Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    um hello? student loan?! I have 60 quid a week to live on and im not wasting it on taxis. Wasting it in the bar is another matter however... :rolleyes:

Point taken but I'm sure I'm not the only one bringing a car - share trips with one of your feminist lesbian men-hating college mates!

Sorry, that was uncalled for - but everyone goes on about how far Girton is away and how stupid we all are!

I think it's a Lord of the Flies situation! Maybe the college idea is a bad one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Point taken but I'm sure I'm not the only one bringing a car
    Girton is a long way away from most of Cambridge...some people like that though. Homerton's a trek too.

And every college suffers from stereotypes too. Nothing you can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    Like the bricks! All people talk about is the bricks! :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Girton is a long way away from most of Cambridge...some people like that though. Homerton's a trek too.

I think it's a bit silly to paint any of the colleges out as "stupid" though. It's still Cambridge, after all...

I was my first choice, but had I have been pooled... [stops dead in his tracks]

No... None of us are "stupid" in relation to the country as a whole!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Like the bricks! All people talk about is the bricks! :'(
    Well, Robinson's too young for most people to have an idea about the people (except most people think they're really laid-back about everything...which is mostly true)...so yeah, it's all about the bricks.

I actually asked my general interviewer why there were so many red and black bricks around, and he told me it was an architectural thing (no **** Sherlock).

ReputationRep:
    No... None of us are "stupid" in relation to the country as a whole!
    True, but that kind of "intelligence" is an accident of birth...not everyone at Cambridge qualifies as hard-working or decent, which is probably more important.

But anyway, who did you hear saying Girton was stupid? It's silly to have an opinion about a place you know nothing about, especially since these people who make fun of the distance to Girton have probably never been there.

ReputationRep:

Do you know how much truth there is in the 'rugby lads culture' stereotype at St. Johns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Do you know how much truth there is in the 'rugby lads culture' stereotype at St. Johns?
    I have no idea...I'm sure there are some hard-drinking macho knobs, but I know some very nice people who've gone there.

ReputationRep:
    hard-drinking macho knobs
    Do you get many of them at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Do you get many of them at Cambridge?
    Sure, but don't you get them at every university?

ReputationRep:
    Visesh said:

"Manually increasing the surface temperature of the ship's primary cannon by repeated linear manipulation"

Polthegael says:

"What you do in your spare time is no concern of us here on this forum!"

just wanted to see how long it took for someone to actually read it

ReputationRep:
    Point taken but I'm sure I'm not the only one bringing a car - share trips with one of your feminist lesbian men-hating college mates!
    i believe there is a rule somewhere that states that undergrads are not permitted cars...

and even if this wasn't true (i'm 90% sure it is...), parking is going to be your worst nightmare ever - sometimes you walk around cambridge and it seems as if the nearest car park is somewhere next to Girton :rolleyes: ( ) , which kind of defeats the purpose.

point is, in the centre of cambridge, where the overwhelming majority of undergraduate life is spent, the difference between having and not having a car is negligible. also, there are all sorts of traffic restrictions which make navigation a nightmare, since routes change according to which roads are open at which times of the day. a bike, on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea...I'm sure there are some hard-drinking macho knobs, but I know some very nice people who've gone there.
    i've got a few friends from john's, and the culture there is definitely a lot more sporty and somewhat less academic than other colleges.

on the other hand, the differences between cambridge colleges are small and subtle, and the only reason all the cam people are able to pick out these things is because we are actually living in the town and experiencing the life on a daily basis - under such circumstances, that extra 200 metres to walk to a lecture theatre seems so disproportionately significant...

all in all, we are a lot more similar than we are different, and outsiders will see all 31 colleges as being almost identical, against all strenuous objections by students. (the horror of being accused of being a johnian... too bad steve is down under and not here to defend his dignity...)

(Original post by Fluffstar)
    Hmm...I thought i would take my bike, just because bike+basket is easier to take shopping home from ASDA the other side of town...
    good plan

If i had a bike (and a basket) I would probably bring them, but since I don't, i think it makes more sense for me to wait & see if I do need one or not.

Is anyone else on here leaving a boyfriend or girlfriend "back home"?

ReputationRep:
    Evening crana

If I get in I certainly will be
    He's wanting to go to Aberdeen uni. Although he says he might just apply to Cambridge . His bro lives in Cam so I'm sure he could come visit (desperately trying to persuade herself that this is the case)

Evening crana

If I get in I certainly will be
    He's wanting to go to Aberdeen uni. Although he says he might just apply to Cambridge . His bro lives in Cam so I'm sure he could come visit (desperately trying to persuade herself that this is the case)
    aww, you have a long while to go though! over a year before that might be a problem.. how long have you been going out?

he can come and visit you anyway

ReputationRep:
    It's our one year anniversary in about a fortnight

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed, Faboba's not on this thread and he's starting this year.

It's our one year anniversary in about a fortnight
    sweet, have a good time!

if I miss my grades I'll be staying in nottingham with my bf so its all good hehe

ReputationRep:
    Aww win win situation

I don't even know if I'm going to see him for our anniversary though
    He lives about two hundred miles away (trust me to end up with a long distance relationship :rolleyes: He came up here for my bday though )

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.