part way to how I spent over 200 on books last year. :rolleyes:. Heffers, Borders etc will probably do a sale about two weeks in if the last two years is anything to go by, don't forget your 20% discount at the CUP shop and that Amazon is really cheap and you should be fine for getting books. Wait till the lecturers recommend books too, some on the reading lists are prefered to others.

Alaric.
Reply 72
seriously speaking, it really depends on your studying style... the general cambridge populace depends on 1 or 2 "papa" texts that cover the entire syllabus in one hefty, heart-stopping, pocket-burning, toe-injuring volume.

for medics, this translates into VVP or Stryer (and Alberts), Berne+Levy or Guyton or Ganong, and a few other anatomy texts (Snell's or Last's or Moore+Daley with McMinn's, or that crap one they were peddling).

for physiology, i've touched my "papa" berne+levy ONCE in the entire year. what a waste of 35 pounds. i prefer monographs - better presentation and sequence, more details, more portable, and generally cheaper (though not if you take the combined price of all the monographs you need, but then again, i raided my college library and got about 3/4 of all the monographs at one shot... :biggrin: :biggrin: )

and there will always be that monster text that you will not "need" to have, but will have felt good having ever used it before. medics, Gray's anyone? apparently there are a few more next year like that...

oh, and in case it wasn't clear from alaric's post, all cambridge students get 20% off books from CUP upon presentation of uni card. so don't buy anything from CUP until you get your card!
Reply 73
and i'm not sure how everyone else studies, but i find that for most subjects, the notes they give us contain everything we need to know for the exams, and that reading a textbook is just for getting a different perspective or method of presentation of the content that is already covered in the notes.

though admittedly, there are good notes and bad notes...

you might want to start checking out online resources too, can be quite interesting, if irrelevant reads occasionally, the science journal websites. (all free access, so don't pay for anything!)
Reply 74
:smile: thanks for the info everyone....better go and get me a job then hadnt i...:wink:
Hi, I'm sure I've posted this before but anyway,

My name is Jacob and i'll hopefully be studying music at Robinson in october.

MB
Reply 76
'Lo Jacob. Theres quite a few ppl on this thread either at/going to Robinson. You'll not be too far away from me then. You know, i wish i'd chosen arts because the sidgwick site's just across the road...i could have rolled out of bed into lectures...:smile:
Fluffstar
'Lo Jacob. Theres quite a few ppl on this thread either at/going to Robinson. You'll not be too far away from me then. You know, i wish i'd chosen arts because the sidgwick site's just across the road...i could have rolled out of bed into lectures...:smile:

not that many. Over the last few months there have been some - There was a guy called "philo" who was around a while back. As for college choice I was pooled. I originally applied to selwyn (where there were 30 applicants for two musicc places this year). I had a horrible interview where the interviewer wouldn't let me talk about my interests but also had a fun general interview with a really nice history prof. I then had two interviews at Robinson and two at Girton. Of the two I preferred Robinson and got a place (Yay). I really hope I get the grades. My twin brother also has an offer from Cambridge to read history at jesus.

MB
Reply 78
identical or non identical twins!?
Fluffstar
:smile: thanks for the info everyone....better go and get me a job then hadnt i...:wink:

I'm sooooo lucky! I get a mature student scholarship thing of £2000, all my accomodation/college fees paid for three years (at least..., doing medicine! :frown:)

Latest

Trending

Trending