Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    oh, and cantonese is just about the most civilised sounding of the chinese dialects... if you thought swearing in cantonese was bad, try the more colourful versions of hokkien. (i've heard semi-deaf old ladies discussing recipes in the market before in hokkien, and they sounded like they were cursing each other's ancestors or something!)
    You're right in that Hokkien is really funny sounding ...however..i disagree with your views on cantonese. I think it sounds too harsh and abrupt....i prefer mandarin..much easier on the ear.

Just my opinion though

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    ah. i want to pinch the pembroke scarf as i have mentioned before. Grey is just such a drab colour - the Newnham scarf is almost totally grey!!
    Really?! I was quite amused to find out that Newnham colours are the same as my schools, blue, grey & yellow...

I did the Chinese Communism GCSE history paper (the only one in my school to do so!) and I sympathise with the spelling problems! They have loads of variations for the same people, but if I spelt one wrong I could be on about someone completely different! Incidently, can you pick up a language while at Cambridge? I think it might prove useful to my course/carear...

ReputationRep:
    I'm back!

have you missed me??
    i had a great time in cornwall - sailing and swimming - and it was sunny (most of the time!)

wow 63 pages! well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    I'm back!

have you missed me??
    i had a great time in cornwall - sailing and swimming - and it was sunny (most of the time!)

wow 63 pages! well done!

Can't really say I've missed you, but welcome back all the same!

(Original post by Katie J)
    I did the Chinese Communism GCSE history paper (the only one in my school to do so!) and I sympathise with the spelling problems!
    we did it too but it wasn't an exam it was coursework only for that topic. i found my coursework the other day, my favourite bit is when it talks about the leaders sounding "brainless"

hehe

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    You're right in that Hokkien is really funny sounding ...however..i disagree with your views on cantonese. I think it sounds too harsh and abrupt....i prefer mandarin..much easier on the ear.

Just my opinion though

G
    In my further Maths class there were three Chinese students, who all spoke (I think) Cantonese to each other, a Hungarian, and me. What fun we had! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Incidently, can you pick up a language while at Cambridge? I think it might prove useful to my course/carear...
    Yes, you can do so for free through the language centre. It's a great deal and not one to be overlooked - at how many other points in your life will you have such an opportunity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Yes, you can do so for free through the language centre. It's a great deal and not one to be overlooked - at how many other points in your life will you have such an opportunity?
    unless you're a natsci or a medic interested in a limited number of languages (i believe it's russian, french or german), the courses aren't free.

but they aren't particularly expensive either, at GBP35 for 16 weeks... (i know because i intend to pick up spanish next year.) but you do need to write some sort of letter of intent, as well as get DoS approval, i think.

oh, and about chinese, the worst thing is, the taiwanese and mainland chinese spell things differently, which complicates matters too... in fact, taiwanese still use traditional chinese characters, whereas mainland china and most other places have switched to simplified chinese characters... e.g. hsuen (taiwanese sp) = xuan (chinese sp)

never did like chinese language - too bloody complicated. being forced to learn it for 12 years didn't help either...

ReputationRep:
    Incidently, can you pick up a language while at Cambridge? I think it might prove useful to my course/carear...
    I believe you can yes....from what i read in the prospectus...they have these free teach yourself language courses...i might try and pick up chinese again....or maybe french?

Btw- welcome back Scarlet Ibis!

G

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to try that as well. I've only got Standard Grade French, but I could easily have done higher and probably Advanced Higher, I just wanted to take other subjects more. Plus my German could use brushing up and languages may prove useful if I do a politics related career

i want to learn Vietnamese!

i actually have a tape set somewhere and some CDs for learning it. but i got a bit bored, it's a tonal language so it's very hard to learn properly without someone checking your pronounciation.

it's like in thai you can say a sentence tat's something like bam bam bam bam bam and it means "wet wood doesn't burn, does it?" or something along those lines, because all the "bam"s have different tones so mean completely different words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    it's like in thai you can say a sentence tat's something like bam bam bam bam bam and it means "wet wood doesn't burn, does it?" or something along those lines, because all the "bam"s have different tones so mean completely different words.
    Hehe...you sound like that kid from the flintstones

G

ReputationRep:

Btw- welcome back Scarlet Ibis!

G
    thanx!
    continuing with the discussion, i would love to improve my french. i really enjoy it and got A* at GCSE, and have practiced a little on holiday since then, but it would be great to pick it up again!
    russian would be cool too! i started learning a couple of years ago, but had to give up, cos i didn't have time to carry on with the lessons!

ReputationRep:
    thanx!
    continuing with the discussion, i would love to improve my french. i really enjoy it and got A* at GCSE, and have practiced a little on holiday since then, but it would be great to pick it up again!
    russian would be cool too! i started learning a couple of years ago, but had to give up, cos i didn't have time to carry on with the lessons!
    Russian eh? A friend of mine once tried to teach the class russian....crazy....had loads of backwards letters and stuff...would be fun though!

G

ReputationRep:
    Здравствуйте! Did it at school years ago but forgotten it all again!

Me thinks learn English good me for. Me understand not good speaching. Master Yoda teacher me choose.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can yes....from what i read in the prospectus...they have these free teach yourself language courses...i might try and pick up chinese again....or maybe french?
    I thought you spoke Chinese?

(Original post by KHL)
    never did like chinese language - too bloody complicated. being forced to learn it for 12 years didn't help either...
    Yeah, being forced to learn something you don't enjoy never helps you appreciate it...to be fair though, I think most languages are irritatingly complicated. Except Esperanto. That's fun.

I believe Churchill also gives free language lessons, but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i want to learn Vietnamese!

i actually have a tape set somewhere and some CDs for learning it. but i got a bit bored, it's a tonal language so it's very hard to learn properly without someone checking your pronounciation.

Our French teacher taught us something like "Le ver vert va vers la verre vert" or something like that. I think it was actually longer with more verrrrrrs in it but I've forgotten it sadly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Except Esperanto. That's fun.
    lol
    my grandad spoke esperanto! i have an esperanto bible of his - La Sankta Biblio!

pol-
    how do you get russian characters in posts?

ReputationRep:
    Here's one in English...

Try punctuating:

"John whilst Adam had had had had had had had had had the teacher's approval."

ReputationRep:
    pol-
    how do you get russian characters in posts?
    Sadly, it's the only way I know to get accents for my Irish posts as well... Use Word and paste it into your message. Takes bloody ages with Russian as I have no shortcut keys for it!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.