Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Helenia)
    You can get double sided ones, with uni colours on one side and your college colours on the other. They're more expensive though; over £20 I think. Mine is just a Clare one, with the college crest at one end, but you only notice that if you're properly inspecting it, it can be hidden

In answer to whoever asked, yes, loads of people do wear college scarves around Cambridge, especially in the middle of winter. They're a bit itchy at first, but my school scarf was similar material, so I was used to it, and they're ever so lovely and warm (protect you from the arctic winds across the Fens). Both men and women seem to wear them; there is even one guy who very prominently wears his Corpus scarf to our lectures (bright pink :cool: ), so if you want to, then go for it. Not before you arrive though, of course.
    do you think i can get away with my action man one? its all black so i could say i go to magdalene. ha ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    do you think i can get away with my action man one? its all black so i could say i go to magdalene. ha ha ha.
    Oh, you don't have to wear college scarves! I had two last year, one black/grey fleecy one and one lovely blue fluffy soft one, which were both lovely. Unfortunately I left them both in lecture theatres at some point in the year and lost them

Oh, you don't have to wear college scarves! I had two last year, one black/grey fleecy one and one lovely blue fluffy soft one, which were both lovely. Unfortunately I left them both in lecture theatres at some point in the year and lost them
    but i want to pretend im a member of the elite Action Man College that is so elite no one knows of it

or i could say its a graduate college - the same thing would apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    but i want to pretend im a member of the elite Action Man College that is so elite no one knows of it

or i could say its a graduate college - the same thing would apply
    ...And then again, you could of course try that :rolleyes:

...And then again, you could of course try that :rolleyes:
    i would develop a secret handshake or something for members of the AM college to recognise each other, but since i only have 1 scarf, i guess ill probably be the only member except possibly small boys wandering around/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    I'm holding out till I get there. After all, I hear Sidney is currently engaged in a battle to allow Toasters in the rooms. It mightn't be a bad idea to see if they have a blender already in the communal kitchen.

I know what you mean though. Try whisking egg whites by hand. Argh!
    i'm getting a rice cooker to take down to uni with me...so if you ever want some rice you know where to come hehe

btw i know you can boil it on the stove, but it takes much longer and the starch doesn't get drained. rice cooker rice is soooo much nicer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I've never ever worn a college scarve, though they are quite popular. The most respectable piece of college merchandise; you don't look tacky wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I've never ever worn a college scarve, though they are quite popular. The most respectable piece of college merchandise; you don't look tacky wearing it.
    Yeah, but if I had a Blues splashtop I wouldn't be so worried about a college scarf.

I quite fancy a medsoc rugby shirt, but I don't know if I'd ever wear it outside of Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but if I had a Blues splashtop I wouldn't be so worried about a college scarf.

I quite fancy a medsoc rugby shirt, but I don't know if I'd ever wear it outside of Cambridge.
    Well, yeah I have loads of college and university stuff, but then I have a reason too. I don't walk around Windsor in me splashtop with OXFORD in big white letters on the back, though!

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah I have loads of college and university stuff, but then I have a reason too. I don't walk around Windsor in me splashtop with OXFORD in big white letters on the back, though!
    Oh, but I'm sure you wouldn't stand out round there

I swear I saw someone in Norwich wearing a college splashtop the other day, just when I thought I'd escaped them! I didn't get to see what it was though; if it was a Cambridge one it was Catz, but I'm not 100% sure it was. Definitely a boatie splashtop though :rolleyes:

When I wore my college scarf to Lent bumps (now immortalised thanks to Jet Photographic) someone in the pub asked me what I was doing watching Cambridge bumps if I was at Manchester! Apparently Manchester uni has similar colours to ours :mad: - I just flipped it over and showed them the college crest

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but I'm sure you wouldn't stand out round there

I swear I saw someone in Norwich wearing a college splashtop the other day, just when I thought I'd escaped them! I didn't get to see what it was though; if it was a Cambridge one it was Catz, but I'm not 100% sure it was. Definitely a boatie splashtop though :rolleyes:

When I wore my college scarf to Lent bumps (now immortalised thanks to Jet Photographic) someone in the pub asked me what I was doing watching Cambridge bumps if I was at Manchester! Apparently Manchester uni has similar colours to ours :mad: - I just flipped it over and showed them the college crest
    The Oxford splashtop isn't very nice anyway; the Balliol one is better, and less obvious if you were to wear it outside Oxford. The Cambridge one is awful though, along with the blazers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i'm getting a rice cooker to take down to uni with me...so if you ever want some rice you know where to come hehe

btw i know you can boil it on the stove, but it takes much longer and the starch doesn't get drained. rice cooker rice is soooo much nicer
    Did you ever find out for sure what they have in the kitchens? I imagine it'll all be in the freshers pack but I'd have thought that the kitchens would at least have cookers ( otherwise they should probably known as 'fridge rooms' as without cookers, kitchens they ain't ).

All I can really see myself needing; two cake tins ( bringing), three mixing bowls ( bringing), a toaster ( bringing), a toastie maker ( bringing), a blender, a whisk, a cooker, a fridge, a stove ( I'll make you pancakes before the year is out! ) a freezer and crockery / cutlery stuff ( bringing). I can't imagine that anything calling itself a kitchen would lack any of the stuff I'm not bringing.

Oh and a microwave. For when I get really lazy.

And a sink for washing up but I could always use the one in the room.

Did you try the water when you were down/up for your interview? How was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)

YES!!!! I have to take a rice cooker with me!!! Lol....i currently have rice for dinner every night....i don't think i could survive at uni without it

In terms of kitchens and the such... I think Caius is dd in that you have to buy something like 40 'meal tickets' at the start of each term....and use them to eat in halls. And then there a 'small kitchen for preparing snacks'.

KHL....can you tell me what this kitchen consists of? Cheers

G

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

G

ReputationRep:
    anybody know what the oxford college colours are? I cant seem to find them anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Why not?

G
    I don't tend to wear my college scarf, and wouldn't wear other university stuff if I had it, outside Cambridge either - I don't know if this goes for everyone but there's this nagging worry that you're going to get beaten up if you walk around town wearing something saying "Cambridge". In Cambridge you can get away with anything; outside it I'm more nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I don't tend to wear my college scarf, and wouldn't wear other university stuff if I had it, outside Cambridge either - I don't know if this goes for everyone but there's this nagging worry that you're going to get beaten up if you walk around town wearing something saying "Cambridge". In Cambridge you can get away with anything; outside it I'm more nervous
    Fair enough...that makes sense actually....especially with all the chavs around where i live.

G

(Original post by MadNatSci)
    in my town i highly doubt they would recognise anything. even if you had a tshirt saying "university of cambridge" even if they could read it they would probably think it was one of those fake university teshirts you can get from topshop etc.

if anything they would thnk the scarf was for a football team or something

Did you ever find out for sure what they have in the kitchens? I imagine it'll all be in the freshers pack but I'd have thought that the kitchens would at least have cookers ( otherwise they should probably known as 'fridge rooms' as without cookers, kitchens they ain't ).
    yeah they do normally have cookers but she is going to vbring a special cooker for making rice.

All I can really see myself needing; two cake tins ( bringing), three mixing bowls ( bringing), a toaster ( bringing), a toastie maker ( bringing), a blender, a whisk, a cooker, a fridge, a stove ( I'll make you pancakes before the year is out! ) a freezer and crockery / cutlery stuff ( bringing). I can't imagine that anything calling itself a kitchen would lack any of the stuff I'm not bringing.

id hold out on the toaster and toastie maker unless you already have them - dont buy them specially before you get there. you arentusually allowed a toaster in your room and i think they usually have them in the kitchens. if not, as fwith toastymaker, someone else will probably bring one and you often get like 5 toastymakers all lined up in a student kitchen..lol

what is the difference between a cooker and a stove...?

i also notice you are not planning on using any pans.....!

rosie xx

ReputationRep:
    I believe it actually, originally, came from Eton. Cambridge Blue is Eton Blue.

Yet another reason to dislike cambridge.
    http://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/pdf_files/history.pdf

hmm... i guess they really don't know, do they?

standard gyp rooms all have electric rings (usually 2, and usually one is broken :rolleyes: ), and a small fridge, possibly with a freezer compartment, possibly without. and a sink. that's about the extent of it. (grads get a bit more, but i think nobody here is one, so...)

what you really need, and this is for relatively heavyduty cooking by cambridge standards, is a pot, a pan, a bowl, a plate, cutlery, a good knife, and that's it. toaster/toastie maker, usually people bring one or the other, and is strictly optional - i survived a year without either. oh, and if you're bringing one, please learn to use it without setting off fire alarms - something not everybody seems to know :rolleyes:

microwaves are convenient, but heavy to move around.

water is very, very hard - scales all over the place. bring a filter if you don't like calcium supplements in your daily diet. (colourless milk, anyone )

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.