The Student Room Group
or pieman?:biggrin:
Reply 801
KHL
how about this one... the rabbit gut experiment? my partner did not turn up. i did the entire experiment ALONE. thank goodness my results were quite okay... and i usually work with 2 girls... guess who's guinea pig extraordinaire? :rolleyes:

but i like MIMS practs! dunno why i do, but i do!

oh, anita and next year? why, simple, of course... PATHOHISTOLOGY. if you thought identifying blobs in a microscope this year was bad, next year you need to identify MISSHAPEN blobs, which implies that you knew what they were supposed to look like in the first place :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :frown:

oh, if H&E ever gets ill over here, she'd be pleased to know that i've heard of medics ripping a heart out from a cadaver with bare hands (look ma, no scalpels!) during a dissection, and killing a piece of rabbit gut 5 times over the course of an experiment where it wasn't supposed to die at all... and cutting a frog open from the wrong side (belly up instead of back up)... and cutting off the patella of a frog when we were supposed to leave it (personal experience :frown: :rolleyes: )... any others steve & helen?

Actually, I usually did my fair share of the experiments (I was in a group with 2 boys), except for the cycling one, when I was suddenly feeling unnaccountably weak and faint and "oh yes, I think you need to stand just there so I can lean on you while we watch him do his cycling :wink:"

We managed to break our cadaver's arm on the first day of dissection :redface: Poor Betty.
Reply 802
my group cut the oesophagus out along with the heart, and was wondering for half a dissection where it had gone, until a helpful and somewhat bemused demonstrator turned up... :rolleyes:
Reply 803
gzftan

In response to why Acaila is an Honorary member.....she's applying this year for cambridge so she can't be an actual member, but we like having her here...so she's an honorary member :smile:

G

:redface: Awww I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now {hugs G}. Well if I get to be an honorary member, you must be made an honorary Hug Whore then! :smile:

Also, I don't think I want to get so much as Fresher's Flu in Cambridge after this :eek:
yay! i found my reading list online!i hope i'll need it! there are 4 books that i will be expected to have read by october - aargh and they're all really huge and expensive!:biggrin::eek:
Reply 805
Hi all!
I have an offer to read Arch & Anth at Newnham, grades permitting though! Not really sure what else to include...
scarlet ibis
yay! i found my reading list online!i hope i'll need it! there are 4 books that i will be expected to have read by october - aargh and they're all really huge and expensive!:biggrin::eek:

my list at least really stressed not to buy thebooks on the list..

easier said than done, but try getting them off the library if they are really expensive.

Your library can (for a fee - £1.60 or so i think?) get hold of virtually any book from the British Library for you to borrow, if none of the other libraries have it - or you may be lucky like me and find that your council buys the books for yoru library! :biggrin:

also you can put saved searches on on Ebay and Amazon marketplace so if someone is selling something 2nd hand it can email you & tell you

Another idea is to visit your local uni if you have one, ring first and ask if you can use the library just to read in not to take books out of, quite often they will say yes, and then you can go and read the books there...

I got one of the books on my list for £7 from ebay - should cost ~ £100.

rosie
Katie J
Hi all!
I have an offer to read Arch & Anth at Newnham, grades permitting though! Not really sure what else to include...

hiya
where are you from? & do you have a piccy of yourself for the thread (roll of wallpaper/light sabre optional)
Reply 808
Katie J
Hi all!

WOOO!!! another newnham gurlie!!! :smile:
heya i'm kathy and i'll be doing natsci hopefully :biggrin:
where you hail from katie?
Reply 809
Fluffstar
WOOO!!! another newnham gurlie!!! :smile:
heya i'm kathy and i'll be doing natsci hopefully :biggrin:

yay and I'll be a Newnhamite too!! We should all meet for a drink in the bar (though I had a look at it last sat and it looks a little dreary. According to one of the students it's not the most frequented of college bars...
Reply 810
hellooo i am a hopeful sidneyite- gzftan you didn't add me to your list (shame on you) yet you pm'd me about the thread? :confused: anyhoo i am an MML girl....faboba is a sidneyite too, i dunno if he's already found his way onto here, i haven't read the last 20 pages of the thread (couldn't be bothered, cpu is being slow!)
Reply 811
gzftan
Lol....go for it:tongue:.

What about you...do you prefer Simon or just squishy??

G

scarlet ibis
or pieman?:biggrin:

I really don't mind. As long as it's not too abusive...
Reply 812
visesh
does anyone know exactly how informal king's is? its just that over the the past two years ive accumulated about 4 suits and a DJ (blame my school......"suits only" uniform :rolleyes: ) and dont want all that £££ to have gone for a waste.....

it would be nice to go to an informal place....but id also like to wear my suits once in a while :wink: :redface:

cheers
v

i'm at kings, so i shall clear up the king's formal hall situation (if anyone still cares) once and for all. formal halls are once a week, although there was talk of them being made more frequent. there is no dress code although the everyone dress up anyway - its usually an affair of a suit and tie (but no gown, of course). wearing a gown would probably make you stand out a bit, but the fellows mostly do and a few kings students insist on doing it, so noone really pays any attention.

as for whether guests are invited or not, about half of the eight formals are called "formal hall" while the other half are called "guest nights". officially i think outsiders arent allowed at the former, but ticket aquisition isnt very organised in kings and so anyone can go and the two are thus basically the same. the only difference ive noticed is at the formal halls they seem to say grace (as most other colleges do at formals) whereas at the guest nights they dont seem to. so anyway that was perhaps the most useless post ever, thank you and goodnight.
ot209
i'm at kings, so i shall clear up the king's formal hall situation (if anyone still cares) once and for all. formal halls are once a week, although there was talk of them being made more frequent. there is no dress code although the everyone dress up anyway - its usually an affair of a suit and tie (but no gown, of course). wearing a gown would probably make you stand out a bit, but the fellows mostly do and a few kings students insist on doing it, so noone really pays any attention.

as for whether guests are invited or not, about half of the eight formals are called "formal hall" while the other half are called "guest nights". officially i think outsiders arent allowed at the former, but ticket aquisition isnt very organised in kings and so anyone can go and the two are thus basically the same. the only difference ive noticed is at the formal halls they seem to say grace (as most other colleges do at formals) whereas at the guest nights they dont seem to. so anyway that was perhaps the most useless post ever, thank you and goodnight.

Useless?! Very informative actually, cheers :biggrin:
crana
my list at least really stressed not to buy thebooks on the list..

easier said than done, but try getting them off the library if they are really expensive.

Your library can (for a fee - £1.60 or so i think?) get hold of virtually any book from the British Library for you to borrow, if none of the other libraries have it - or you may be lucky like me and find that your council buys the books for yoru library! :biggrin:

also you can put saved searches on on Ebay and Amazon marketplace so if someone is selling something 2nd hand it can email you & tell you

Another idea is to visit your local uni if you have one, ring first and ask if you can use the library just to read in not to take books out of, quite often they will say yes, and then you can go and read the books there...

I got one of the books on my list for £7 from ebay - should cost ~ £100.

rosie

i found three the four essential ones second hand on amazon. all loads cheaper than they would be in the shops - and i realised that i already had one of them, The Story of Art by E. Gombrich - so i'm happy. ther are about 20 others that 'may be useful for further reading' so i'll get them out of the library if i have time to read them! how many books are on everyone else's reading lists?
scarlet ibis
i found three the four essential ones second hand on amazon. all loads cheaper than they would be in the shops - and i realised that i already had one of them, The Story of Art by E. Gombrich - so i'm happy. ther are about 20 others that 'may be useful for further reading' so i'll get them out of the library if i have time to read them! how many books are on everyone else's reading lists?

mine has 7 for biology of cells, 2 for chemistry, 4 for physiology and 2 for QB.
Reply 816
scarlet ibis

i have 5 for material and mineral science, 6 for geology and 4 for physics (reading about physics :frown:) Maths is just practise. what fun.
i looked at my reading list properly and i have 4 essential books and 24:eek: further reading books! at least there are only four i have to read!

i'm going on holiday tomorrow:biggrin: to cornwall:biggrin: for a week:biggrin: Sun! Sea! Sailing!
so i wont be around! it'll be the longest time i've ever spent away from ukl! how will i cope?!:eek:
i might b on mIRC later, but otherwise, ill talk to you all in a week's time!
Reply 818
scarlet ibis
i looked at my reading list properly and i have 4 essential books and 24:eek: further reading books! at least there are only four i have to read!

i'm going on holiday tomorrow:biggrin: to cornwall:biggrin: for a week:biggrin: Sun! Sea! Sailing!
so i wont be around! it'll be the longest time i've ever spent away from ukl! how will i cope?!:eek:
i might b on mIRC later, but otherwise, ill talk to you all in a week's time!

:biggrin: have a great time scarlet!! when you get back its...(drumroll)...a month and 2 days till results day! :biggrin: happy thoughts...happy thoughts....
Reply 819
crana
hiya
where are you from? & do you have a piccy of yourself for the thread (roll of wallpaper/light sabre optional)

Naelse
WOOO!!! another newnham gurlie!!!
heya i'm kathy and i'll be doing natsci hopefully

Heya,
I'm from sunny (!) Wales, in the South Eastern Valley of Torfaen. It's not the best place to live...
Sorry no picture of me (I'll spare your eyes) not that I'd know how to show it/link to it anyway! I'm not too confident of making my offer but still excited at even the slighted chance that I might! I'm pretty crazy about Archaeology and the Cambridge course seems pretty fantastic, but then I'd be extremely happy to be studying it anywhere! You seem like a friendly bunch, which is good to know! :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending