Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Talk has turned to book-reading eh?? Ohdear....this is where i get shown up....i shouldn't really be going to cambridge(touch wood i will be)....i'm currently re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix....

G
    lol dont worry about it mate. When im not reading michael crichton, im reading cartoons, namely Calvin & Hobbes. Not even as intelligent as harry potter...
    Not that i dont read harry potter, tis just i read it a month ago and if you read them too often they're not fun anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    lol dont worry about it mate. When im not reading michael crichton, im reading cartoons, namely Calvin & Hobbes. Not even as intelligent as harry potter...
    Not that i dont read harry potter, tis just i read it a month ago and if you read them too often they're not fun anymore
    Lol..well...i'm only reading it for the second time...thought it was time to refresh my memory!!

I'm worried about cambridge in that respect though, cos onthe other thread...they were talking about Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..and other really famous and 'intellectual' books...whereas i'm stuck on Harry Potter and John Grisham books

G

ReputationRep:
    Lol..well...i'm only reading it for the second time...thought it was time to refresh my memory!!

I'm worried about cambridge in that respect though, cos onthe other thread...they were talking about Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..and other really famous and 'intellectual' books...whereas i'm stuck on Harry Potter and John Grisham books

G
    yeah. I wouldnt call hitchhikers guide 'intellectual' though...but i know what you mean. However i'd bear in mind that most of the ppl on here are stupidly intelligent, and also, why does it matter what books you read? If you are interested in Law and read stuff about law from time to time i think you'll be fine! I read a lot of geology/geography books because they interest me. I dont think you should read something just because of its reputation. Read what you enjoy - just as you (hopefully) chose the uni course you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    And how come the nottingham 2004 fresher's thread is a sticky?! we have 10 times the posts they have and ours isnt a sticky!!!
    Please can this be made a sticky?

ReputationRep:
    yeah. I wouldnt call hitchhikers guide 'intellectual' though...but i know what you mean. However i'd bear in mind that most of the ppl on here are stupidly intelligent, and also, why does it matter what books you read? If you are interested in Law and read stuff about law from time to time i think you'll be fine! I read a lot of geology/geography books because they interest me. I dont think you should read something just because of its reputation. Read what you enjoy - just as you (hopefully) chose the uni course you enjoy
    Hmmmm..yeh..you're right! It's just i feel slightly dumbfounded when talk turns to things like books everyone else has read...and i perhaps should have read..ah well..nevermind....on with Harry Potter!!

G

ReputationRep:
    And how come the nottingham 2004 fresher's thread is a sticky?! we have 10 times the posts they have and ours isnt a sticky!!!
    Please can this be made a sticky?
    I'll PM a mod now to ask....any ideas on which mod would be best to ask??

G

ReputationRep:
    I'll PM a mod now to ask....any ideas on which mod would be best to ask??

G
    someone nice. ickle katy? Leekey?

ReputationRep:
    someone nice. ickle katy? Leekey?
    I sent it to Adhsur...that's ok isn't it?? I was very nice in the PM though...so hopefully!

G

ReputationRep:
    I sent it to Adhsur...that's ok isn't it?? I was very nice in the PM though...so hopefully!

G
    cool beans! Although to be honest someone always posts on here to bump it anyway

ReputationRep:
    cool beans! Although to be honest someone always posts on here to bump it anyway
    Yup..that's cos this thread is much better than any other uni thread banging around on this forum!!! Anyone reading this from other uni's threads...that is not an invitation to start inter-thread rivalry..i'm sure your threads are lovely

G

ReputationRep:
    Yup..that's cos this thread is much better than any other uni thread banging around on this forum!!! Anyone reading this from other uni's threads...that is not an invitation to start inter-thread rivalry..i'm sure your threads are lovely

G
    lol or perhaps those who post on this one have nothing better to do than do so
    kidding, kidding. And to be honest the weather's been so pants that theres nothing for it but sitting inside and reading (when you cant get a job ARG)

ReputationRep:
    And to be honest the weather's been so pants that theres nothing for it but sitting inside and reading (when you cant get a job ARG)
    I know!!!!!!! I've applied everywhere!! But nowhere seems to get back to me

Oh well...looks like i'm doomed to a holiday of re-reading harry potter

G

ReputationRep:

G
    yeah - ive been for loads of interviews and noone wants me <sniff>
    going to be poor next year

ReputationRep:

G

Why not read something good? Byron maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Do they not have Rudyard Kipling where you come from?
    Sorry, gunga din... Kipling a bit on the imperialist Englishman side to spark any interest in a seditious wee Irishman like myself (going to Cambridge... hmmm...)

Now Douglas Adams... Anyone want to have dinner at the Restaurant at the end of the Universe? I might be able to convince Marvin to cheer up

So long, and thanks for all the floccinaucinihilipilification of my taste in authors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Are you suggesting that perhaps Harry Potter isn't good?!

Nah..i dunno...i've just never got in to reading the classics...i dunno why...no doubt i probably will start over the hols though...nothing else to do!

G

ReputationRep:
    In new news (hehe..new news ) to this thread...thanks to the lovely Adhsur....this thread has become a sticky!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    In new news (hehe..new news ) to this thread...thanks to the lovely Adhsur....this thread has become a sticky!!!!

G
    huzzah!! we have a nice stikly thread! thanks Adhsur!

ReputationRep:
    hi, this is none other than a message to say how incredibly jealous i am that you people are off to Cambridge ( grades permitting, obviously :rolleyes: )! its a pointless exercise i know but i'm currently bored on my day off from work and thought id just make a reply as this seems a very active thread.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.