Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    by the way, am i completely imagining this from AS, or do lysosomes play a role in cell autolysis? i seem to remember learning that they did. but none of my books mention it so it was probably either a lie or io remembered it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    On a more practical note - goddammit, I can't find more picture hooks ANYWHERE! I'm sure Rymans sold them last year. Have resorted to unbent paper-clips. Anyone got any suggestions?

Would Staples do them?
    My friend got some from one of the picture shops on King's parade, but unfortunately not sure which one...

I had the circulation cut off to my arm for 40 mins this morning for a Neuro practical. That was nice. It was really weird, started off getting crazy pins and needles, then my hand went really cold and my arm went all blotchy and blue - it looked like it had been dead and in a river about a week! By the end of it, I couldn't feel anything at all, and couldn't move any of my forearm or hand muscles, even though it felt like I was lifting them, they just weren't having any effect at all. Then when they took the cuff off...owwwieeeee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    My friend got some from one of the picture shops on King's parade, but unfortunately not sure which one...

I had the circulation cut off to my arm for 40 mins this morning for a Neuro practical. That was nice. It was really weird, started off getting crazy pins and needles, then my hand went really cold and my arm went all blotchy and blue - it looked like it had been dead and in a river about a week! By the end of it, I couldn't feel anything at all, and couldn't move any of my forearm or hand muscles, even though it felt like I was lifting them, they just weren't having any effect at all. Then when they took the cuff off...owwwieeeee!
    we're doing that in physiology soon. btu only after we electrocute our arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Dammit. Medics get such better practicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Dammit. Medics get such better practicals.
    as i said we are doing that in a few weeks... so a whole year earlier than medics we must be better

so natscis get better practicals, but only iftheyre biologists! ahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    On a more practical note - goddammit, I can't find more picture hooks ANYWHERE! I'm sure Rymans sold them last year. Have resorted to unbent paper-clips. Anyone got any suggestions?

Would Staples do them?
    The art shop on kings parade that's between the newsagent and the natwest sells them, you need to ask though because they keep them under the counter. Like 40p each or so.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    they keep them under the counter
    conjures up funny images for me

ReputationRep:
    There are people jogging round and round on the grass outside my window. Mad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    There are people jogging round and round on the grass outside my window. Mad!
    sounds like it!!

havng said that i think i get madder people going past my window. usually singing. at 2am. :rolleyes:

nice to see you & pol yesterday. i apologisd to tired flatmate and all is ok

ReputationRep:
    anybody going to DnB at clare cellars tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    im going to the junction, apparently ! wanna come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    nice to see you & pol yesterday. i apologisd to tired flatmate and all is ok

He did seem less than enamoured with us (for us read "me", Irishmen can easily outdo two tiny English girls and a random Chinese guy in the shouting stakes)...

We have to go and meet some random people sometime and ride the Jesus horse

ReputationRep:
    by the way, am i completely imagining this from AS, or do lysosomes play a role in cell autolysis? i seem to remember learning that they did. but none of my books mention it so it was probably either a lie or io remembered it wrong
    They do.

ReputationRep:
    Good old apoptosis! Katie worked for a dude who was doing a lot of research into that at Southampton. She's only a humble microbiologist now though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    They do.
    are you 100% sure this is not one of the many "a level lies" we are discovering? it seems slightly odd it isnt in any of the 3 undergrad textbooks i have so far consulted

ReputationRep:
    are you 100% sure this is not one of the many "a level lies" we are discovering? it seems slightly odd it isnt in any of the 3 undergrad textbooks i have so far consulted
    They do man.. It's just a bit more complicated than they allow us to find out at A-level

ReputationRep:
    well it was one of the four major functions of lysosomes... It is probably so trivia l that its not mentioned. Lysis means 'to split'.

Pol, how is apoptisis pronounced? apop - tisis or a-poptisis?

ReputationRep:
    a-pop-to-sis, to my knowledge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    They do man.. It's just a bit more complicated than they allow us to find out at A-level
    well explain it then :mad:

Anyone know how cellulose synthase uses UDP-glucose as its substrate but then in synthesising cellulose obviously is just beta glucose ( i feel iam making as much sense as camford on a bad day) >.. does it just lop it off? does the UDP, what ever it may be (my guess is uracil diphosphate, but i have no idea) do anything especially impportant?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else wish unis had more of a say in what was on a level syllabi?

see, like autolysis isnt even in the index here. i know to look up apoptosis, but we didnt even do apoptosis at a level, so a lot of people wouldnt! we just called it autolsysi

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.