Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    That is on my mind. Thanks for reminding me. Do you know how I can get one? (the internship of course)
    Apply to lots and lots of places.
    The careers service has a vacation work email list - get on that. Apply to anything the lab sends out about vacation work - Jan Samol frequently sends out emails and they're normally for companies with strong camb links. The head of lab is a very prominent businessman around here, if you find a computing job in Cambridge chances are he's a co-founder or director of the company.

I think the careers service also has a list of who advertised for vacation placements last year, searching them out and applying is a good idea. It is harder in your first year but I was working with a couple of first year interns over the summer so it is possible.

Last year I think I applied to about 12 companies, 1 interview, 1 job. Another compsci in Clare applied to nearer 30 I think. Have a good cv in something like pdf ready and a relatively standard covering letter which can be adapted to suit different companies easily.

With getting jobs it seems to be quantity that's important, which is why I'm ****ed for having only applied for one job so far and you should also get on with it.

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Which Sunday? Today, or next week? I'm booked for the pub today!

I think I've had Welsh cakes, my Grandma and her sisters used to make them
    Next Sunday, but don't know when or where. I've lost my Sky Blue and other sheets. Not today though, I'm still being bored to tears by being at home. I stupidily found it odd that no one had tried or even heard of them, I know they're Welsh (clever aren't I?) but they're so common I just assumed everyone had them, like scones or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Apply to lots and lots of places.
    The careers service has a vacation work email list - get on that. Apply to anything the lab sends out about vacation work - Jan Samol frequently sends out emails and they're normally for companies with strong camb links. The head of lab is a very prominent businessman around here, if you find a computing job in Cambridge chances are he's a co-founder or director of the company.

A.
    How can I get myself onto that list? Where is the career service's office anyway? Do you think it's a good idea to go down to career serivce with my CV at some point just to make sure that it's a good CV that I'll be sending off? Must say that I have never written a CV properly before. What is this cover letter anyway?

if you think I'm just too "noob" at cv writing, feel free to point me to some CV for dummies books or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    if you get one of those super cheap tickets it can be worth buying two for the extra luggae allowance
    Easyjet don't fly from Lausanne to Stansted

ReputationRep:
    One more question, what kind of job can a first year do?

ReputationRep:
    there are always office junior type jobs going- photocopying, shredding, stapling etc

ReputationRep:
    How can I get myself onto that list? Where is the career service's office anyway? Do you think it's a good idea to go down to career serivce with my CV at some point just to make sure that it's a good CV that I'll be sending off? Must say that I have never written a CV properly before. What is this cover letter anyway?

if you think I'm just too "noob" at cv writing, feel free to point me to some CV for dummies books or whatever.
    (Original post by the ever helpful fiona)
    Copies of "CVs and Cover Letters", an excellent publication written by
    career advisors at Cambridge University Careers Service, are now
    available free of charge to all students. You can collect your copy
    from the [email protected] room in WGB or alternatively from the Careers
    Service at Stuart House, Mill Lane.
    I paid a sum total of £1.50 for my copy, and now you can get it for free! I suggest you get a copy, I don't think the careers service are as useful if you're a first year but you should go and talk to them as they're very friendly. They live in the old looking building on Mill lane (road opposite pembroke). There's lots of pamphlets and so forth in the careers room in the lab too.

Cover letter is something that you send with the cv that basically says, "I want to do this job because.... " but nobody is that honest so it's all HR bull in the end. You're welcome to send me your cv and I'll rip it apart if you want some other opinions before you show it to anyone else, I saw some of the cvs for jobs at the place I was working over the summer and they were attrocious.
    You can get on the mailling list on the careers website (off the top of my head www.careers.cam.ac.uk).

A.

ReputationRep:
    One more question, what kind of job can a first year do?
    In theory you know how to program, in Java at least, but in practice you don't and you don't know anything decent until you've done CSA and DSA in the second year. Most compscis are profficient in self taught skills as well as those taught at uni, most of my work in the summer was using C++.

Generally people will hire you if you're willing to learn and are clever though, as there isn't a whole lot of difference between say C# and Java.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might try and get a job in college over thje summer doing housekeeping four hours a day (4.50 and hour + free board and a free meal) and then spend the rest of the time in the UL getting clever,

MB

ReputationRep:
    Need help! :cool:

Can anyone remember the name of the other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? I've got Donatello, Michelangelo & Raphael, but there were four at least I'm sure! Which one liked pizza and said 'cowabunga dudes'?

It's quite important, my sister is 21 today and because I can't get her real present just yet, I wanted to get something a little odd to remind her of the crazy games we played when we were little and you can't get Thunder Cats figures! :eek: I did think about Syllvanian Families, but we played with them rather than acting it out! If anyone can remember the whole or most of the theme tune as well it would be much appreciated! I can remember the 'heros in a half shell, turtle power!' bit and the start.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Need help! :cool:

Can anyone remember the name of the other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? I've got Donatello, Michelangelo & Raphael, but there were four at least I'm sure! Which one liked pizza and said 'cowabunga dudes'?

It's quite important, my sister is 21 today and because I can't get her real present just yet, I wanted to get something a little odd to remind her of the crazy games we played when we were little and you can't get Thunder Cats figures! :eek: I did think about Syllvanian Families, but we played with them rather than acting it out! If anyone can remember the whole or most of the theme tune as well it would be much appreciated! I can remember the 'heros in a half shell, turtle power!' bit and the start.

Thanks

Leonardo is the fourth.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Here you are Katie - http://toys.listings.ebay.co.uk/TV_T...sortpropertyZ1

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Here you are Katie - http://toys.listings.ebay.co.uk/TV_T...sortpropertyZ1

MB
    Thanks, but the point is I need to buy it today, she's home in a few hours! I might get her one anyway though, to go with her other present that she can't have for a while yet. We used to play Thunder Cats all the time, drove my parents up the wall!
    I just wanted to give her something today.

EDIT: I've just bought a 'Mikey' figure, they've changed the names! :eek: I'm actually quite sad about this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    In theory you know how to program, in Java at least, but in practice you don't and you don't know anything decent until you've done CSA and DSA in the second year. Most compscis are profficient in self taught skills as well as those taught at uni, most of my work in the summer was using C++.

Generally people will hire you if you're willing to learn and are clever though, as there isn't a whole lot of difference between say C# and Java.

Alaric.
    OK... I think I'd better get started if I want any money coming my way this summer. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Ah... What? I'm not allowed to use the Careers Services website because I'm not registered?! Doh!

ReputationRep:
    We are closing in on the 13000 posts target... So the thread revival movment continues.

ReputationRep:
    W00T!? I have a test to do for CompSci on the 19th!? Ah man, this is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    hey quit complaining, i'm still struggling with the first exercises from the discrete maths booklet.....i hate it when i cant do anything it gets me so worked up!

ReputationRep:
    Ah... What? I'm not allowed to use the Careers Services website because I'm not registered?! Doh!
    you can register on the site. halfway down the page on the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    you can register on the site. halfway down the page on the left.
    W00T!? I am obviously blind.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.