The Student Room Group
At Newnham you get two mums apparently :smile:
Acaila
Hehe that sounds....interesting. My boyfriend would go absolutely nuts with a sniper rifle if anybody tried to marry me

scary :s-smilie:

maybe you could go for marrying another girl? that might concern him less.possibly.
Reply 1102
gzftan
Ok then..that's cool...i was worried for a minute there..thought it was a cambridge tradition to get married by easter or something?!:tongue:

G

well... there is one caian friend of mine actually getting really married next year after may week... to a girl from new hall. they started going out sometime in michaelmas term? he proposed in lent term, IIRC...

oh, and apparently (according to a newnham friend), caians are just about the loosest bunch when it comes to choice of words to refer to college wives/husbands/brothers/sisters/etc... other colleges apparently tend to append a "college" in front of "wife" or "husband" - we just go "my wife" or "my husband" or "i've just got married"
Funny thing is that the college Mum of someone who lives on my road was one of the undergrads helping on the Sutton Trust Summer School I was on.

By the way, where is Faboba? Does anyone now where sazzles is either, since she's supposed to be starting in Oct too.
Reply 1104
katiyakat
At Newnham you get two mums apparently :smile:

It's a good thing i'm not going to Newnham then (not that i could anyway:tongue:)...i've already got one mum...and that's quite enough for me!! I don't think i could take anymore nagging!!! :tongue:

G
gzftan
It's a good thing i'm not going to Newnham

G

Don't say stuff like that.
Reply 1106
MentallyIll
Don't say stuff like that.

Why not?? I don't understand?? :confused:

G
gzftan
Why not?? I don't understand?? :confused:

G

The Right to Exist thread, silly. It is a bad thing you are not going to Newnham, understand?
Reply 1108
MentallyIll
The Right to Exist thread, silly.

Oh right..yeh...sorry..not with it today :tongue:

G
Reply 1109
KHL
oh, and apparently (according to a newnham friend), caians are just about the loosest bunch when it comes to choice of words to refer to college wives/husbands/brothers/sisters/etc... other colleges apparently tend to append a "college" in front of "wife" or "husband" - we just go "my wife" or "my husband" or "i've just got married"

So is Caius quite a laid back college in comparison to the others then? Cos i've already heard stories of informal formal dinners :tongue:

G
my friend who has just left cambridge was telling me how you get a whole "family" - like your college parents' college parents are your grandparents, their friends' "children" are your "cousins" etc..

anyway she was on the bus talking to a friend and she said without thinking "you know, my grandad is SO FIT, im gonna try and pull him on friday" or something of the like...

everyone was staring....haha
Reply 1111
crana
my friend who has just left cambridge was telling me how you get a whole "family" - like your college parents' college parents are your grandparents, their friends' "children" are your "cousins" etc..

anyway she was on the bus talking to a friend and she said without thinking "you know, my grandad is SO FIT, im gonna try and pull him on friday" or something of the like...

everyone was staring....haha

Hehe....oh dear...did she not realise what she was saying at the time??

G
gzftan
Hehe....oh dear...did she not realise what she was saying at the time??

G

nope! because they just say "dad" "auntie" meaning college family all the time, and everyone in the college understands it... but random people on the bus dont!

actually most of the people on my bus look as if they were concieved in such a manner....
MentallyIll
The Right to Exist thread, silly. It is a bad thing you are not going to Newnham, understand?

How about we keep threads separate and entirely civil?

Hee! at Crana's college family story. Oxbridge-lingo clearly doesn't always transer well :smile:.
katiyakat
How about we keep threads separate and entirely civil?

Hee! at Crana's college family story. Oxbridge-lingo clearly doesn't always transer well :smile:.

What is uncivil about it? How about we stop being so serious?
MentallyIll
What is uncivil about it? How about we stop being so serious?
I thought your tone was somewhat confrontational, but as I'm hopefully going to Newnham, I'm not entirely or even close to being objective :smile:.
katiyakat
I thought your tone was somewhat confrontational, but as I'm hopefully going to Newnham, I'm not entirely or even close to being objective :smile:.

No, wasn't meant to be confrontational. Incidentally, I do not feel terribly strong about the matter, but I think it's an interesting thing to debate, and it's not something I have given great thought to about before.

I wasn't putting down the people who attend single sex college.
Reply 1117
crana
nope! because they just say "dad" "auntie" meaning college family all the time, and everyone in the college understands it... but random people on the bus dont!

actually most of the people on my bus look as if they were concieved in such a manner....

:mad: i feel offended :frown:
visesh
:mad: i feel offended :frown:

you hardly ever go on though! i am talking about the regular freaks......and you know who I mean.
Reply 1119
crana
you hardly ever go on though! i am talking about the regular freaks......and you know who I mean.

i take the ten-past...been doing so since easter so not too long. i know u didnt mean me (well i hoped u didnt anyway...) :rolleyes:

who is that guy who dresses up quite differently? gary? (gets off near portland college :confused: )

Latest