Cambridge Chat (previously New Cambridge Students Entry 2004)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate physics.... Argh~~~~~
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Helenia, are you stalking me?!
I've seen you about more than a few times today, and not just on the river! Been such a busy day sorry I didn't say hi, but I did grin at you as we sped past you while you were getting your boat out!
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
any compsci know how to do question 7 or 8 on page 7 discrete maths? i can show that 2^2k - 1 is divisble by 3, but how do you go about dealing with the L shape. Also question 8, the doors which are unlocked have an odd number of factors (including 1 as a facotr) but how do you find which door numbers have that property?
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
incredible....cambridge seems to make me soo ill! I came here with no medicine related stuff, I now have in my top desk draw: Micropore tape, plasters, Strepsils, ibuprofen, Immodium tablet, gastrointeritis drugs and now bonjela mouth ulcer gel......and these items were only bought as i required them! damn cambridge!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
any compsci know how to do question 7 or 8 on page 7 discrete maths? i can show that 2^2k - 1 is divisble by 3, but how do you go about dealing with the L shape. Also question 8, the doors which are unlocked have an odd number of factors (including 1 as a facotr) but how do you find which door numbers have that property?
as for 7. Notice that every time you increase k by 1, you increase the size of the board by 4 times. Notice that the newly "added" L shape (3 corners) can be made out of 4 smaller L shapes. suppose it is true that purple square can be anywhere in one corner of this shape, by rotating the structure, it could be anywhere in the shape. See my picture you'll understand what I'm talking about. I hope it's easy enough for you to understand.

as for 8. these numbers are square numbers. In order to have an odd numbers of divisers, the one diviser that's in the middle (median in a sense) must be a repeated diviser.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
incredible....cambridge seems to make me soo ill! I came here with no medicine related stuff, I now have in my top desk draw: Micropore tape, plasters, Strepsils, ibuprofen, Immodium tablet, gastrointeritis drugs and now bonjela mouth ulcer gel......and these items were only bought as i required them! damn cambridge!
I started off with loads of antibiotics on my shelf, now I still have loads of antibiotics on my shelf...

I am hating it now. Especially because I can't do the physics problems. I'm not used to unable to solve problems that have been given to me. I'm hating that feeling. Hence hating Cambridge.
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i've given up trying to solve questions given to me....it's too hard...especially this discrete maths!

got any physics related examples? i need practice and i havent really had problems with those ones!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Discrete Maths is harder than I thought it would be. It is just on the edge of my capability as for now... I have super for it this Friday. But since I won't have any free time before 5 on Thursday, it's all work in tomorrow. And I still got at least one half of the 2nd excercise and q10 on 1st Ex to do... This is bad.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
got any physics related examples? i need practice and i havent really had problems with those ones!
The example booklet? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm going to do some mindless gaming for now. Just so I can be mildly happy for a while.
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i've hardly played any games.....you'd think there would be some network gaming going on.....any ideas?
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
that's what you'd think... I don't play network games. I play things like Metal Slug.
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i dont get what the first part of question 11 is saying.....nor do i get your explanation for question 8!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
8? these numbers have to be square numbers. I don't think you need to answer q11.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://freenet.am/~serjio/demos.html

Check this place out... Some truely amazing stuff.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
dinner time!!
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
but why must it be square....are square numbers of the only numbers with an odd number of factors?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It only gets worse.

More and more theory, get used to the discrete maths while you can!

A.
Immortal Wombat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
but why must it be square....are square numbers of the only numbers with an odd number of factors?
Yes. Everything else has pairs of factors, therefore an even number in total.
Immortal Wombat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
http://freenet.am/~serjio/demos.html

Check this place out... Some truely amazing stuff.
Have you tried the Torus Trooper game that was linked in the Pem Newsletter? Its brilliant.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.94%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (54)
8.18%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.88%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (79)
11.97%
Other reasons are stopping me going (84)
12.73%
Nothing is stopping me going (266)
40.3%

Watched Threads