Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively why don't you rest your arms and quit rowing for a bit? - maybe you've actually hurt your arms.

No doubt you won't stop rowing though.

ReputationRep:
    if he doesnt work out WHY he is hurting his arms rowing as soon as he goes back to doing it after resting the problem will probably just recur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    any suggestion as to why my forarms are killing me so much?
    A little bit of hurt is good, I believe it means you're tearing th emuscle slightly which leads to stronger regrowth. However if it's hurting too much it's probably because you aren't leaving enough time between training sessions. Muscle rest should be taken seriously if you're still training, I expect Baz can go out everyday considering he'll already have enough but you'd only be damaging yourself!

This is mainly why I only try to play badminton 4 times a week because if I do like I'm going to be doing this week playing every day then I know I'm going to be hurting by next Wed!

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I've done it. It hurts, but it's doable. It's Fairbairns next week I'm worried about :eek:
    (I'm currently in my young leader polo shirt, complete with badge tab, and in the library, I am cool!)

I'm really quite nervous but excited about racing, quite a bit of pressure on us to do well, I've only been with this crew for a fortnight, most of which I've not been allowed to row through illness. I don't want to let them down!
    I'm quite looking forward to Fairbairns, I doubt it will take longer than 15mins at most so not that bad really, outings are well over an 1.5hours so I don't think it will be too bad! I might not be saying the same the day after but trying to keep positive for now! The blisters are not going to be pleasant!

The Grace reader guy last night did the whole, year, college, A-levels, subject spiel (ahhh memories of freshers' week) and then guessed I was an archaeologist after I said arch & anth, got quite excited about that, yes he had a 1/3 chance but still cool I reckon! (Although to most normal people, that would be very uncool, we're a scruffy and odd group of people really!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    if he doesnt work out WHY he is hurting his arms rowing as soon as he goes back to doing it after resting the problem will probably just recur.
    My Cambridge doctor is mean! I needed a repeat prescription, new wrist supports and shoe insoles but he wont give them to me until he's read my notes or spoken to my home GP! I've had them since I could walk (not anti-inflamatories, just various 'extra parts'), why kick up a fuss now? Does it really make a difference now I'm living somewhere else! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    oh dear..

they can get your notes quickly. my GP put in a priority request didnt you take loads of letters and whatever with you anyway? like a crate of stuff?

i guess if he isnt helpful you would be best to reregister as a temporary resident when you get home for things like wrist supports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    I wonder how many Priyas there could be in a college?

I take it you're the one on the left in the photo, both of you with very strange arm positioning, it doesn't look very relaxed! I've met one of the boaties on the front cover of TCS, we both crashed on the floor of the same house for a week over the summer.

Whoever said cambridge students were dull eh? Well myself excluded obviously!

A.

the shame. they could have at least left my name out. still, the picture of the guy chucking up is worse. paula (bunny girl) has a nice picture....i'm so jealous!!

alaric- relaxed?! you expected us to be RELAXED?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    the shame. they could have at least left my name out. still, the picture of the guy chucking up is worse.
    Hehe, I think being almost naked on the front page with your full name is probably the winner. The chucking up is just mank. Still well done it's for a good cause anyway!

(Original post by priya)
    alaric- relaxed?! you expected us to be RELAXED?!!
    Good point, but I'm curious as to whether you used tongues and all . Or maybe I shouldn't ask a question like that.

Sorry

A.

ReputationRep:
    well at least one good thing has happened tonight....i think i've discovered i'm actually quite good at physics! i seem to be managing to get the answers out for these questions where my friends say they cant.....admitably i dont think i know quite what i'm doing, but it seems to be working....so yay, i'm not an idiot after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    well at least one good thing has happened tonight....i think i've discovered i'm actually quite good at physics! i seem to be managing to get the answers out for these questions where my friends say they cant.....admitably i dont think i know quite what i'm doing, but it seems to be working....so yay, i'm not an idiot after all!
    You mean now you've been elevated to an idiot who can push symbols around on a piece of paper?

A.

ReputationRep:
    yes......
    ............however after saying that i've now got stuck on the next question....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm....i'm tooo tired!

ReputationRep:
    right yea, if anyone can help me on this one...

thin uniform bar, suspended horizontally at rest. suddenly released from rest and at same moment recieves a force (of negligible duration) straight vertically up at one end. Desribe what happens to the location centre of mass?

well doesnt the centre of mass just fall in a straight line? the question seems to suggest it reaches a maximum height....wtf!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    right yea, if anyone can help me on this one...

thin uniform bar, suspended horizontally at rest. suddenly released from rest and at same moment recieves a force (of negligible duration) straight vertically up at one end. Desribe what happens to the location centre of mass?

well doesnt the centre of mass just fall in a straight line? the question seems to suggest it reaches a maximum height....wtf!?
    IIRC:

The impulse will exert a force that has a vertically upwards component and gravity will be exerting a force vertically downwards. Therefore you'd look at the vertical forces on the rod and deduce its acceleration etc whatever. I think you'd also want to take moments around the CoM to see it's rotation too. I think the key is to not think of all the impulse being used to either rotate or lift, but as a combination of both.

But then again I haven't done this stuff in a long time now and may be entirely and absolutely wrong (in fact I probably am - ignore meh!).

A.

ReputationRep:
    spinnerooney

ReputationRep:
    yes it spins....but the CoM doesnt go up and down does it? so how can it reach a maximum height?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    yes it spins....but the CoM doesnt go up and down does it? so how can it reach a maximum height?
    It could do.

Given it being a rigid rod you'd have F-mg=ma or something, where F is the force exerted by the impulse. You can always resolve forces in rigid bodies I believe.

A.

ReputationRep:
    but the force is momentary....so after the force is applied, it's gone and the CoM would just move downards according to gravity. Likewise it's angular velocity would stay constant....but this doesnt mean the coM reaches maximum heights....wtf is it on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    but the force is momentary....so after the force is applied, it's gone and the CoM would just move downards according to gravity. Likewise it's angular velocity would stay constant....but this doesnt mean the coM reaches maximum heights....wtf is it on about?
    I hit a golf ball but stop as soon as it's hit (don't follow through pushing it), the ball doesn't go anywhere. Or does it? Surely an impulse will move a stationary object according to Newton's laws.

Of course at a certain point the gravity would win and it would then just travel downwards. But it could travel upwards first surely?

A.

ReputationRep:
    Impulse
    If the amount of time the force is applied is very short, that force is called an impulse. An example of an impulse is when you hit a golf ball. The force is applied for a very short time and accelerates the ball up to a high speed. The ball then continues to travel at the same velocity, being slowed down some by the force of air resistance and being pulled to the earth by the force of gravity.
    from: http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/forces.htm

So explain why it wouldn't move upwards?

ReputationRep:
    but the force does not keep acting....the linear motion has to be just goverened by gravity! hence it only moves according to gravity (except in the negligible time duration where the other force acts)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.