Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You're still in Cambridge? Isn't it really boring now?

I wanted to go skiing on the Clare trip, but couldn't afford it Everyone except me is going *violins.* And cycling would be better, but round here it's just stupid, everywhere is soooooo hilly it's no fun at all. The motorists aren't as used to cyclists either, so it's quite dangerous. I accidentally left my bike in Cambridge too. I wouldn't call myself a rower anyway, and I never could run to save my life. It just doesn't agree with me. I can't do chin-ups either - was quite amusing when we all had to try at training camp last week, only one of the girls could do any at all!

And I refuse to rise to the map comment, because I know I can read maps. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Nope, I've done a lot less work in the last week than the week before. I was still hungover for the last badminton practice until new year, largely due to who (from memory) is your college sister.

Tomorrow I've got to pack some clothes, tidy my room a bit and do work etc :coffee:

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

I wanted to go skiing on the Clare trip, but couldn't afford it Everyone except me is going *violins.* And cycling would be better, but round here it's just stupid, everywhere is soooooo hilly it's no fun at all. The motorists aren't as used to cyclists either, so it's quite dangerous. I accidentally left my bike in Cambridge too. I wouldn't call myself a rower anyway, and I never could run to save my life. It just doesn't agree with me. I can't do chin-ups either - was quite amusing when we all had to try at training camp last week, only one of the girls could do any at all!

And I refuse to rise to the map comment, because I know I can read maps. :p:
    it's actually quite peaceful over here, though the town is being overrun by townies doing what i presume to be christmas shopping. gets real quiet at night though.

wouldn't cycling up reasonable gradients provide some sort of resistance which would better mimic the resistance of water past the blade? you're just looking for excuses... and even if you left your bike in cambridge, i'm sure you can find a cycle-trainer or someone else's bike to use... :p:

in my experience, i've not met a girl who could do chinups without any sort of prior training. to start (if you want to train to do them), the best way is to do assisted chinups. hang off the bar, fully relaxed, with ONE leg bent at about 90 degrees, and get your assistant to hold that ankle. then proceed to do chinups. do as many as possible, pushing off your assistant as little as possible. the minimum for every set should be 6. and at least 18 chinups every time you do it. and twice/thrice a day. you'll be doing 4-6 chinups within 3 weeks. in fact, you should be able to do 1 after about a week. tempting as it is to use both legs for the assist, don't. if you have to fall off coz your hands are dying, you don't want to have to fall flat on your face.

and chinups are good for your lats/biceps, depending on which grip you use. i'm sure you can figure out which grip (overhand/underhand) does which. and having developed muscles always helps when rowing

i'm perpetually amazed at how few chinups heavyweight rowers seem to be capable of... you'd expect at least 10 or 12 off them, but i'm told most find 6 or 8 difficult... some friends of mine (swimmers and kayakists, admittedly), do about 60 of them in a set!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    wouldn't cycling up reasonable gradients provide some sort of resistance which would better mimic the resistance of water past the blade? you're just looking for excuses... and even if you left your bike in cambridge, i'm sure you can find a cycle-trainer or someone else's bike to use... :p:
    Yeah, there's reasonable, e.g. Castle Hill, and then there's insane like the hill I live on. No way I'm doing that. And nobody else in my family has a bike that is a)the right size and b) has functioning gears. Mummy is giving me a month's gym membership for Christmas though, so hopefully there'll be bikey things there.

I feel no great desire to do chinups though, and I have no bar, so tragically I shall remain incapable. I used to be able to do about 5, when I was doing gymnastics, but those days are long gone. And lats? Have I just forgotten something incredibly important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    i'm perpetually amazed at how few chinups heavyweight rowers seem to be capable of... you'd expect at least 10 or 12 off them, but i'm told most find 6 or 8 difficult... some friends of mine (swimmers and kayakists, admittedly), do about 60 of them in a set!
    you need to simultaneously use your stomach muscles and sort of curl into a ball as you lift. it is a lot more difficult if you just monkey hang!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    you need to simultaneously use your stomach muscles and sort of curl into a ball as you lift. it is a lot more difficult if you just monkey hang!
    that's cheating! for proper chinups your body is supposed to be absolutely still.

there are so many ways to cheat for chinups - 1. "swimming" your way up, by wriggling your body. 2. jerking at the start. 3. when coming back down, bouncing off the bottom and going straight back up. 4. kicking your legs... the list goes on. proper chinups. 10 of them. try it. stiff body, legs crossed to prevent movement.

Helenia - lats = latissimus dorsi. ring a bell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    Helenia - lats = latissimus dorsi. ring a bell?
    Of course, I'd just never seen them abbreviated to that before. :bird: Just don't start asking me about nerve/blood supplies.

I'm off running again. Why do I do this?

I agree about the heavyweight rowers not being able to do them though, nobody except one of our coxes got above 7, I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    that's cheating! for proper chinups your body is supposed to be absolutely still.
    There's no point doing it straight if you can't do more than a few reps. You're trying to build strength not knacker your arms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    There's no point doing it straight if you can't do more than a few reps. You're trying to build strength not knacker your arms!
    one of my PTIs (physical training instructor... don't ask) once told me this about weights training, or really, any form of muscle-building training. there's no point cheating yourself. you'd rather do very few reps whilst isolating the muscles you want to train, than millions of reps whilst hardly training that same muscle because you're using every other muscle out there. and i subscribe to that particular viewpoint... though admittedly claiming 15 chinups rather than 10 is nice, but.... ah whatever.

i still remember the physical fitness test criteria we had for guys (18-25yrs old) where i came from... 6 chinups in a minute got you a bronze award, 8 got you silver, and 10+ got you a gold. but that's on top of other things, like running 2.4km in under 9:45 for a gold, 11:20 for a silver and 12:30 for a bronze.

and lats is a perfectly serviceable abbreviation - ask any gym junkie out there what they are, and you'll see what i mean. not that i'm a gym junkie, of course, oh no...

btw, running doesn't really help your erg times. trust me. i ran the entire summer, came back 12 secs slower than pre-summer. and i was doing it quite religiously, about 4km every 2 days... perhaps you could try rigging some sort of pseudo-ski to ski down that hill of yours, if it's as steep as you claim it is. or roller blade up and down a few times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    and lats is a perfectly serviceable abbreviation - ask any gym junkie out there what they are, and you'll see what i mean. not that i'm a gym junkie, of course, oh no...

btw, running doesn't really help your erg times. trust me. i ran the entire summer, came back 12 secs slower than pre-summer. and i was doing it quite religiously, about 4km every 2 days... perhaps you could try rigging some sort of pseudo-ski to ski down that hill of yours, if it's as steep as you claim it is. or roller blade up and down a few times?
    But I'm not a gym junkie - I'm a medical student :p: and I'd never heard of that. Ooops.

I know, but currently I don't have erg times, so I'm just attempting to make some improvement in my aerobic fitness by the only way that's currently possible. The trouble with skiing down the hill would be that it's a road :rolleyes: and the bit that's grassy is full of cows. God I love the countryside!

Have been cooking today, stuff for Christmas, but can't eat any of it yet! I hate my diet as well as hating running! Is this worth it, I ask myself? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    <pokes head in>

:elefant:

hehe Are they ginger?

When did you first come to the UK dude?
    I have no idea what colour they are. I'm short sighted. But if you want to find out, I'll lend you the DVD. It's really interesting to see what I dare to post at this place.

I came over about 4 and half years ago.

In other news. Dude buys island

After 2 days away from internet, I have 12 mails in my hotmail inbox and numerous other new mails in my hermes inbox, can't be bother to count myself. So, computer, do the counting for me.

I'm starting to think that we, the TSR bunch, really sucks now. Looking back at the summer holiday, we manage over 100 post a day. Now? We are lucky if we manage 10 per day. We suck!! (at spamming, to be precise, you lot suck at spamming. Spamming is what I do for a living.)

ReputationRep:
    but the thing is this thread seems to take longer to load than other threads.....have they been fiddling with the code to make it incredibly inefficient at obtaining threads!? because I reckon they've turned it into an algorithm of order O(n) where n is the number of posts, whereas before it could well have been along the lines of O(log n) since it only needed to obtain the last 20 odd posts!

ReputationRep:
    em... if it only needs to obtain the last 20 then surely that makes it O(1), i.e. a constant time complexity. Em... I'm going to send an e-mail to Larry, see what he thinks of it.

ReputationRep:
    well the thing is it needs to do a search through the database for the last 20 posts, and that algorithm can't be of order O(1) because it cant know exactly which posts to go for

ReputationRep:
    ^THIS^ is why people post here less often:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    hear hear

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, couldn't have said it better myself

So, dead people then...

ReputationRep:
    hey! we were merely having a highly intellectual conversation! how often have we had to put up with your various rantings about some obscure muscle which is probably responsible for human's ability to eat radish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    hey! we were merely having a highly intellectual conversation! how often have we had to put up with your various rantings about some obscure muscle which is probably responsible for human's ability to eat radish!
    Not as often as random boatie talk or boring maths/compsi coversations.

ReputationRep:
    He started it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.