Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    even so, my mind blankens at words with too many x's and z's!
    Here's a tip for ya! X's are pronouced like s's...and z's is kinda like 'ts' together

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Hey crana, how's you doing today?

(Can you tell this is turning into a chit chat thread? )
    Chit chat is good...i like chit chat! You can chat on this thread...as long as its not closed discussions....open discussions are nicer!

G

ReputationRep:
    i shall probably be nice until results day and if i get all my A's, i shall be resentful that i never applied to Cambridge and that you lot did! I shall probably post evil faces like this: :mad: and then you will KNOW im mad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i shall probably be nice until results day and if i get all my A's, i shall be resentful that i never applied to Cambridge and that you lot did! I shall probably post evil faces like this: :mad: and then you will KNOW im mad!
    Well..until that day..you're more than welcome to post here!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    School finished a few weeks ago, but I do drama outside of school time. Our holiday homework includes writing a scene for the plays we're writing in groups, so I'm attempting to do mine now. It features people emerging from wheelie bins
    Wheelie bins eh??? I shall be careful next time i walk past them for people emerging..............

G

(Original post by gzftan)
    Here's a tip for ya! X's are pronouced like s's...and z's is kinda like 'ts' together

G
    so they should just write them with s's and ts's to make it easier for linguistically-challenged people like me!

also J's being said like y's...what is up with this....if you are going to specifically write it in english characters to make it easier for non chinese speaking dummies.......pick good letters! dont pick random ones that sound like something else!

e.g. in wild swans - Dr Xia - I would think this was sais "zee - ah" but actually it's "Shi-ah".... :confused:

and dont even go into when they decided to change how they wrote things...i did The rise of communist china in GCSE history and one book was all about Mao Tse-Tung and the other one was Mao Ze-Dung and aiiiii i mean that one wasnt too hard but some of them i was so lost

im listening to another one now - the bone setter's daughter - but the only chinese names I've come across are Lao Ling and Guang Ling which are probably written Xiaohjasdh and Zuiasoa Ling......hehehe (jk)

Wheelie bins eh??? I shall be careful next time i walk past them for people emerging..............

G
    in liverpool they have PURPLE WHEELIE BINS its amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    e.g. in wild swans - Dr Xia - I would think this was sais "zee - ah" but actually it's "Shi-ah".... :confused:
    Names don't translate well between languages. My mum's surname is Xiao, and it's pronounced "Show" (rhymes with cow).

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the book info claire! i'll try and give one of em a go
    evening all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    so they should just write them with s's and ts's to make it easier for linguistically-challenged people like me!

also J's being said like y's...what is up with this....if you are going to specifically write it in english characters to make it easier for non chinese speaking dummies.......pick good letters! dont pick random ones that sound like something else!

and dont even go into when they decided to change how they wrote things...i did The rise of communist china in GCSE history and one book was all about Mao Tse-Tung and the other one was Mao Ze-Dung and aiiiii i mean that one wasnt too hard but some of them i was so lost

im listening to another one now - the bone setter's daughter - but the only chinese names I've come across are Lao Ling and Guang Ling which are probably written Xiaohjasdh and Zuiasoa Ling......hehehe (jk)
    Lol....almost there!!

xia = see-ah

As for J's being said like y's??? I don't think that's right.....:confused:

As for different spellings of names and words...its probably because there are many different chinese dialects...mandarin and cantonese are the 2 main ones...so they are pronounced in different ways in each of these dialects..though many are very similar to each other! Confusing no?!

Guang ling is pronounced how its written...guang ling...lao ling is l-ow (as in you just hurt yourself) ling.

Easy once you know it!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    in liverpool they have PURPLE WHEELIE BINS its amazing
    Purple!!?!?!?!? :confused:

What did they do?? Mix the green one with the brown one?!?! (Does that even make purple colour???)

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    cheers for the book info claire! i'll try and give one of em a go
    evening all
    Gd evening! We're currently discussing crazy chinese pronounciation

G

ReputationRep:

G
    ooh good im going to visit my dad in hong kong in september so i need to know a little bit of chinese

ReputationRep:

G
    English pronunciation can be worse though.

I take it you already know
    Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
    Others may stumble but not you,
    On hiccough, thorough, lough and through,
    Well done. And now you wish, perhaps,
    To learn of less familiar traps.
    Beware of heard, a dreadful word
    That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
    And dead: It's said like bed, not bead
    For goodness sake don't call it "deed".
    Watch out for meat and great and threat,
    (They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
    A moth is not a moth in mother,
    Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
    And here is not a match for there,
    Nor dear and fear for bear and pear.
    And then there's dose and rose and lose -
    Just look them up - and goose and choose;
    And cork and work and card and ward
    And font and front and work and sword
    And do and go and thwart and cart -
    Come, come I've hardly made a start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I take it you already know
    Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
    Others may stumble but not you,
    On hiccough, thorough, lough and through,
    Well done. And now you wish, perhaps,
    To learn of less familiar traps.
    Beware of heard, a dreadful word
    That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
    And dead: It's said like bed, not bead
    For goodness sake don't call it "deed".
    Watch out for meat and great and threat,
    (They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
    A moth is not a moth in mother,
    Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
    And here is not a match for there,
    Nor dear and fear for bear and pear.
    And then there's dose and rose and lose -
    Just look them up - and goose and choose;
    And cork and work and card and ward
    And font and front and work and sword
    And do and go and thwart and cart -
    Come, come I've hardly made a start!
    Hehe funny! I suppose you're right...but since english is my first language..its much easier for me. Also..at least english doesn't have thousands of words pronounced the same..but meaning different things!

G

ReputationRep:
    ooh good im going to visit my dad in hong kong in september so i need to know a little bit of chinese
    Ooh! Have fun!

Unfortunately....i only know a smidge of mandarin chinese...they speak cantonese in HK...never mind....Hong Kong's quite anglicised i'd imagine...so you should be fine!

G

ReputationRep:
    Ooh! Have fun!

Unfortunately....i only know a smidge of mandarin chinese...they speak cantonese in HK...never mind....Hong Kong's quite anglicised i'd imagine...so you should be fine!

G
    here's hoping!

lol - great post squishy i may have to cut-and-paste that

ReputationRep:
    Hehe funny! I suppose you're right...but since english is my first language..its much easier for me. Also..at least english doesn't have thousands of words pronounced the same..but meaning different things!

G
    Yes, you called my mother a horse, and now she's hemp!

Hong Kong will be all right on just English I think (although do not ask any of my friends to teach you Cantonese...all they did was feed me swear words).

ReputationRep:
    lol - great post squishy i may have to cut-and-paste that
    Hehe..try reading it outloud really fast...its like a gigantic tongue-twister

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Yes, you called my mother a horse, and now she's hemp!

Hong Kong will be all right on just English I think (although do not ask any of my friends to teach you Cantonese...all they did was feed me swear words).
    Did you not learn chinese as a lad? I was forced to go to chinese school every saturday morning for years..luckily rugby came and rescued me

G

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.