Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Academia doesn't pay very well at all for your level of expertise...
    I think that's the main point. They seem to do pretty well for themselves here in Cambridge, it has to be said - judging by what some of the fellows drive!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    maybe their partners aren't academics

ReputationRep:
    Please ignore this post; I just need to ooh and aah a bit as my parents are in bed so can't phone them to do it!

WOW have just sung Messiah with the best choir in Cambridge! I have no voice left and I am physically exhausted (and that was just a rehearsal!) but BOY was it worth it!! First time I have ever sung sandwiched between two counter-tenors: couldn't hear myself think, let alone sing! Fantastic. I do not want to rehearse with Sidney choir tomorrow... Wowowowowowow I still get another rehearsal and the actual peformance... this is amazing...

*raptures*

ReputationRep:
    *does not understand these crazy people and their passions for singing and rowing*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    right, i'm now stuck on bloody triple integrals!

To find the volume of a sphere (radius a) using triple integrals, must I do the following

integrate 1 with respect to x between limits +root(a^2-y^2-z^2) and -(same thing)
    then integrate that with respect to y between limits root(a^2-z^2) and the negative of that
    and then integrate THAT with respect to z between -a and a!?

it just seems very complex!
    no- you need to convert to spherical polar coordinates first
    basically your limits are 0<r<a because thats the radius
    0<theta<pi and 0<fi<2pi because you need to go all the way round the axis for fi to get the sphere shape and only half the way round one of the axis for fi to cover the whole area of the sphere. and the general dV for volume in spherical polars is sin(theta)r^2 d(fi)d(theta)dr
    so basically evaluate this integral with the limits i gave you and you should get the answer! if you get stuck you can always have a look at someones lecture notes who does the maths A course- this question was used as an example in them. Hope this helps a bit, I still can't totally get my head round them, now back to my fascinating essay on inbreeding and then rowing at 7............................. I want sleep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    WOW have just sung Messiah with the best choir in Cambridge! I have no voice left and I am physically exhausted (and that was just a rehearsal!) but BOY was it worth it!! First time I have ever sung sandwiched between two counter-tenors: couldn't hear myself think, let alone sing! Fantastic. I do not want to rehearse with Sidney choir tomorrow... Wowowowowowow I still get another rehearsal and the actual peformance... this is amazing...
    Is this the one that's in Trinity chapel in a couple of weeks? My friend is one of the tenor soloists :cool: I love Messiah, and I'd love to see it, but I'm away that weekend *sob*

Yukyukyuk. Feeling minging after last night's boatie curry. It was fantastic fun, totally hilarious and everyone was completely plastered. I had to stop my college husband from fighting anyone he came near, and from lying down in the middle of Trinity Street (I apologise to any random passers-by I may have offended with my screaming). Can't remember too much after that, but it was fun. Am knackered and hungover thuogh, and have to go to path practical. Poor Helen.

And Clareites - whatever you hear, it's NOT TRUE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And Clareites - whatever you hear, it's NOT TRUE!
    If a Clareite friend of mine were to tell me something about you, what bits should I ignore?

ReputationRep:
    104 hours till i go home! (well, not really home. Home number 3, if this is home 2)

really....cant....be...arsed.... to....do.......a........thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    104 hours till i go home! (well, not really home. Home number 3, if this is home 2)

really....cant....be...arsed.... to....do.......a........thing
    Which home are you off to? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Which home are you off to? :confused:

first home 2 (i guess it should actually be home 3) aka thoms, then home 1 aka my house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    If a Clareite friend of mine were to tell me something about you, what bits should I ignore?
    Only listen to the flattering bits.

I have some really random bruises on my arm. Looks like someone tried to grab me or something. Plus a few others, but they're just part of my usual collection

ReputationRep:
    I have some really random bruises on my arm. Looks like someone tried to grab me or something. Plus a few others, but they're just part of my usual collection
    Why are you telling us this? Is it to do with the gossip I haven't heard yet but am supposed to ignore if I do?

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Relativity is Evil!!! I should have registered for Chemistry instead.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the one that's in Trinity chapel in a couple of weeks? My friend is one of the tenor soloists :cool: I love Messiah, and I'd love to see it, but I'm away that weekend *sob*
    Yeah, it is! WOW I've met your friend then... Was he the one with lightish hair? The tenor section is amazing: it makes such a difference to sing with class tenors!

I wouldn't be singing in it except my best friend is conducting it :cool: Jammy He's been talking about a Mass in B Minor at some point as well so there will doubtless be more stuff... Also if you like Brahms' Requiem the Trinity Singers are doing it in April. Come sing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Why are you telling us this? Is it to do with the gossip I haven't heard yet but am supposed to ignore if I do?

Alaric.
    No, this isn't gossip. I think it's probably my college husband grabbing me to try and stop falling over in Trinity Street. Probably :confused:

Nicky - my friend is the little short hyperactive one with brown hair. Camp as Christmas but lovely. Sounds like lots of fun!

ReputationRep:
    Camp as Christmas? :confused: Not heard that one before

ReputationRep:
    No, this isn't gossip. I think it's probably my college husband grabbing me to try and stop falling over in Trinity Street. Probably :confused:
    Not going back to your S&M roots, then!?

ReputationRep:
    ive somehow managed to lose one of my traces for physiology.. i normally stick them all in as i go along.. i think my damn aprtner must have stolen mine *sobs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yeah, it is! WOW I've met your friend then... Was he the one with lightish hair? The tenor section is amazing: it makes such a difference to sing with class tenors!

I wouldn't be singing in it except my best friend is conducting it :cool: Jammy He's been talking about a Mass in B Minor at some point as well so there will doubtless be more stuff... Also if you like Brahms' Requiem the Trinity Singers are doing it in April. Come sing!!
    Are the Trinity Singers Trinity's chapel choir, or are they another group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    ive somehow managed to lose one of my traces for physiology.. i normally stick them all in as i go along.. i think my damn aprtner must have stolen mine *sobs*
    email them and demand them back?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.