Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Do you get extra points for pulling people from other colleges? Especially the likes of Girton and Homerton.
    Sadly no. But I'm starting quite a reasonable collection :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4217009.stm

Plus, mad cow disease is found in sheeps now.... that makes it the "mad sheep disease"
    as far as i was aware, it is only in a single goat atm, and with current legislation regarding animal feed, eating beef or sheep or goat should not be a risk any more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    as far as i was aware, it is only in a single goat atm, and with current legislation regarding animal feed, eating beef or sheep or goat should not be a risk any more
    OK. goat then... Misremembered the news.

You still want that book Will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    why bother? 4000 odd of us are already DOOMED, DOOMED!

(this was based on a sample size of 3 positive specimens though. hardly that accurate on a larger scale)

also: dont eat your ancestors' brains, ok/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)

****!

ReputationRep:
    why bother? 4000 odd of us are already DOOMED, DOOMED!

(this was based on a sample size of 3 positive specimens though. hardly that accurate on a larger scale)

Still might be quite a lot of us infected though! Yay for optimism...

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4217009.stm

Plus, mad cow disease is found in sheeps now.... that makes it the "mad sheep disease"
    It's called scrapie, and it's been around for ages. I believe that's how cows came to contract the disease in the first place - being fed on infected sheep matter.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    It's called scrapie, and it's been around for ages. I believe that's how cows came to contract the disease in the first place - being fed on infected sheep matter.

Ben
    Actually it isn't scrapie - scrapie is similar but not identical to the prion that causes BSE. This actually was the prion causing BSE. Apparently.

Edit: ta da: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4216431.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Actually it isn't scrapie - scrapie is similar but not identical to the prion that causes BSE. This actually was the prion causing BSE. Apparently.

Edit: ta da: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4216431.stm
    Interesting stuff! Why is disease so much less boring than other things?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Still might be quite a lot of us infected though! Yay for optimism...
    I know... that's why I said the 4000 is probly not that accurate.

OTOH this estimate came from examining thousands of retained appendix & tonsil samples - they found prions in 3, i bveileve, which scaled up to about 3800 people carrying prions in the UK

Good:
    may be disproportionate
    people may not get vCJD from prions in tonsils etc

Bad:
    may be disproportionate
    prions may not have been found in the samples studied (tho they do tend to accumulate to an extent in lymph tissue)

ReputationRep:
    I know... that's why I said the 4000 is probly not that accurate.

OTOH this estimate came from examining thousands of retained appendix & tonsil samples - they found prions in 3, i bveileve, which scaled up to about 3800 people carrying prions in the UK

Good:
    may be disproportionate
    people may not get vCJD from prions in tonsils etc

Bad:
    may be disproportionate
    prions may not have been found in the samples studied (tho they do tend to accumulate to an extent in lymph tissue)
    Aren't tonsils the place to look for prions, if they are there? Why is that, anyway?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I think the general opinion is that they are, yes, but that's not entirely certain. The connection between prions in, say , the tonsils, and prion disease in the brain, isn't really known.

From new scientist (not sure if the link will work for people who don't have a subscriber login. it seems to log me in automatically at college.)

Almost 4000 Britons aged between 10 and 30 may be harbouring the prion proteins that cause the human form of mad cow disease. The new estimate comes from direct analyses of human biopsies, and is much higher than epidemiological projections of the likely number of deaths from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD).

The investigators discovered three infected tonsil or appendix samples from a total of 12,674 stored between 1995 and 1999. However, because so few positive samples were found, the projected total of 3808 can only be speculative. Furthermore, harbouring the prions may not necessarily lead to vCJD.

"I don't think too much should be read into our findings, but they should be investigated further," says David Hilton, of the Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, UK, who led the study.

He notes that only one of the three positive samples matched the usual pattern of prion accumulation seen in confirmed vCJD cases.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn5021

ReputationRep:
    link works

ReputationRep:
    dude, aren't you a subscriber anyway?

I thin kits probably one of the free articles then.

ReputationRep:
    nope i lost my password/cleared cookies/dunno if i got a pwd with my 2nd sub

ReputationRep:
    aargh why is everyone talking about diseases? its glandular fever on one thread, BSE on this one!... ick! :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    aargh why is everyone talking about diseases? its glandular fever on one thread, BSE on this one!... ick! :puke:
    Atleast it's not rowing/maths

ReputationRep:
    ok someone please explain this complete mystery.....

...i was working in the library the past hour or so, and I popped back to my room for a snack to find an email from my brother back at home....with the following content:

wot the ****. i haven't blocked u.

>From: "Willa" <******@hotmail.com>
    >To: <******@hotmail.com>
    >Subject: d
    >Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:10:02 -0000
    >
    >dont block me and i know u did
    Now I obviously didnt send any such email......so this confused me. I had a look in my "sent mail" folder of outlook express and there was one "unread" email in there, which was the email he recieved.

So someone PLEASE explain how mysteriously an email can get sent to my brother without me being near the computer, and without outlook recognising it as a read email (any email i send is automatically marked "read" in the sent items folder!!)

to add to the confusion.....any email i send is sent from "Will".....yet this email is marked from "Willa".

The only possibility I can think of, is that this email is possibly THE MOST delayed email in the world ever.....cos I think I used to use "Willa" as my name about 2 years ago, and so if I happened to have sent this email back then, it might have got lost in the hotmail system and finally found it's way out this evening.....but that seems unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    scary...

it's a wierd subject line too...

hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    ok someone please explain this complete mystery.....

...i was working in the library the past hour or so, and I popped back to my room for a snack to find an email from my brother back at home....with the following content:

Now I obviously didnt send any such email......so this confused me. I had a look in my "sent mail" folder of outlook express and there was one "unread" email in there, which was the email he recieved.

So someone PLEASE explain how mysteriously an email can get sent to my brother without me being near the computer, and without outlook recognising it as a read email (any email i send is automatically marked "read" in the sent items folder!!)

to add to the confusion.....any email i send is sent from "Will".....yet this email is marked from "Willa".

The only possibility I can think of, is that this email is possibly THE MOST delayed email in the world ever.....cos I think I used to use "Willa" as my name about 2 years ago, and so if I happened to have sent this email back then, it might have got lost in the hotmail system and finally found it's way out this evening.....but that seems unlikely!
    did you ever piss off the "dude-in-green"?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.