Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I could. But that would involve me flying 7000+ miles, into what is considered to be a warzone. I am quite happy here thank you very much. :rolleyes:
    Well... if you carry on being immature, then you know what the boogey man will do to you.

ReputationRep:
    YAY got back from queens ergs and WOHOO i beat 1:40!!! if i read the time sheet right, I got 1:39.4, which i believe is v good for my weight. But it's amazing how strong some guys are...the guy after me fell off TWICE but still pulled 500m in 1:36 something! I need to work on my drive rather than my pace!

Oh and helen, if you do wanna do this formal, then please can you confirm it and start thinking about a few possible dates so that i can let the guys know! Ta

so smokers tonight! yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Well... if you carry on being immature, then you know what the boogey man will do to you.
    no :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    You don't get into trouble here, you don't get detentions like you're at school. The only person who's really going to suffer is you. If you're really really persistent then your DoS might hate you and get you deaned, but I've never heard that happen to anyone I know.

We're all supposed to have a mature attitude to work and life now remember.

Alaric.
    *unlady-like snort*

ReputationRep:
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr missed tickets for smokers grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Oh and helen, if you do wanna do this formal, then please can you confirm it and start thinking about a few possible dates so that i can let the guys know! Ta
    Yep, well I've told the Lower Boats Captain that we'd like to do one, and she says she's working on sorting it, so I'll keep you posted. I'll see her tomorrow and ask And well done on Queens' Ergs - I chickened out

Rosie - we haven't received any advice on getting vaccines yet, so I'll wait until we do. I don't have an issue with injections, but I do have a problem with wasting NHS time and money if the risk is low. We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm, just went and heard Clare Choir for the first time My god they're powerful! My ears are still ringing

ReputationRep:
    What's Queen's Ergs? Why wasn't I invited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Mmmmm, just went and heard Clare Choir for the first time My god they're powerful! My ears are still ringing
    :eek: Getting freaked out now! Where were you sat? Was stunning, wasn't it?!? Though yes, very powerful.

Edit: Baz, it's an erg competition run by Queens'. You weren't invited cos it's for novices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Edit: Baz, it's an erg competition run by Queens'. You weren't invited cos it's for novices.
    Oh, what was the winning time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yep, well I've told the Lower Boats Captain that we'd like to do one, and she says she's working on sorting it, so I'll keep you posted. I'll see her tomorrow and ask And well done on Queens' Ergs - I chickened out

Rosie - we haven't received any advice on getting vaccines yet, so I'll wait until we do. I don't have an issue with injections, but I do have a problem with wasting NHS time and money if the risk is low. We'll see.

i cant imagine your college's advice would be wildly different from ours and that of the other colleges ive heard about.. for one thing.. it is an lot cheaper to give a lot of people a booster than to have one person getting brain damage, deafness, etc from it.

dont put yourself at risk even if its small from some idea of saving the NHS time and money. the surgeries wouldn't also encourage us to get the boosters if they thought that. my area had a big(ish) mumps epidemic earlier this year and the health authorities were very insistent people should get jabs or boosters. they even set up emergency centres to get everyone vaccinated. they wouldnt do that if they didnt think it was a sensible way to use their resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Oh, what was the winning time?
    i believe mens' novices individuals top spot was something like 1.22 or 1.23ish... maybe even 1.21. which, for someone who's been rowing all of 3 weeks... i really don't want to imagine their erg scores 2 years down the road.

(BTW, it's 8x500m, 20s break to changeover in between each person)

FaT trin won the mens' with slightly over 12, i think... they got into the final with 12.15. (2 sub 1.25 ergs :rolleyes: )

final was AMAZING. of the last 9 people from the 9 finalist teams, i think 6 or 7 of them pulled sub 1.30!!! for NOVICES!!!

oh yes - any novice boaties from other colleges up for formalling action? we've got 4 very keen, and rather bored novice mens' crews who have had a grand total of ZERO formals to date. come think of it, we've got 4 novice womens' crews too, but i'm not too sure if they have had their fair share of group blind dates yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    i cant imagine your college's advice would be wildly different from ours and that of the other colleges ive heard about.. for one thing.. it is an lot cheaper to give a lot of people a booster than to have one person getting brain damage, deafness, etc from it.

dont put yourself at risk even if its small from some idea of saving the NHS time and money. the surgeries wouldn't also encourage us to get the boosters if they thought that. my area had a big(ish) mumps epidemic earlier this year and the health authorities were very insistent people should get jabs or boosters. they even set up emergency centres to get everyone vaccinated. they wouldnt do that if they didnt think it was a sensible way to use their resources.
    I seriously had no idea about that epidemic :eek: . Must look out for more local news methinks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    but i'm not too sure if they have had their fair share of group blind dates yet.
    You've got it all wrong - you check out all the crews on the river beforehand so you can work out which colleges are worth crew dating :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    oh yes - any novice boaties from other colleges up for formalling action? we've got 4 very keen, and rather bored novice mens' crews who have had a grand total of ZERO formals to date. come think of it, we've got 4 novice womens' crews too, but i'm not too sure if they have had their fair share of group blind dates yet.
    Blatantly Formal whore, me! (in terms of going to as many as possible, not regarding my behaviour at them...ahem )

Rosie - I'll wait and see. So far we've heard nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    i believe mens' novices individuals top spot was something like 1.22 or 1.23ish... maybe even 1.21. which, for someone who's been rowing all of 3 weeks... i really don't want to imagine their erg scores 2 years down the road.
    Well, you say that, BUT 500m is just basically a contest of who can pull the hardest, technique doesn't really come into play to any great extent. The nature of the event means you will get some novices who can go very fast, but won't be able to transfer that raw pwer to 2K, which is what counts for the university crews.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you say that, BUT 500m is just basically a contest of who can pull the hardest, technique doesn't really come into play to any great extent. The nature of the event means you will get some novices who can go very fast, but won't be able to transfer that raw pwer to 2K, which is what counts for the university crews.
    The cambridge novices seem to be getting it easy with their 500m ergs - our evil coach makes us do 20mins as hard as we can :mad:

ReputationRep:

Well the fastest time in my set of 9 was by some seriously HUGE guy (who clearly was either a rugby player or should be) who pulled 1:21.something. So clearly that was the fastest of all the mens then.

When it comes to this notion of power....you have to make a balance between stroke rate and output per stroke. I think I wasnt putting enough into the output per stroke (rather trying to keep the stroke rate constant) because the other guys on my team slowed significantly their stroke rate towards the end, but must have kept on pulling damn hard cos they got better times than me.

Heck...i'm not complaining, 1:39.4 i think is pretty respectable, especially considering i only weigh 60kg. According to a little calculator thing I found on the internet, that 500m erg time is equivilent in power to weight ratio of an 85kg guy pulling sub 1:30! So all in all I think i'm not all that bad, even though my erg time was obviously a good few seconds down on most of the others (including those who fell off!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    The cambridge novices seem to be getting it easy with their 500m ergs - our evil coach makes us do 20mins as hard as we can :mad:
    5K then, give or take. Basically a fat burning exercise, again, it isn't that helpful in picking out those who have potential; favours people with stamina whereas 500m favours those with power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Well the fastest time in my set of 9 was by some seriously HUGE guy (who clearly was either a rugby player or should be) who pulled 1:21.something. So clearly that was the fastest of all the mens then.
    Exactly. Pulling a 1.21 0.5K doesn't mean it'll lead to a sub-6 2K.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.