Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platinumki)
    Histones are the proteins DNA is wrapped around (in eukatyotes.) It's made with all its other protein friends by ribosomes in the cytoplasm.
    thanks (i do know what histones are..id be worried if I didn't seeing as I'm doing a degree in biology).. but i was wondering if any proteins were synthesised within the nucleus.

for example we were told it was thought that the nucleolus is the site of ribosome manufacture. are the protein subunits brought in from the cytoplasm and merely assembled wth the RNA components? or is the whole thing made there?...or does no one know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    thanks (i do know what histones are..id be worried if I didn't seeing as I'm doing a degree in biology).. but i was wondering if any proteins were synthesised within the nucleus.

for example we were told it was thought that the nucleolus is the site of ribosome manufacture. are the protein subunits brought in from the cytoplasm and merely assembled wth the RNA components? or is the whole thing made there?...or does no one know...
    Well, I'm just a daft wee lassie but accprding to pages 984-985 of Molecular and Cell Biology by Stephen L. Wolfe, they are definitely formed outwith the nucleus. I can't be bothered copying it all but

Fully processed mRNAs for all five histone types begin to appear in the cyptoplasm as soon as S begins. These mRNAs are immediately translated to form the histone proteins. The newly assembled histones are subsequently routed into the nucleus for assembly with the DNA into nucleosomes.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm just a daft wee lassie but accprding to pages 984-985 of Molecular and Cell Biology by Stephen L. Wolfe, they are definitely formed outwith the nucleus. I can't be bothered copying it all but

oho, very helpful, thanks. any ideas on ribosomes themselves?

ReputationRep:
    oho, very helpful, thanks. any ideas on ribosomes themselves?
    Em... well.... I looked up ribosomes at the back of the book, saw that pretty much that was what the book was about and then thought "Wait a minute, you are looking stuff up for a Cambridge student. Bloody hell, the hardest part really is getting in." I would recommend you take a look at a copy of the book - mine is out of date anyway as I had to buy mine in a sale rather than just looking at one in one of how many libraries? :rolleyes:

According to my another book - argh, I am a sucker for an interesting quesion - the nucleous is definitly involved in ribosome synthesis. My only thought would be if ribosomes are formed in the nucleolus, what happens in prokaryotes?

I had curry for tea too! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Em... well.... I looked up ribosomes at the back of the book, saw that pretty much that was what the book was about and then thought "Wait a minute, you are looking stuff up for a Cambridge student. Bloody hell, the hardest part really is getting in." I would recommend you take a look at a copy of the book - mine is out of date anyway as I had to buy mine in a sale rather than just looking at one in one of how many libraries? :rolleyes:

According to my another book - argh, I am a sucker for an interesting quesion - the nucleous is definitly involved in ribosome synthesis. My only thought would be if ribosomes are formed in the nucleolus, what happens in prokaryotes?

I had curry for tea too! :eek:
    hehe, where are you at? i really dont think we're that special i certainly am not.

i will attempt to look in one of my (* also from sales and out of date ) books and compare notes. failing that i suppose i could perhaps go to the one library im allowed to vorrow books from

ReputationRep:
    hehe, where are you at? i really dont think we're that special i certainly am not.

i will attempt to look in one of my (* also from sales and out of date ) books and compare notes. failing that i suppose i could perhaps go to the one library im allowed to vorrow books from
    lol - I'm still at school. That's why you should know more about this!

ReputationRep:
    lol - I'm still at school. That's why you should know more about this!
    hey, i only started here less than 2 weeks ago! ad ive forgotten evertthing i learnt at school, therefore you should know more.

Campbell, "Biology2, god knows what edition:

The most visible structure within the non-dividing nucleus is the nucleolus which synthesises molecular ingredients of ribosomes. These ribosomal components pass through the nuclear pores into the cytoplasm where their assembly is completed.

- none of which helps me much/.

ReputationRep:
    ok, lodish molecular cell biology:

Most of the cell's ribosomal RNA is synthesised in the nucleolus; some ribosomal proteins are added to ribosomal RNAs within the nucleus as well. The finished or partly-finished ribosomal subunit passes through a nuclear pore into the cytosol.

I guess the protein-y bits come from outside, but it doesnt say.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i only started here less than 2 weeks ago! ad ive forgotten evertthing i learnt at school, therefore you should know more.

Campbell, "Biology2, god knows what edition:

The most visible structure within the non-dividing nucleus is the nucleolus which synthesises molecular ingredients of ribosomes. These ribosomal components pass through the nuclear pores into the cytoplasm where their assembly is completed.

- none of which helps me much/.
    I can't see anything else. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.genet.33.1.261;jsessioni d=jaVmgvkmofMd?cookieSet=1

This seems to be what you are looking for but you have to pay - perhaps one of your super-duper Cambrdge libraries will have a copy?

ReputationRep:
    yay, just ordered me a digitech whammy for my guitar....hopefully the best £170 quid i've spent on a box that makes noises!

ReputationRep:
    hehe, thanks, but I think i'll just list complete/partial ribosomal subunits i will try and ask tomorrw tho and i will let you know if i get a good anseer

ReputationRep:
    you boys and your pedals :rolleyes:

i bought plums, apples, textbokos, and a new baby card for my cousin. not quite as exciting huh.

ReputationRep:
    ok, lodish molecular cell biology:

Most of the cell's ribosomal RNA is synthesised in the nucleolus; some ribosomal proteins are added to ribosomal RNAs within the nucleus as well. The finished or partly-finished ribosomal subunit passes through a nuclear pore into the cytosol.

I guess the protein-y bits come from outside, but it doesnt say.
    From what I remember of last year, there isnt any ribosome made in the nucleus - the large and small subunits of the ribosome form outside it.

If you're really fussed, go find a copy of alberts- molecular cell biology.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, are any of the medics going to see Jed Mercurio speak next week? (I think) Should be quite cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    yay, just ordered me a digitech whammy for my guitar....hopefully the best £170 quid i've spent on a box that makes noises!
    For £170 it better be good :eek: . I had a simple whammy/tremolo bar on my guitar, but it was a bit lame...

(Original post by Helenia)
    Oooh, are any of the medics going to see Jed Mercurio speak next week? (I think) Should be quite cool.
    Who, what, where, when??

EDIT: Found the email......Could be interesting !! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadLy)
    From what I remember of last year, there isnt any ribosome made in the nucleus - the large and small subunits of the ribosome form outside it.

If you're really fussed, go find a copy of alberts- molecular cell biology.
    im not bothered enough to change out of my pyjamas and go to the library which i think closes at 10 anyway.

Pretty sure from these books at least that at least parts of ribosomes are made /assembled in the nucleolus. But maybe they are ou of date, who knows.

ps. isnt it molecular biology of the cell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadLy)
    Who, what, where, when??

EDIT: Found the email......Could be interesting !! :confused:
    You should read the book - it's an eye-opener for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadLy)
    For £170 it better be good :eek: . I had a simple whammy/tremolo bar on my guitar, but it was a bit lame...
    yeah I bloody well hope it's worth it....it's cos so many people use it (including my fav band) and so if I bought any other pedal I'd still want the whammy one. Obviously it does soooo much more than just do a tremolo...because it pitchshifts huge octives and can do delays and divebombs!

ReputationRep:
    while i remember, is anyone still up for going to give blood on mon 1st nov (week on mon) with me ? will probs be evening as I have labs most of the day. its on downing place which is (obviously) next to downing parallel to st andrews st and tennis ct rd

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.