Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    well you have to use (e^jd + e^-jd)/2 = cos d and so on!
    By any chance have you done any of the qus from J9 to J11? i'm so stuck!

ReputationRep:
    sorry mate, i'm no maths expert, i'm gonna start doing them in about 5 mins, by which time someone will have given you the answer or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    That is so harsh you really should refuse to pay! Im v glad we dont get fined at our college for setting fire alarms off (as long as not on purpose obviously) just a bit of a telling off. Poor you!
    im glad im not the only person who thinks its a bit harsh

but what can you do eh..

ReputationRep:
    ellie... i still havent managed to spot you in lectures! youre doing E&B and... cells? right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    By any chance have you done any of the qus from J9 to J11? i'm so stuck!
    i suggest you explore J9 by multiplying z1 and z2 and z1z2* by a complex number with mod:1 and arg:t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i suggest you explore J9 by multiplying z1 and z2 and z1z2* by a complex number with mod:1 and arg:t
    Are these the ones with logs of complex numbers and things? I think I remember the sheets from last year.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Are these the ones with logs of complex numbers and things? I think I remember the sheets from last year.

Ben
    Sorry - those questions are in I.
    J9: Show that z1z¤2 is invariant under a rotation of z1 and z2 about the origin in the Argand diagram.

Ergh.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    anyone want to contribute anything i can say in my prsentation?

2. Presentation - “The importance of molecular organisation in the photosynthetic electron transfer chain”.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    ellie... i still havent managed to spot you in lectures! youre doing E&B and... cells? right?
    Yep i'm in cells and E&B- i've been trying to spot u as well but haven't seen u! maybe i should go to lectures armed with a foto of you and start looking! in E&B usually am one or two rows from back to left(cos am usually late and thats the only place with space) and cells in the middle towards back sumwhere. is very strange we havent run into each other yet xxx

ReputationRep:
    anyone want to contribute anything i can say in my prsentation?

2. Presentation - “The importance of molecular organisation in the photosynthetic electron transfer chain”.
    The precise organisation and orientation of the components of antenna complexes are important for allowing efficient RET to the reaction centres. I'll have to do all this again in tedious detail in Lent. I can't remeber the exact order of the plastoquinone/cyanin rubbish (and can't be bothered to look on my shelf!).

Ben

ReputationRep:
    ah ellie.. i normally sit right in front of the projector thingy in E&B, i think i need stromnger glasses, if i sit near the back I cant see the slides properly!! in cells I normally sit in the middle bit at the front near the back of that section hehehe

thanks ben.. it would help if i understood ANY photosynthesis

by the way.. anyone... Is there anywhere in cambridge that sells sewing type stuff? I need a hook and eye and some black thread in an experiment to try and make my gown wearable...Like any big dept,. stores should sell that kind of thing, but i dont recall seeing any?!

ReputationRep:
    ah ellie.. i normally sit right in front of the projector thingy in E&B, i think i need stromnger glasses, if i sit near the back I cant see the slides properly!! in cells I normally sit in the middle bit at the front near the back of that section hehehe

by the way.. anyone... Is there anywhere in cambridge that sells sewing type stuff? I need a hook and eye and some black thread in an experiment to try and make my gown wearable...Like any big dept,. stores should sell that kind of thing, but i dont recall seeing any?!
    Robert Sayle has stuff like that - it's up near the Grafton.

There's a fabric shop on Hobson Street which may do some as well.

ReputationRep:

Have you tried the material stall in the market- that sells sewing type stuff as well i think.

ReputationRep:
    devilchild....if you havent managed J9 by now, here's the answer I just worked out:

a rotation by angle t is multiplication by a complex number: p = cos t + isin t (since arg(p) = t)....therefore

z1 rotated = z1p
    z2 rotated = z2p

taking these new values for z1 and z2, then (New z1)(New z2)* = (z1p)(z2p)* = z1z2*pp*

but |pp*| = 1 (obviously) and arg(pp*) = 0, therefore z1z2*pp* = z1z2*, so is invariant!

ReputationRep:
    J10 is easily shown just by expanding it out in terms of real and imaginary parts (use a substitution of a = x + iy and b = u + vi if you wish!)

ReputationRep:
    cunning plans nicky & ellie, thank you. i will report back if this is a success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    J10 is easily shown just by expanding it out in terms of real and imaginary parts (use a substitution of a = x + iy and b = u + vi if you wish!)
    Thanks a lot for the help, had kinda given up on these 2! do you know what the result of J10 shows geometrically?

ReputationRep:
    well i havent got it totally figured out, but basically you want to draw the parallelogram, and you need to show that the sum of the squares of the non-parallel sides is twice the sum of the squares of the diagonals.....but that seems boring so i might try that later.

ReputationRep:
    yup

althought it wasnt exactly frm drinking too much coffee
    Goood ol' Pro Plus

ReputationRep:
    right....who the hell gave me negative rep for the last post i made.....whoever did that better have a good excuse, otherwise they are the most pathetic person ever!

someone positive rep me, i dont like that red gem

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.