Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    hi, this is none other than a message to say how incredibly jealous i am that you people are off to Cambridge ( grades permitting, obviously :rolleyes: )! its a pointless exercise i know but i'm currently bored on my day off from work and thought id just make a reply as this seems a very active thread.
    helo claire m!
    Welcome to the Cam2004 thread, we hope you enjoy your stay
    do you think that people should read 'classic' fiction if they don't want to just because they feel that everyone else is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    thanks to the lovely Adhsur....this thread has become a sticky!!!!

UTO..?! (Irish people will understand this one! )

Nice to see Adhsur is a recruiting Sergeant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    helo claire m!
    Welcome to the Cam2004 thread, we hope you enjoy your stay
    do you think that people should read 'classic' fiction if they don't want to just because they feel that everyone else is?
    I dont think they should read it just simply because "everyone else is". They should read classic fiction simply with having the intention of an open-minded view. People should be able to express an opinion on classic fiction. that may be negative views; for example that they are over-rated or even just very boring, or alternatively very positive views. I don't know how anyone could say that they "don't want to" read classic fiction as that is such a general term, and very closed minded. If people find an author that they dont like, they shoudlnt carry on reading simply to fit in with others, as books are open to criticism and personal views, and therefore arent loved by everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, there are many brilliant books written today, which we have no idea whether they themselves will become classics for they would represent the trends and social attitudes of the day. I, for one, am a great fan of Ben Elton!

ReputationRep:
    Plus, there are many brilliant books written today, which we have no idea whether they themselves will become classics for they would represent the trends and social attitudes of the day. I, for one, am a great fan of Ben Elton!
    michael crichton
    i started reading sense and sensibility and i really couldnt get into it. It made me feel uncultured because the writing style was so convoluted that i found it really difficult to follow (and i dont think im unintelligent ) i just like my books to move at a fast pace and be easy to understand.
    Ah well its each to their own i guess...

(btw - who's ben elton and what does he write? is it sci-fi or romance or what? im not a great reader...)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Fluffstar(btw - who's ben elton and what does he write? is it sci-fi or romance or what? im not a great reader...)[/QUOTE]

???

One of the greatest British comic genii ever born

ReputationRep:
    michael crichton
    i started reading sense and sensibility and i really couldnt get into it. It made me feel uncultured because the writing style was so convoluted that i found it really difficult to follow (and i dont think im unintelligent ) i just like my books to move at a fast pace and be easy to understand.
    Ah well its each to their own i guess...

(btw - who's ben elton and what does he write? is it sci-fi or romance or what? im not a great reader...)
    Ben Elton was the writer of Blackadder (though im not much of a fan of that). His books are very satirical and examine current issues, e.g. the environment, big business power, the rise of reality television. He uses characters that the reader can identify with and this makes them easy to understand. They are however heavily political and use very dark humour,and i can see why some people would not enjoy this. I did A-level english lit and started reading ben elton after AS exams as a completely alternative type of fiction.

btw. i recognise the name michael crichton, but don't know who this is. Remember to dumb things down for me - im not an oxbridge applicant!

ReputationRep:
    Ben Elton was the writer of Blackadder (though im not much of a fan of that). His books are very satirical and examine current issues, e.g. the environment, big business power, the rise of reality television. He uses characters that the reader can identify with and this makes them easy to understand. They are however heavily political and use very dark humour,and i can see why some people would not enjoy this. I did A-level english lit and started reading ben elton after AS exams as a completely alternative type of fiction.

btw. i recognise the name michael crichton, but don't know who this is. Remember to dumb things down for me - im not an oxbridge applicant!
    Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park and loads of other really good sci-fi techy books. read em all about 10 times i love them
    I dont get politics at all and it does make me feel ignorant somewhat. I do try to choose my vote properly though
    I may get one of his books out if they can maybe help me to understand politics better? Could you recommend one for a complete politics novice?

ReputationRep:
    try Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres, if you haven't already. the book is great... the movie is okay, but doesn't really do justice to his writing...

I second Captain Corelli's Mandolin.. I also enjoyed Wild Swans recently.

one thing you can try is getting books on tape! i really like them - you can normally get them for less than £1 from your library.. they are great for bringing all the voices to life, especially when there are lots of scary-looking unpronouncable chinese words (a la wild swans)

and you can listen to them in the car, on the bus etc if you have a walkman, fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Why not read something good? Byron maybe.
    You're kidding right? That **** was the cause of two years of suffering as I had to study some of his **** for GCSE.

(Original post by Ralfskini)
    You're kidding right? That **** was the cause of two years of suffering as I had to study some of his **** for GCSE.
    Byron! one of the only famous people to have lived on my bus route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Sorry, gunga din... Kipling a bit on the imperialist Englishman side to spark any interest in a seditious wee Irishman like myself (going to Cambridge... hmmm...)
    Don't worry pol, it's Faboba who got it wrong. Acaila is not Akela from the Jungle Book or the cub leader type person. Different sounding middle syllable. Acaila is the leader of a tribe of elves in Raymond E. Feist's books. Not a major character, but the first one I saw when I opened the book at random looking for a name to use.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park and loads of other really good sci-fi techy books. read em all about 10 times i love them
    I dont get politics at all and it does make me feel ignorant somewhat. I do try to choose my vote properly though
    I may get one of his books out if they can maybe help me to understand politics better? Could you recommend one for a complete politics novice?
    his books won't help you understand politics anymore than you already do - they mainly face corruption in politics and society. I would however recommend High Society by Ben Elton. The blurb reads:

The war on drugs has been lost. The simple fact is that the world is rapidly becoming one vast criminal network. From pop stars and royal princes to crack whores and street kids, from the Groucho Club toilets to the poppy fields of Afghanistan, we are all partners in crime.
    High Society is a story about Britain today, a criminal nation in which everybody is either breaking the law or knows people who do. It takes the reader on a hilarious, heartbreaking and terrifying journey through the kaleidoscope world that the law has created and from which the law offers no protection.

ReputationRep:
    Ben Elton also wrote the story for We Will Rock You

ReputationRep:
    Fluffstar, if you read for escapism then Ben Elton is probably not really for you, but seriously give it a go. As well as We Will Rock You he did The Young Ones, The Thin Blue Line ( possibly worst t.v. programme EVER made) the film Maybe Baby (again not my cup of tea) and another musical with Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Beautiful Game. Sorry i have really digressed from the Classics topic!

ReputationRep:
    Also, im glad you consider your vote properly, as long as you think long and hard to come the conclusion of the Liberal Democrats! But thats a whole other thread...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe You'd make a great politician clare

And don't worry, thread hijacking is an artform in these parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Hehe You'd make a great politician clare

And don't worry, thread hijacking is an artform in these parts
    good good. Atleast people actually listen and answer on this thread. I will be going to Exeter in September and nobody ever goes on the exeter thread, just me talking to myself, and maybe the moderaters!! I could never be a british politician, im FAR too diplomatic!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh my cousin just graduated from Exeter . He really liked it.
    So what are you going to study?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.