The Student Room Group
Reply 100
crana
Exams :frown:

I know. I've found my life's a lot nicer if i just believe that i've got the grades... :smile:
Fluffstar
I know. I've found my life's a lot nicer if i just believe that i've got the grades... :smile:

however if yours went badly like mine did, you will then be heading for big disappointment on the 19th...

I'm quite happy about going to my insurance, but then I will be extra happy if I do by some miracle get my grades.

The only problem with that is that all my insane christian friends have been praying for me for all of my exams and i said if I made my offer i might become a believer............

Anyway, Nottingham is a lovely and wonderous place. Look at its advantages over Cambridge.

1. Cambridge has parks with pretentious godly names that are also somewhat scary (Christ's Piece?? Urgh!). Nottingham has down to earth parks with normal names and strangely fun playgrounds.

2. You can buy a house here for less than £2 million.

3. Our local news is much more interesting and usually features guns.

4. I could live at home if I so desired

5. Nottm uni is really near a hospital, whereas in cambridge it's a good busride away (however, I will concede that Cambridge has the advantage of having a maternity unit with my name, i mean, how cool is that) so its easy if you have some kind of accident to go there

6. in nottingham you get called duck which is just better.

7. we have colour coded buses

8. we have TRAMS

9. um

10. nottingham like me and gave me a lower offer whereas camvbridge gave me a nasty one (i think nottingham just felt sorry for me because they know what where i live is like)

11. I could live at home if I wanted to

12. you don't get as many annoying tourists

13. does cambridge have robin hood? no? thought not!

14. im bored of this now
Just realised I listed living at home twice.

It's really not that good a thing, I should point out.
crana
Exams :frown:

But you still have AEAs and olympiads as back up.
Ralfskini
But you still have AEAs and olympiads as back up.

AEAs - I still need to get 3 A's even if I get a merit in an AEA.

olympiads - i wasnt even entered for one of them and i dont think the other one would carry that much wait.

But its ok becasue nottingham rocks my sock in a wok, whereas cambridge is just a bit crap really (Punts?? Pah! We have the HMS Nottingham......(i do seem to recall it hitting some rocks and being ruined tho))
Reply 105
:smile: okay i give up!

(by the way, i may be being stoopid, but whats an olympiad?)
Fluffstar
:smile: okay i give up!

(by the way, i may be being stoopid, but whats an olympiad?)

olympiads are like... did you ever do the maths challenge at school?

They are organised normally by professional bodies eg Institute of Biology and you do an exam, and then the people who did best in the exam go on to the next round until it's eventually whittled down to a small team of about 4 people who represent the UK in an international competition against other countries.

Usually they seem to give medals, merits etc to people based on the first round exam.
Reply 107
wow you must be a GENIUS! maybe i should be a bit more worried about my grades if someone like you is thinking that they failed!
Fluffstar
wow you must be a GENIUS! maybe i should be a bit more worried about my grades if someone like you is thinking that they failed!

.........?
I never said I did well in them!

I did the chemistry paper and it was so crappy school didn't even bother entering it! I got a gold in biology, but didn't get past the first round!

So no, not a genius!! sadly!

Rosie
Reply 109
:smile: i just meant that cus id never heard of them i clearly wasn't thought capable of doing them. sounds like loads of fun though...not! more exams?!
Also you did an AEA (know what that is!) which is no mean feat.
Fluffstar
:smile: i just meant that cus id never heard of them i clearly wasn't thought capable of doing them. sounds like loads of fun though...not! more exams?!
Also you did an AEA (know what that is!) which is no mean feat.

no it's just that not that many schools do them!

and doing an aea is not the same as doing well in it ! :tongue:

fingers crossed for august tho - because to be truthful nottingham isnt really that great is it.. :frown:

rosie
Oh and by the way! I like your sig.
Reply 112
What's your Nottingham offer if you don't mind my asking crana?

Squishy
There's no way I was going to one of the tradition-stuffed colleges overloaded with tourists, so I looked for colleges on the west side of the city, not too far from the centre, but quieter and closer to the science buildings in West Cambridge...my top choices were Robinson, Queens', Selwyn and Newnham, but a birth defect scrapped my chances at Newnham, so I chose Robinson in the end because the people there were really friendly (plus great supervisor for my subject). And the accommodation is really good. Being the baby Cambridge college does have its advantages. :biggrin:

What subject are you going for? :smile:

Me's applying for SPS :smile: Sounds absolutely fandabbydozie! :biggrin:
And don't worry, we girls won't mind if you're a teensy bit defective :biggrin:
The accommodation is fabulous isn't it? After seeing my cousin's room in halls at Glasgow, I was prepared for the worst but my friend's room in Robinson is super :smile:.
Acaila
What's your Nottingham offer if you don't mind my asking crana?.

ABB (from any of my 4 a levels, I think? but maybe was B's or above in biology and chemistry?). I think they said they had normally made AAB that year but made me an "inducement offer" of ABB. Or something. (lol, i know its not really significant, but it made me feel special dammit! screw you, cambridge with your AAAB!) This is for the Biochem & Genetics course.
Reply 114
crana
ABB (from any of my 4 a levels, I think? but maybe was B's or above in biology and chemistry?). I think they said they had normally made AAB that year but made me an "inducement offer" of ABB. Or something. (lol, i know its not really significant, but it made me feel special dammit! screw you, cambridge with your AAAB!) This is for the Biochem & Genetics course.

:smile: AAAB?! you poor thing! i think theres an interesting thread somewhere with "worst ever cambridge offers..." :smile:
hi

i've already posted about this on other threads, but seeing as gzftan kindly invited me to post on this one, i'll introduce myself again!
My name is Amy (Amy-Alys really)
I hope to be studying Architecture:biggrin:
at Selwyn College!:biggrin:
my offer is AAB (but in specified subjects - damn!)

am glad to see this thread hasn't been hijacked yet!
Reply 116
AAB!!! lucky, lucky, lucky.... :smile: (okay not lucky but clearly great applicant)

You'll be just across the road from me in Newnham - you're well lucky if you're lectures are on the sidgwick site cus tis right next door isnt it? :biggrin:
Reply 117
Yay! Another Amy :smile:

crana

AAAB! :eek: Ouchie! That's rather nasty {hugs crana}

Well Nottingham seem to like you :smile:
Fluffstar

Is that arrogant vanity, or just realism? I have (like you all, I assume) always got A's in evrything. 100% in most... I respect people who say things like "I know I got straight A's", until they don't, and then I :tongue:
Reply 119
polthegael
Is that arrogant vanity, or just realism? I have (like you all, I assume) always got A's in evrything. 100% in most... I respect people who say things like "I know I got straight A's", until they don't, and then I :tongue:

self-preservation. After S1 (why did i screw up the EASIEST MODULE DAMMIT!!) i'd convinced myself i hadnt got in, but hey, i thought i might as well enjoy the feeling of getting in to cambridge for as long as possible :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending