Cya later guys (and gals)
    Going to play Star Wars:Galaxies with the boyfriend
    Byebye..go and thrash him!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    lol - great post squishy i may have to cut-and-paste that
    'tis one of my favourite poems.

"The Spelling Chequer (or poet tree without mist takes)" is hilarious too.

Eye have a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marks four my revue
    Miss steaks eye cannot see

etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    'tis one of my favourite poems.

"The Spelling Chequer (or poet tree without mist takes)" is hilarious too.
    lol
    oh yeah and whats with the sig? there aint no grey in binson? wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Cya later guys (and gals)
    Going to play Star Wars:Galaxies with the boyfriend
    Later!

(Original post by gzftan)
    Did you not learn chinese as a lad? I was forced to go to chinese school every saturday morning for years..luckily rugby came and rescued me

G
    Actually, Chinese (well, the Hunan dialect anyway) was my first language, but through wanton neglect, I barely speak it any more...my spoken Chinese is actually abysmal, even worse than my French and German. I'm planning on picking it up some time over the next few years when I have some time to go travelling.

Rugby might be more interesting for you, but at least you'll end up with more limbs in working order learning Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    lol
    oh yeah and whats with the sig? there aint no grey in binson? wtf?
    Ahh, someone reads my sig.

Acaila and I both want to remove the grey from the Robinson scarf.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby might be more interesting for you, but at least you'll end up with more limbs in working order learning Chinese.
    Ha! You've never had my dad trying to get you to to learn chinese in your spare time...it's undoubtedly hazardous...to my health at least.

G

ReputationRep:
    Ha! You've never had my dad trying to get you to to learn chinese in your spare time...it's undoubtedly hazardous...to my health at least.

G
    Why, did he pin you down and bash bricks against your head until you agreed to learn Chinese?

Ahhh, you've got me thinking about the song "Kung Fu Fighting" now...it's crap though!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, someone reads my sig.

Acaila and I both want to remove the grey from the Robinson scarf.
    ah. i want to pinch the pembroke scarf as i have mentioned before. Grey is just such a drab colour - the Newnham scarf is almost totally grey!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, things happen to clothes in the wash. I could just bleach my scarf.

(Original post by Acaila)
    Hey crana, how's you doing today?

(Can you tell this is turning into a chit chat thread? )
    hellooooooooooo, im nt bad thanks, going out in a min, and yourself (i know you arent actually here..!)

rosie

Names don't translate well between languages. My mum's surname is Xiao, and it's pronounced "Show" (rhymes with cow).
    Like Deng Xiaoping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Like Deng Xiaoping!
    Yes, but only in name. Not in person.

Lol....almost there!!

xia = see-ah

As for J's being said like y's??? I don't think that's right.....:confused:

As for different spellings of names and words...its probably because there are many different chinese dialects...mandarin and cantonese are the 2 main ones...so they are pronounced in different ways in each of these dialects..though many are very similar to each other! Confusing no?!

Guang ling is pronounced how its written...guang ling...lao ling is l-ow (as in you just hurt yourself) ling.

Easy once you know it!

G
    well on my tape she said it was "Shia" so nerrr (i dont think she was chinese though. so?)

and Im sure "Jung Chang" - the author - was pronounced "yung chang"

actually.. those two names were off my tape, that's just how they sound! I have no idea how they are written.. *looks at tape packet* oh it's LuLing apparently (not sure why I thought it was Lao)

even I can cope with this author's name though - Amy Tan - easy peasy

Purple!!?!?!?!? :confused:

What did they do?? Mix the green one with the brown one?!?! (Does that even make purple colour???)

G
    its actually bright purple! its fantastico

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    even I can cope with this author's name though - Amy Tan - easy peasy
    Actually no, that's pronounced "Am I Ten"?

Actually no, that's pronounced "Am I Ten"?
    im not sure if you are joking but im going to keep calling her amy tan anyway, dammit!

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong will be all right on just English I think (although do not ask any of my friends to teach you Cantonese...all they did was feed me swear words).
    the hong kong english accent is... interesting. i've got a couple of hong kong friends, and it does take a bit of getting used to, more so than the irish, scottish, european, or even malaysian english accents...

oh, and cantonese is just about the most civilised sounding of the chinese dialects... if you thought swearing in cantonese was bad, try the more colourful versions of hokkien. (i've heard semi-deaf old ladies discussing recipes in the market before in hokkien, and they sounded like they were cursing each other's ancestors or something!)

and isn't it interesting, that when most people start learning a new language/dialect, one of the first few things that they pick up is vulgarities? (at least i found that was the case with french and german for myself...)

amy tan is a good writer. try the joy luck club (by her) - very poignant story, especially if you can empathise with both sides of the story (a bit schizo, but hey, blame it on my upbringing... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    the hong kong english accent is... interesting. i've got a couple of hong kong friends, and it does take a bit of getting used to, more so than the irish, scottish, european, or even malaysian english accents...

oh, and cantonese is just about the most civilised sounding of the chinese dialects... if you thought swearing in cantonese was bad, try the more colourful versions of hokkien. (i've heard semi-deaf old ladies discussing recipes in the market before in hokkien, and they sounded like they were cursing each other's ancestors or something!)
    well i got used to the singapore chinese accent so hopefully getting used to the hong kong one won't be so bad

ReputationRep:
    well i got used to the singapore chinese accent so hopefully getting used to the hong kong one won't be so bad
    oh? you know any singaporeans?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.